Staying Motivated

Options
Any tips? I've lost the same 10 pounds 3 times in the last 3 years. I can't stand it anymore. I'm down 10 now and I have another 20 to go, but I've reached the point where I go back to binging and gaining it back. How can I stay motivated? How can I keep from blowing it all and actually getting to my goal this time? Does anyone else have this problem? I really want to make it work this time, but I'm finding myself slipping back into my old habits again! Oh, and I totally ignore that little voice in my head that is screaming at me to stop eating at 11PM! Seriously, I don't even need snack food, it could be as simple as a piece of bread (or 3). Obviously it is a compulsion, or just a bad habit that I'm having a lot of trouble breaking. HELP!!!

Replies

• decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    I failed year after year. I would start a program and get off it for a short period and never get back to it. Then one day I had enough and I started and have not quit; has been over 13 years. In order for you to get to this point you really have to hit the bottom and "WANT IT". Only you can make the difference. I'm probably on a different program that you are however maybe you can find something useful in this.

I'm a 5'8" male and prior I was 193 lbs. I wasn't happy with my weight, I wasn't happy with thinning hair. I wasn't happy with life in general. I had anger problems. The list goes on. I knew I had to make a difference or it would get worse. Here are some things I did.

1. Ate the same meals however didn't overeat. When I felt full I stopped.

2. Cut out sweets; all of them. I had ate dessert with lunch and supper, and snacked at night; I stopped all of that.

3. I stopped drinking pop (soda) completely.

4. Increased my water intake. Water is good for you and also makes you feel full. When hungry I would drink water.

5. Introduced a weight lifting program. I actually got a full body workout from Men's Health Magazine and started that. First 2 days a week then 3 days a week. I started "slow" and with low weights to let my body adjust. Balls to the walls prior had not worked and by starting slow I could work into it.

6. I record EVERYTHING. I have log books from day one showing what I lifted. I write down how I was feeling. Periodic measurements, etc.

7. I write down when I'm going to workout next. I pretty much pre-schedule my time so that I know I have to work out and I "hate" to scratch that out.

8. I hold myself accountable. There is nobody to blame but myself. The only person that is going to keep me motivated is myself.

I never did cardio when I started this. In 6 months, possibly slightly less, I went from 193 lbs to 165 lbs and was stronger and fitter then I had ever been with just a weight lifting program and the changes I made above. Now after 13 years, 584 weeks and 2048 workouts I am still plugging along. I'm 200 lbs and strong and have some lofty goals still. I started at age 29 and will be coming up to my 43 birthday in a few months; can't see myself stopping. Nothing has changed with perhaps maybe I could eat healthier and why I am here to see how my diet looks to make improvements. Things I could get away with in my 20's and 30's don't fly with me in my 40's. I have to adapt and make the necessary changes to keep up with what I want my goals to be.

Hope you found something useful here. You have to want to do it for yourself. Some people hit the bottom like myself and pick themselves back up. Some people need to see pictures of themselves to want to make the change. Some people need to get a personal trainer to keep them on track. What ever it takes it will have to start with you.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    During dinner prep I make a small bowl of ready to snack fruit. Either 8 small grapes, 4 small strawberries, or some other small amount of sweet crunchy fruit. Then, I eat dinner. Immediately after I eat and clear the dishes I grab a glass of water and leave the kitchen turning off all the lights. Kitchen is closed.

I *try* to go to bed by 9:30 or 10 because I know that when I stay up later I get starved and want to snack. If I get desperate before I sleep (like watching tv and needing to munch) I grab my emergency fruit bowl. It keeps me away from carbs and processed foods, and since it is already prepared in a small amount, I have controlled the maximum calories.

Another trick I use is to keep a strong mint flavored gum. At first sign of food on my mind, I quickly drinAsk 8 oz of water and pop some gum. With something in my mouth, I am less likely to snack. Or, when I don't feel like doing gum, I will brush my teeth and go read a book. Merely getting out of my snacking spot on the couch usually prevents the cave in.

Another trick when I am feeling particularly energetic is to get out and take a short brisk walk. Doing something good for my body makes me less likely to put something bad in.

Nothing to say for the rest. I have my own magic number that I sabotage myself at.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Try reintroducing foods you have been holding back on. Give yourself a little treat everyday for dessert, but tell yourself you can only have it if your really good throughout the day. Then you have a little motivation each day, and you might be able to control the binge because you get to eat the foods you would binge on, but in moderation. That's what I do. I let myself have things I want, within reason. You don't need to eat till your sick to enjoy something you love.