Should different levels of activity selected on set up effec

Options
Hi guys - I had a thought...
MFP asks you, when you set it up, how active you are. Eg desk job, fairly active, very active etc. If you say you are mainly inactive, then I can see when you do exercise you should add them and eat those calories back.

Surely if during set up you say you are fairly / very active mfp will be taking a fair amount of activity into account. If you then add some exercise you did on your day off work for example, you are possibly not doing any more exercise that day than mfp expects, so you either should not record them, or not eat them back.
what do you think?

Replies

• cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    this is a fair comment you are quite right MFP sets your calories according to you activity level and therefore on your day off you should be eating less because you are inactive. I set mine to the lowest despite having quite active job looking after 6 children but I wear a HRM and log my activity according to that. before I had a HRM I set this to sedentary and also to lose 1lb a week and I didn't log any exercise or eat back any cals because I really wanted to lose 2lb a week and tried to earn the extra lb through the exercise I did
  • hatchhome
    hatchhome Posts: 65
    Options
    Duh don't mind me I misunderstood what u asked
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Think it changes the amount of calories you need in one day to maintain your current rate. So if your active then a 200lb person can eat 2000 calories and not gain weight and if they take in 1800 they will lose weight. A less active person burns less calories in a normal day so to Mantain their weight 1800 calories is normal and it would take cutting down to 1600 to lose. Does that help. The only thing it changes is your calorie allotment. ( all figures or just examples)

Hi Hatchome
    What I'm meaning is that if you are normally fairly active at work, MFP as you say takes that into account when calculating your calories. But shouldn't people be careful about what exercise they log on their day off, as it may not be any more than mfp expects.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I also saw a post earlier today where someone talked about studies that showed that if you do proper exercise in a day, you are actually less active for the rest of the day than you would be on a non-exercise day.

Personally, I set mine to sedantary, and I dont log my short walk to and from the bus stop, or to the sandwich shop at lunch time etc, but I do long cardio exercises, or walks of 20 minutes or longer, as well as any vigorous housework (scrubbing windows etc), or any more general housework that lasts more than an hour or so (tidying etc), or maybe half an hour if it's more active, like hovering.

Not sure how I would handle it if my activity level was set to active though, I guess I'd go with that level at a weekend, and log anything above that.
  • sojojoshua
    sojojoshua Posts: 37
    Options
    totally agree... Ive set up sedentary on MFP... so whatever exercise I do, i record and eat back...