I need some suggestions.

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
The month of Ramadan is starting Sept 1. I will be fasting from sun up until sun down every day for a month. There is no way I will be able to workout during my lunch hour like I do now since I won't be able to eat or drink anything at all during the day.

I don't want to stop exercising, but I can't go to the gym after work since I have a 22 month old daughter and I can't go before since we have to start fasting at 5:30am. My only option is to do something at home after dinner. I don't have any type of exercise equipment. I have a DVD player. I really want to get a wii and wii fit, but i'm not sure that is going to be possible.

What do you suggest I do at home so that I can still exercise during this month? I am feeling really bad about not doing my gym routine for a month :sad: :sad: :sad: I'm scared it's going to throw me off track.

Replies

• lina1131
    Options
    The month of Ramadan is starting Sept 1. I will be fasting from sun up until sun down every day for a month. There is no way I will be able to workout during my lunch hour like I do now since I won't be able to eat or drink anything at all during the day.

I don't want to stop exercising, but I can't go to the gym after work since I have a 22 month old daughter and I can't go before since we have to start fasting at 5:30am. My only option is to do something at home after dinner. I don't have any type of exercise equipment. I have a DVD player. I really want to get a wii and wii fit, but i'm not sure that is going to be possible.

What do you suggest I do at home so that I can still exercise during this month? I am feeling really bad about not doing my gym routine for a month :sad: :sad: :sad: I'm scared it's going to throw me off track.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to borrow some workout DVDs from the library, or if you may also be able to find some fitness programs on your TV. We have Comcast here and are able to "on demand" different workouts.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    You can't eat during day time? Or is this a limited eating time? I know I have heard about this, but I'm ignorant. :embarassed:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    You can't eat during day time? Or is this a limited eating time? I know I have heard about this, but I'm ignorant. :embarassed:

I answered my own question...I find it very interesting to learn about different ways!

............................................................................................

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Islam uses a lunar calendar-that is, each month begins with the sighting of the new moon. Because the lunar calendar is about 11 days shorter than the solar calendar used elsewhere, Islamic holidays “move” each year. In 2007 Ramadan begins at sundown on Sept. 12.

For more than a billion Muslims around the world-including some 8 million in North America-Ramadan is a “month of blessing” marked by prayer, fasting, and charity. This year Ramadan precedes Christmas and Hanukkah. But while in many places these holidays have become widely commercialized, Ramadan retains its focus on self-sacrifice and devotion to Allah (God).

Why this Month?
    Muslims believe that during the month of Ramadan, Allah revealed the first verses of the Qur'an, the holy book of Islam. Around 610 A.D., a caravan trader named Muhammad took to wandering the desert near Mecca (in today's Saudi Arabia) while thinking about his faith. One night a voice called to him from the night sky. It was the angel Gabriel, who told Muhammad he had been chosen to receive the word of Allah. In the days that followed, Muhammad found himself speaking the verses that would be transcribed as the Qur'an.

At many mosques during Ramadan, about one thirtieth of the Qur'an is recited each night in prayers known as tarawih. In this way, by the end of the month the complete scripture will have been recited.

Fasting
    Muslims practice sawm, or fasting, for the entire month of Ramadan. This means that they may eat or drink nothing, including water, while the sun shines. Fasting is one of the Five Pillars (duties) of Islam. As with other Islamic duties, all able Muslims take part in sawm from about age twelve.

During Ramadan in the Muslim world, most restaurants are closed during the daylight hours. Families get up early for suhoor, a meal eaten before the sun rises. After the sun sets, the fast is broken with a meal known as iftar. Iftar usually begins with dates and sweet drinks that provide a quick energy boost.

Fasting serves many purposes. While they are hungry and thirsty, Muslims are reminded of the suffering of the poor. Fasting is also an opportunity to practice self-control and to cleanse the body and mind. And in this most sacred month, fasting helps Muslims feel the peace that comes from spiritual devotion as well as kinship with fellow believers.

Eid al-Fitr
    Ramadan ends with the festival of Eid al-Fitr, which in 2007 occurrs on Oct. 13. Literally the “Festival of Breaking the Fast,” Eid al-Fitr is one of the two most important Islamic celebrations (the other occurs after the Hajj, or pilgrimage to Mecca). At Eid al-Fitr people dress in their finest clothes, adorn their homes with lights and decorations, give treats to children, and enjoy visits with friends and family.

A sense of generosity and gratitude colors these festivities. Although charity and good deeds are always important in Islam, they have special significance at the end of Ramadan. As the month draws to a close, Muslims are obligated to share their blessings by feeding the poor and making contributions to mosques.

.......................................................................................
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Wow! Only thing I can think of is to ask Banks. He's the resident expert in nutrition and such! Not being able to eat during the daylight hours is something that would not fit well with a plan of exercise and nutrition, but I totally applaud your devotion! I think the thing that would really get to me is no water, I always have a bottle of Dasani in hand. I think that you simply may have to curtail exercising, and working out for the month to try and stay on track. Although, perhaps a light work out after the dinner meal could help you feel that you are staying fit? Good luck, and blessings in your journey, and please DO let us know how it goes!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks Princess L...I was totally ignorant too. I had heard of Ramadan but didn't know much about it!

As for your question about working out, either rent or buy a few "easy paced" workouts. It sounds like calorie wise you may take a hit (not sure how extravagant the meals are that you do get to eat). Also, with lack of water and food calories during the day you aren't going to feel like ripping out a hard core workout.
    Maybe something like a pilates, yoga, or belly dance (depending on how advanced it is) workout may be a good option for this month.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Just on a practical note, here are my favorite DVDs. . .all have a moderate-high calorie burn.

Biggest Loser "cardio max" and "power sculpt". Crunch "cardio dance party". The "yoga booty ballet" series is also silly, but a lighter workout.

For stretching, Rodney Yee's yoga videos are amazing.

For the scheduling, maybe you could have a small snack after sundown, then workout, then eat your big meal? That's the only idea I have.

:flowerforyou:
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bad idea to engage in heavy exercise without adequate nutrition. Perhaps LISS cardio wouldn't be too harmful. Personally, if I was unable to eat an adequate amount of food I would move as infrequently as possible in an effort to conserve my lean mass :laugh:
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Wow, did I just learn a lot. Thanks PL for enlightening us on the various aspects into the lives of our friends. I have to agree with Jamerz and yell for Banks. I completely understand the concept of fasting and the dedication, but not even being able to keep hydrated sounds a bit scary to me. Good luck Lina and I will keep up with this post to see what the answer is. Take care and many blessings!
  • lina1131
    Options
    I wish I could convince my husband to go for a walk with me the three days of the week he is off. I'm going to ask him if he'll do that. It will be a good time for us to spend together and take our daughter out and get exercise as a family.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Its not impossible to work out while fasting.
    Although this is just hear say, no personal experiences.
    You just should stick to light exercises, nothing serious.
    See how it goes.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Bad idea to engage in heavy exercise without adequate nutrition. Perhaps LISS cardio wouldn't be too harmful. Personally, if I was unable to eat an adequate amount of food I would move as infrequently as possible in an effort to conserve my lean mass :laugh:

Hmmm, a point I hadn't thought about until I read this post,
    but will you be consuming all 1200 calories at dinner?
    Or will you be eating half (or less) of that?

This sounds tricky. You need to be careful to balance your caloric intake with any exercise you do. If you are going low on the calories, maybe you should cut the exercising for the month. I respect that you are daytime fasting, but you have to consider how this will impact your health (i.e. you may have to cut exercise, especially cardio for the month).
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You should check out Intermittent Fasting...just Google it. It's garnered a large following and is similar to the Warrior Diet. I did it for a couple months with great success, but during the school year my schedule doesn't really allow it. It would fit perfectly with your eating schedule, and although I don't condone things like juice or water fasts, this type of fasting I actually support. You still take in all necessary calories and macronutrients, and the hormonal changes of short-term fasting (about 1/2 a day) are actually favorable.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I don't plan on doing a hardcore workout. Just something to keep me motivated on exercise so that when the month is over i'm not off track.

I would love to do yoga or something.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I have a Denise Austin Pilates video.....it works without making me feel like I am gonna die.
    It also does amazing toning....slim'd down my thighs really well too....(I haven't done it in a while..since it's vhs and I only hace a dvd player)