To look at the scale or not.....?

Options
So last Tuesday I decided I needed to start working out again(for real this time! :) )...and I hit the ground running and have been very consistent since. I have worked out everyday since this past Tuesday. The only temptation that I have is the scale. I decided I would give it a full week before getting on the scale again, but find that it is soooo extremely hard to not get on the scale multiple times throughout the week. I wanted to see what other people thought about getting on the scale. Is it better to get on the scale throughout the week and see small progress? Or wait a full week or longer and get a bigger pay off? I don't know why it is so hard not to get on! Does anyone else find the scale tempting? Or am I alone on this one? lol

Replies

• mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not instant. I'd check it once a week to avoid dissappointment on the short term. After all...you may take of fat, but put on muscle...muscle weighs more than fat...so you might actually gain a small bit and think you should quit.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in 1 x week. I think more frequently could set you up for disapointment. I waited 2 weeks once and found a 4 pound weightloss! Muscle mass is heavier than fat ! I don't like watching my weight go up and down daily! I want to see the long term results! I hope this helps!
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I get to the point where I don't believe what the scale says and step on it 3 TIMES IN A ROW and have 3 different weights. I have been tracking my food and exercise for 2 months and have not lost 1 pound. UP and DOWN. DOWN and UP. Right now I am exactly where I started. Ridiculous. I absolutely HATE the scale and am obsessed with it at the same time. It's an addiction and I should have taken the hint when the G'Baby tossed it across the kitchen floor! ;)
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I know some people like the consistency with checking their weight everyday, but for me, I become a bit obsessed. So I just weight myself once a week.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with the scale when I am trying to lose. If I feel that I've really been doing a good job and I hop on and don't see the number I think I should, I get really discouraged. On the other hand the losses you do get to see on the scale are a great motivator. there are too many variables that can effect weight so I try not to do the daily thing.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Oh wow that is exciting! It does help thanks! I just don't want to get on the scale and be more then I was hoping I would be! :/ I guess I will just have to wait until Tuesday to see! :)
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    look if you feel you need to but don't get too disappointed if it isn't moving fast enough for you. everyone looses at a differant pace. just to the best you can to exercise and eat at least the recommended 1200 calories.
  • SarahSmile77
    Options
    I have to weight myself daily because I have a heart condition and need to monitor my "water weight", however I try hard not to keep track of the total until the end of the week. I like to see pounds lost instead of ounces, because it's a bigger motivator for me.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    I know some people like the consistency with checking their weight everyday, but for me, I become a bit obsessed. So I just weight myself once a week.

I know before I started excersing I would get on so many times it was crazy, but I don't know, I feel like I am losing weight but want to actually know. I am just trying to think that it will be better to see 2lbs lost then .5 every few days....but idk! lol I hope that me spreading out the weigh in's decreasesmy need to get on the scale so much!