Strength Training.....not factored in??

Options
So I have started to do all sort of crunches......which are killing me right now (I sneezed and was in pain) and I also have started to lift weights ( nothing major just starting with 2-3lbs). I do strength training after I do my cardio but when I go to log it into the exercise log it doesn't factor in. I understand that you have to increase your heart rate to burn calories but I feel that its kind of a rip off because I am still sweating after doing my crunches and weights. Does anyone else feel like its kind of a rip off? Grrrr

Replies

• bgarley
    bgarley Posts: 1
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing, but sometimes I see that it does include it when you log your day.
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    log crunches under callesthenics
  • Rubino469
    Rubino469 Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I raised the same question. I think it does still burn calories - but arent counted as such on MFP. Someone told me - it can vary so much depending on the effort you put into it - so maybe that is the way MFP doesnt count it.
    Also - you can do a search for strength training in the cardio search
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    Yea, I agree. it is hard to believe doing chin ups after my run is like 0 calories as well. I prefer to think of it is trying to tell me i burn the same amount of calories doing chin ups when i am completely relaxed as when i am warmed up. or conversely, doing anything, even sitting following a cardio work out is going to burn more calories because everything is in that hightented state.

I guess it makes sense, because working only one or a few muscles from target weight lifting only works those small muscles. It seems to hurt more by comparison and is harder to do for longer time. (apparently doing push ups for a minute for me burns like 10 whole calories. woo, but I have yet to even come close to making it one minute).

I don't dwell on it, and jut ignore, or not count strength training for calories because it does build muscle over time, which works to improve the base metabolic rate - I look forward to burning 8 more calories in a day just from the arm movements of drinking a cup of coffee all day :P.
  • Avonleagirl
    Avonleagirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, it has felt like a "rip off" when I am looking to burn more calories, but despite what the program shows, doing weights is going to benefit us in the long term as our metabolism will speed up. I have tried to remember this as a way of encouraging me, and it sure has helped on those days when I couldn't go to the gym. I like to think of weight training as the gift that keeps on giving because is doesn't just help you for that one day. Hope this helps you to feel encouraged with the work you are doing.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Enter strength training under cardio, tell it how long you worked out, and it will give you a number based upon how much it guesses you burned. There are a lot of things to factor into your workouts though, like how long you rest between sets, which muscle groups you work, and how much you really exert yourself in your workout, that can throw the numbers off. It is a start though.
  • wldlndfirefghtr
    wldlndfirefghtr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Log strength training in the cardio section of mfp. I wear a HRM during my strength training, way more accurate. You'd be surprised how many calories you can burn by lifting if you keep your heart rate elevated (shorter rest between sets).

My 2 cents.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that the "strength" section was just to record weights and reps etc. You would still have to record the "time" and calorie burn under cardiovascular.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Yes, it has felt like a "rip off" when I am looking to burn more calories, but despite what the program shows, doing weights is going to benefit us in the long term as our metabolism will speed up. I have tried to remember this as a way of encouraging me, and it sure has helped on those days when I couldn't go to the gym. I like to think of weight training as the gift that keeps on giving because is doesn't just help you for that one day. Hope this helps you to feel encouraged with the work you are doing.

Thanks it does help! I never really cared much for doing crunches and lifting weights, but now, I want to get toned and I also started to do strength training because it offers more benefits then a toned tummy and arms ;)
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Thanks I will have to try that tomorrow when I do my all of my strength training again!
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    This question is in the FAQ section of the website. I felt the same way about it. Although, there are a LOT of factors that go into how many calories you burn when doing strength training. The only way you can truely tell is if you buy a good heart rate monitor.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    This question is in the FAQ section of the website. I felt the same way about it. Although, there are a LOT of factors that go into how many calories you burn when doing strength training. The only way you can truely tell is if you buy a good heart rate monitor.

Where can you buy them?? Like ****s or some other sporting goods store?
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but you may want to switch around the order of your workout. Doing strength training before cardio helps to burn more calories. There are a few threads posted about it if you search.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during weight training and yes, you do burn calories, it just depends on how much of an effort you out in and how many pounds you use
  • theresaaugello
    Options

I believe you can buy them from any sporting goods store. You should also check out amazon. they usually have awesome deals on everything!

I personally assume that I burned about 150 calories doing strength training. I lift extremely heavy (High Intensity Training) for about 45 minutes, 2 times a week. I low ball it for the mere fact that if I burned more, then I've created a larger calorie deficit and also just in case I wasn't up to par on all of my sets. (It's my own mind game with myself to push me harder.)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Yeah, any sporting store should have them, i got mine at academysports
  • LaurenJn83
    LaurenJn83 Posts: 46
    Options
    If you log strength training under the cardio section it will factor it in. That's what I do.
  • LaurenJn83
    LaurenJn83 Posts: 46
    Options
    A little off topic, but you may want to switch around the order of your workout. Doing strength training before cardio helps to burn more calories. There are a few threads posted about it if you search.

Thanks for the tip even though it wasn't directed at me. I've been working out the other way around!