Does age have anything to do with calories?

nicole751
nicole751 Posts: 26
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm currently 16 years old. Since i'm younger than most people on MFP, should I be eating more or less calories? Or should I just be eating what the site tells me to?

I'm currently eating 1200-1400 calories a day, and that's at a 1 lb weight loss per week. I'm just wondering if my age has anything to do with how many calories I should be eating. Any suggestions are welcome :) thank you!

Replies

• biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    I'm not sure about that directly. But my advise...don't wait till you're my age (41) to loose weight. It's harder, takes longer and is a complete nightmare to keep it off since menopause is right around the corner and all the hormones are going nuts. Did I mention that the metabolism comes to an abrupt stop at 30? :) do it now and a ripe young age of 16 and keep up with all these great new habits your making and stay that way. I look back over the last 10 years or so and could kick myself for waiting so long to do this in a healthy way.
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    I'm not sure about that directly. But my advise...don't wait till you're my age (41) to loose weight. It's harder, takes longer and is a complete nightmare to keep it off since menopause is right around the corner and all the hormones are going nuts. Did I mention that the metabolism comes to an abrupt stop at 30? :) do it now and a ripe young age of 16 and keep up with all these great new habits your making and stay that way. I look back over the last 10 years or so and could kick myself for waiting so long to do this in a healthy way.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I think this would be a question for an actual doctor.

I would think thats a low amount for a body and brain that are stilll growing. The younger you are the more calories you need.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I did do a quick Google search on this. I saw a minimum of 1800, up to 2400 calories per day is recomended.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Yes, age does - and you should be eating much more when you are younger - and actually you should not be on here at all until you are 18 - please do not restrict your eating at all without talking to your parents and / or doctor first - it can be really a bad idea.
    Take care!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    I agree with TripleJ73, since you're still so young and growing a doctors visit might me a lot more helpful than searching online. If you don't ind my asking, how much do you weigh and how much do you want to loose?. Your current weight will be a factor in determining how much you should be eating.
  • nicole751
    nicole751 Posts: 26
    Right now i weigh 116 and i'm only trying to lose 8 pounds. however, since i only have 8 lbs to lose, i'm in no rush at all. i'm mainly on this site just to eat healthier foods and maintain a healthy lifestyle (:
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    I still say you should go to the doctor. You wouldn't want to damage your body as it's finishing growing. It could be potentially damaging as an adult, when you're ready to have children, and when you're old.

You're young and don't weight that much to begin with. It's good that you realize it will take time to reach your goal. You might try focusing on strength training. You'd put on a weight but it would be muscle and would look better than a scrawny 108 lbs.

Be careful and good luck!
  • bike4now
    bike4now Posts: 52
    You'll burn less per day as you age.
  • Yes, it does. The younger you are, the more calories you need. Restricting your caloric intake now could seriously mess up your body when you're older. And, trying to get to the borderline unhealthy/healthy BMI is not good. I can only assume that's what you're doing since you're already very slim. My advice, stop worrying about weight now. Worry when you get to uni and you gain the freshman fifteen.
  • I'm glad you asked this because my mum seems to think that because I'm younger than her, I need more calories. (I'm nearly 20, shes in her 50's and we are the same height) It'd be great to see if this is myth or fact.
This discussion has been closed.