Replies

• lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    by the way that was the unsweet Almond milk
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use it in my cereal and in recipes because it has a creamer texture than skim milk. I like the little sweetness in the unsweetened vanilla. Having said that, I can't drink it straight. If I want a glass of milk, then I stick to 2%. That is rare, but sometimes it is just want I want. I have always been a big milk drinker, so I figure if I can cut all that fat and calories in my cereal then I can splurge on a cold glass sometimes.
  • kristygay
    kristygay Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started using Almond Milk, like two weeks ago! I love it for cooking! It cuts the calories from using skim milk by more than half (I use Almond Breeze unsweetend vanilla) I haven't just poured a glass and drank it though! But I didn't do that very often with skim milk either!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Is it any good in coffee?
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I bought it for my coffee because it was recommended on here. I use the unsweetened vanilla in my coffee with a little sweet n low. I love it! Not quite as good as my coffeemate vanilla creamer, but a very close 2nd for hardly any calories!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I bought it for my coffee because it was recommended on here. I use the unsweetened vanilla in my coffee with a little sweet n low. I love it! Not quite as good as my coffeemate vanilla creamer, but a very close 2nd for hardly any calories!

I think I will give it a try then :D hopefully I like it enough never to use creamer again lol
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I really like skim milk to drink, but I use almond milk in smoothies purely because it's tasty and lower in cals. Almond Breeze unsweetened is 40 cals a cup and Silk Almond unsweetened (which I think tastes better) is only 35 cals a cup.
  • daniellescsu
    daniellescsu Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I dont want all the hormones and steroids, etc that are in cows milk.
  • kbrockwalder
    Options
    I'm not positive about the difference in health factors between almond milk & cow's milk but i do know that .. almond milk is GREAT in oatmeal. It makes the oatmeal expand into a more filling meal, without the excess calories. I was hesitant at first but now I love it!

Here's a recipe I use, if interested:

1/2 cup Old Fashion Oats
    1 Cup water
    1 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    Dash of salt
    Dash of Cinnamon
    1 packet of zero-cal splenda
    (add in last minute of cooking) 1/3 cup of fiber one cereal
    -- Bring oats, water & milk to boil for 10 minutes, add salt, cinnamon & sugar. In last 1-2 mins add fiber one cereal.

Enjoy!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I don't care for regular milk...only use it in cereal and for protein shakes...and I get the vanilla unsweetened almond milk and LOVE IT.. I just don't like milk. :)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I switched one day after I noticed that I was feeling ill after every time I drank my skim milk. I use Silk Original Almond Milk in everything from cereal to Mac N' Cheese. Yum!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't believe we should drink milk on a regular basis as humans, but growing up with it, it's a hard habit to break, almond milk is a great alternative.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I tried the unsweetened kind & didn't really like it. I researched it & didn't like all of the chemicals & such. I've switched to fat free organic milk instead.

I wanted to drink the unsweetened almond milk due to the lower carbs, but I just couldn't do it based on the taste & my research. I understand that it's a matter of personal preference too though....
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have never been abl to drink milk except when in cereal so I thought I would try the Almond Milk. So I tried the
    Almond milk with my cereal this am and it is way to thick for cereal in my opinion. :( I guess I can use it in my
    smoothies and as a creamer instead and it lasts longer then milk.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have never been abl to drink milk except when in cereal so I thought I would try the Almond Milk. So I tried the
    Almond milk with my cereal this am and it is way to thick for cereal in my opinion. :( I guess I can use it in my
    smoothies and as a creamer instead and it lasts longer then milk.

Some brands are better than others. I tried Silk and nearly gagged. You can also make your own very easily with just water and almonds.