2 workouts 1 day

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
Any advice for working out twice a day? I am thinking about running in the morning (no more than 2-3 miles prolly - just 25-30 mins depending on how early I get up) and either getting in another (longer) run or p90x in the evening. I am really bad at eating under my calories/the right calories, and also I want to be as fit as I was last summer when I kicked @$$ at zumba and stuff. Depending on the day, I am between 7-10 lbs over my goal weight, PLUS I really want to run a half marathon this year. I'm really busy with work and school but this is something that's really important to me...so...any ideas on how to make myself get up pre-5 am? Or how to keep my energy up throughout the day? Or in general ways to stay motivated throughout the summer?

Thanks - this is a great community and I love everyone here! :)

Replies

• KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    Whenever I want to fit in two workouts in a day, typically I make one of those activities biking -- I find that it's a great calorie burner that energizes me and allows me to give a second workout my all =)

With you being in school, maybe biking to your classes would be an easy way to fit in an extra workout with your busy schedule?

Good luck!
  • graymojo
    graymojo Posts: 8
    Options
    On the days that I work I have to do two 20 min workouts in one day rather than one workout. I work 12 hour shifts. I like to switch it up. I'll run up and down steps at lunchtime and then do a treadmill workout with weights at night. I also suggest finding a plan specific to your half marathon goals. Runner world's website has a plan that includes interval training some days and distance running some days. You can adjust this by splitting up your runs into two workouts. Mostly, just mix it up to keep from getting bored. If you don't feel like working out, tell yourself that you will just walk for X minutes. I find that when I do this and get started I always find the energy to go further and faster than just a walk.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions :)

i wish i could bike to classes...unfortunately campus is about 80 miles from my work...so i have to fit in workouts early in the morning or at night.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that it can be quite helpful for performance gains to workout twice a day (especially with a nap at some point). I think that was from the Triathletes Training Bible....Actually I'm pretty sure about that.