What Is XL?

Options
I'm trying to have a visual picture in my mind of my goal size. I've been "plus size" since 12 years old (I'm currently 284). My goal is to fit into normal sizes and I'm wondering about what weight I need to be to do so.

I'm 5'6 with a well proportioned build. Do you know what weight I might need to be to fit into an XL in regular sizes?

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Varies on height, body shape and what store/brand you are buying
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options
    Sizes are really dependent on the particular brand, but I'd say to be an average "XL" you'd probably have a BMI of over 25, which would still be considered overweight. So that's around 160-180 for a person who is 5'6"
  • manny_bee
    manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    im 5'4" and weight about 198 and wear between an xl and an xxl. it depends on brand and what article of clothing.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I currently weigh 160 and where anywhere from a medium to an extra large depending on where I shop. I usually end up in the mediums when I shop in the women's section and extra larges in the juniors. When I was 190, I only shopped in the women's and bought XL.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    My suggestion is that you not focus on sizes of clothes because they change to much! Just wear what feels comfortable!!
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    It really varies from person to person depending on build, where the clothes come from, and how you like them to fit but hopefully you get enough responses to figure out an average. :)

I'm 5' 7 and I believe XL for me was around 160-170 pounds, but I didn't wear anything tight.
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sizes are really dependent on the particular brand, but I'd say to be an average "XL" you'd probably have a BMI of over 25, which would still be considered overweight. So that's around 160-180 for a person who is 5'6"

I'm slightly taller than the OP and I'm at 165 right now. I've always worn medium or large, sometimes even small if the cut is generous. Of course it really depends on frame size, etc, but my guess is that 180-200 would be an XL.
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    i'm 5'3 & i'm 199. I wear an xl in some brands, and larges in another.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person depending on build, where the clothes come from, and how you like them to fit but hopefully you get enough responses to figure out an average. :)

I'm 5' 7 and I believe XL for me was around 160-170 pounds, but I didn't wear anything tight.

Wow, there really is such a difference in body composition! I'm 5' 7" and XL is around 220 for me. But last time I was a size 10 I weighed something like 180...maybe I am really muscle-y??
  • milanks
    Options
    I was never comfortable wearing anything that fit tightly, so had I been more comfortable with my body at that weight I probably would have worn a Large. I was always putting on "normal fitting" clothes and then saying, "Oh my god, you can see my belly. I can't wear this." My boyfriend reassured me that people of my size wore those kinds of clothes all the time, but I just wasn't comfortable with it so I stuck with XL, things that flowed away from my middle. That's why I mentioned that it depends on how a person likes their clothes to fit. :)

So, I was technically wearing XL around 160-170 pounds but I don't know whether it was really my actual size. I still have that issue...when shopping, I always try on something two sizes too big for me first and then work my way down to something that actually fits.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to have a visual picture in my mind of my goal size. I've been "plus size" since 12 years old (I'm currently 284). My goal is to fit into normal sizes and I'm wondering about what weight I need to be to do so.

I'm 5'6 with a well proportioned build. Do you know what weight I might need to be to fit into an XL in regular sizes?

A women's XL is generally a 16-18. So at 5'6", you could probably be into an XL in the 180's or 190s, possibly at 200 depending on brand and how close-fitting the garment.
  • texastae1010
    texastae1010 Posts: 165
    Options
    If we are talking tops that can be hard to say because that depends on your girls and how tight you like your clothing even when I used to weigh 130ish I would wear large and xl tops because of the fit on the ladies and I hate hate when that button pulls and you can see your bra etc and I am really broad in the shoulders so I don't think there is a magic weight...I am 5'5 also depends on what type of tops you are talking about lol
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Even at my lowest weight I still fit into larges and that was like 113? It really just depends (like a lot of other people said). Its hard not to focus on the sizes, but now I realize you should wear what makes you feel good. As you lose your size will change and you will find out that your fitting into stuff you never thought you could/would again! :) Just don't worry about the size, just wear what you are comfortable in and what looks good. Sizes are very decieving!
  • milanks
    Options
    It's true, sizes are just so wacky and all over the place. I do understand OP's interest in knowing when she might be out of the plus sizes though. Moving out of that section and shopping exclusively in "regular sizes" was a big milestone for me, having gone from size 18 to 8. Based on posts here, I'd say you can certainly expect to fit XL when you reach 200 pounds or less and possibly even before that, depending on where you shop-style of clothes-how you like them to fit-etc. :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Wow, there really is such a difference in body composition! I'm 5' 7" and XL is around 220 for me. But last time I was a size 10 I weighed something like 180...maybe I am really muscle-y??

Wow, really? I guess it really does vary - I am 5'7" and currently 216. My weight has typically varied between 160 and 180, and I always wore a size 10-14 or a M-XL, depending on the brand, cut, piece of clothing, etc. I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancy (I have a 3-month-old), so being not only over 200 but well over 200 is new territory for me, and none of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit :( I tried on a pair of XL pajama pants the other day, and they didn't fit (they were rather tight in the thighs). They were Land's End, too, which I consider a slightly generous brand (as opposed to, say, Express). So it's surprising to me that you would wear an XL at 220. (I'm not doubting you, just very surprised!)

My guess is that your body composition is different from mine. I tend to be smaller on top (well, I'm somewhat chesty, but I tend to have a small waist and smallish arms), rather hippy, and unfortunately I do not have nice legs. (I'm very much an hourglass, to put it nicely, which I really love when my overall weight is down - curves are great!) So while I might wear a M in tops when I weigh, say, 170, I probably wouldn't get into a M in pants until I hit 155 or so. Finding a structured dress to fit me is quite difficult!

To answer the OP's question, since you are an inch shorter than I am, I would guess that you'd have to be about 170 to fit into an XL, again, depending on your build and on the piece of clothing, brand, cut, etc. I know everyone's telling you to focus on other things, but I understand how important that move is from the plus-size (or women's) section to the regular-size (or misses') section. I can't wait to be back there myself so I can "shop" in my own closet again!!! Just stay away from juniors. Even when I weighed 150 a few years ago, I couldn't shop in the juniors section. It's hard to shop there if you have hips and/or boobs, and so even if you'd otherwise fit into whatever size, it's depressing to not fit into that size in the juniors section. I'm too old for that now anyway, since I turn 31 tomorrow :p

Best wishes to everyone!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I was never comfortable wearing anything that fit tightly, so had I been more comfortable with my body at that weight I probably would have worn a Large. I was always putting on "normal fitting" clothes and then saying, "Oh my god, you can see my belly. I can't wear this." My boyfriend reassured me that people of my size wore those kinds of clothes all the time, but I just wasn't comfortable with it so I stuck with XL, things that flowed away from my middle. That's why I mentioned that it depends on how a person likes their clothes to fit. :)

So, I was technically wearing XL around 160-170 pounds but I don't know whether it was really my actual size. I still have that issue...when shopping, I always try on something two sizes too big for me first and then work my way down to something that actually fits.

Hehe, I think that's the best way to shop, start high up and work your way down :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    If we are talking tops that can be hard to say because that depends on your girls and how tight you like your clothing even when I used to weigh 130ish I would wear large and xl tops because of the fit on the ladies and I hate hate when that button pulls and you can see your bra etc and I am really broad in the shoulders so I don't think there is a magic weight...I am 5'5 also depends on what type of tops you are talking about lol

LOL... this is funny but true!!! Also, shoulder broadness does have to be taken into account. Although I usually have a small waist and smallish arms (and biggish boobs), I have been told I have "swimmer's shoulders." I take it as a compliment, since I do like my neck/shoulder area, but I could never wear shirts that were that small, even when I was only 150 or so. Plus I don't want to risk a boob popping out or anything!
  • jessicaj_824
    jessicaj_824 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you worry about sizes you'll make yourself crazy. Sizes are so different in every store/brand and there is NO consistency. If you really want to use a size to gauge though you could go get a "goal outfit" in size XL and use that as motivation. Just keep in mind that once you fit into it other stores XL will be either too small or too big and you cannot make yourself crazy if another XL is too small. I just don't want you to set yourself up for disappointment and that is what the fashion industry does to us with this size thing!

Be healthy and good luck on your journey!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm on the mailing list for a catalog clothing company whose stuff I like and occasionally order. Since I like their stuff and do occasionally order from them, I go by the sizes they have listed in their catalog. They have a chart that has the bust, waist, hip and inseam in inches with the correlating size. It will of course vary from company to company but it gives me a general idea of what size I am. I'm sure they have the charts online too so if you chose to gauge it that way you could look at the website for a catalog clothing company. General department stores don't typically have them since they have a variety of manufacturers on there. The one I use is Chadwicks but there are many others.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that it varies by body composition, how you like to wear your clothes and the brand. In my profile, there's a pic of me in a Hunger Games tshirt from Hot Topic. It's an XXL. There's also a pic of me in workout clothes from Target. The top is XL and the bottoms are L. I'm 5'6" and those pics were taken between 220 and 216 lbs.