Anyone diabetic?

Options
Fairly new to this program...I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and man it's making it so much harder. Is there anyone else out there with medical problems that make using this awesome app a little harder? Same with healthy to go snacks and exercise. It seems like my snacks are all healthy, but i'm not covering all the food groups, so I don't throw off my sugars. Would love to meet someone that is going through this too.

Replies

• achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed a month ago with type 2 diabetes....i have already lost 16 lbs. since the beginning of april....i try to make sure that i stay away from white anything (potatoes, bread, rice) and eat whole grain or wheat....i keep lots of fruits and veggies for snack....also, almonds and nuts are healthy and can be taken with you anywhere....i often buy trail mix and get rid of the chocolate pieces b/c trail mix has cashews, peanuts and raisins in it....good snacking....you should see a difference shortly in your weight if you make the proper changes in your diet...this site keeps me accountable to myself and helps me encourage others....hope this helps...add me as a friend if youd like
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not by my brother, father, aunts a few uncles and grandmother are. I have learned how to eat like a diabetic, that's for sure.

My brother always carries fruit with him and a handful of walnuts. That ususally helps.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I am technically an asymptomatic type 2 diabetic. I'm not sure if you've attended any diabetic classes provided by your health care provider, but the basic rule of thumb is that it's not sugar, specifically, that you should be tracking. It's carbs. Carbs convert to sugar in the form of glucose, which will raise your blood sugar levels if you have too much at once. If you're going to use the site to help you, you have the great benefit of knowing that you can choose which nutrients you want to track. Carbs, fat, protein, and fiber should be the main ones to track.

Fiber helps with the benefit of stabilizing your levels by slowing the rate at which carbs become converted into glucose. Going by grams of carb intake, you want to optimally have about 45g of carbs for the 3 largest meals in your day, usually breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also, you're going to have mid-meal snacks with about 15g, but no more than 30g, of carbs to keep your levels stable throughout the day. Refined starches such as white bread, white rice, pasta, pastry, etc. all may have the same amount of carb grams, but the way they process in your body is different. Because they're refined, your body metabolizes them into glucose much faster than whole wheat and whole grain foods, usually due to the lack of fiber content. Plus, the better nutrients are all found in whole wheats and grains.

Read the labels on all packages. You may be surprised to know that many food items contain carbs that don't seem like they should.

Should you feel the need to see if it's possibly successful to reverse the symptoms of diabetes, you can read my blog. It's not meant to be inspirational, but apparently it is, so you're welcome to it. It's going to take some time, but the motivation behind a better lifestyle should outweigh any doubts of not being able to do it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/anubis609/view/my-1-year-renewed-lease-on-life-93745
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic when I was 18... went through all sorts of tests and medications until I gave up and didn't care anymore because nothing was working. I asked my doctor for insulin and he said no. By 21, I ended up in the hospital for a week where someone finally listened to me and put me on insulin injections. At 24, my health care team and I come to the realization that I'm a type 1 diabetic... and now I'm on an insulin pump. (And, I LOVE it!)

So... Yes, diabetes complicates everything. Everything. BUT... it's all in how you manage it. Don't let it manage you! A previous post by "anubis609" has a LOT of good advice. You will just need to tweak it a little bit to suit your needs. Normal meals for me range from 40g to 75g of carbs, depending on what I'm having. I can go upwards of 100g of carbs and still not reach my maximum insulin allowance per meal. (I thankfully can't eat that much anymore!)

The diabetes management comes with time... and a lot of trial and error. There will be ups and downs, good days and bad, but overall it can be conquered and managed with ease. Feel free to add me as a friend if you ever need any more help or advice!