Don't like my ticker :(

Options
I originally set a goal to loose 28 pounds,

just checked that bmi thing and i have to loose 41 to not be classified as overweight!!

I know i personally will be happy once i lose 28 pounds so i guess thats what counts,

How did you all work out your goal weight loss? Is it based on yourself or bmi?

Many Thanks

Replies

• emzi1981
    emzi1981 Posts: 20
    Options
    i always base my weight loss goals on what I want to achieve rather than BMI, or fat etc. I do find that if you split your goals up they seem more effective coz it doesnt take so long to get there which in turn boosts your ego (lol) giving you more incentive to keep it up.
    Try losing the 28lb first then when you get there, if you want to lose more and lower your BMI, set yourself another goal. You may actually suprise yourself! x all the best x
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of SMART goal setting? Its simple, each goal should be:

Specific - "I want to lose 28 pounds", not "I want to lose weight"
    Measurable - Weight is easy in this respect, if you can measure your weight, you can meet this requirement
    Attainable - Is 28 pounds more attainable for you than 41? If so, 28 is fine. Maybe, when you have lost 28, you will feel you can go on.
    Relevant - Are you willing to work towards this goal? If not, no point trying - give up now.
    Time-bound - When do you want to achieve this goal by? Don't say sometime in the future, set a deadline.

What I am really trying to say is that if 28 pounds is a goal which meets the above, then set 28 as your goal. Perhaps when you have done that, you may decide that the other 13 also meet the above so this could become a new goal. On the other hand, 41 now may feel like it is not attainable and if it doesn't meet the above requirements, you are less likely to meet it.

I have a lot of weight to lose, but I can't think in terms of the total amount or I feel like I will never make it. I prefer to set small goals, meet those, then set a new goal. I use Wii Fit at home and this is great for that, it allows me to set a goal of say 7 pounds by a certain date and then shows me each day how well I am doing against that goal. When I have met it (or missed it) I am prompted to set a new goal.

Finally, remember that the BMI is an average for most people. When you get near to your healthy BMI range, there are perhaps other better metrics to look at. Body composition becomes more important - what is your body fat percentage vs. lean muscle mass etc. Get somewhere close to where you want to be and then decide whether you want to go on and what your goal should be.

Hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss.

Fredd500
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Mine is based on what I did previously - and where I felt comfortable in my own skin - I will definitely still be "overweight".... but you know what once I get there we will see if that is where I stop - or if I need to reset my goal.....
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I weighed 140lbs 5 years ago and was happy there but wouldn't have minded losing a little more so I set my goat for 130lbs. I think at 140lbs I'll still be classed as overweight but I was happy at that weight so if I don't make it to 130 then so be it.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys

Ok Im going to set it back to 35 pound loss as thats the lightest i have ever been and that felt good, although I only stayed at that weight for a week!

If then i want to /feel i can loose more i will!

Thanks guys!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My 'Goal' is set via my BMI; 85kg will put me in just inside the 'Normal' range...

I don't know whether I will reach it or not, but it would be nice to be in the normal category and not Obese or Overweight...

That being said, I used to fight at 85 kilos when I was boxing at the age of 17, so whether it is achieveable or not, guess we'll see? It won't hurt to try!

The biggest target for me it to get the weight off and keep it off!!!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    can someone help me please! I have changed my goal weight in my settings but my ticker still says 41 pounds!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Tools -> Tickers -> Update your weight data -> Change the number you want to change :happy: