Plateau help...

Ashleypeterson37
Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
This is the very first time I have tried to lose weight WITHOUT the assistance of an eating disorder (haven't relapsed in 3 years!!) and after 14 pounds I have finally hit a plateau. The 30 day shred is on its way and should arrive either today or tomorrow and I'm thinking that adding that to my work out routine will kick start the weight loss again. My question is, if I plateau after the 30 day shred, would returning to my old routine (I do the same work out every single day, hence the plateau!) would I continue to lose weight or would I have to severely up the intensity?

Replies

• nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    What is your workout right now that you're doing every day. I would say you should not be doing just "one" type of exercise because it probably will not have optimal results for your body. Moreover, aren't you just bored??? I know I get that way if I just do the treadmill or elliptical. You really need to switch it up and use an HRM to track your calories burned and heart rate. I am slightly obsessed now i think haha but it really help to see when your heart rate is high/low and then bring it up/ down b/c that's what gets you your biggest burn.

Also, remember CLEAN EATING. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise!!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Without being able to see your food diary, it's difficult to pinpoint the cause of your plateau. In addition to changing your workout, you may need to increase your calories to give your metabolism a little boost.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Make sure you're eating enough throughout the day. If you don't have much more to lose (less than 20 pounds), you should NOT be limiting yourself to 1200. Eat at least 1400, and eat your exercise calories back.

You might look into zigzagging calories and adding HIIT to your workout regimen.
  • oddyogi
    Make sure you're eating enough throughout the day. If you don't have much more to lose (less than 20 pounds), you should NOT be limiting yourself to 1200. Eat at least 1400, and eat your exercise calories back.

You might look into zigzagging calories and adding HIIT to your workout regimen.

I just realized your sig has your goal weights. Well, even so, I think 1200 is too few. :)
  • Ashleypeterson37
    I do the treadmill for 45 mins usually and then I do weight lifting for 30 mins. Last week I added a pilates dvd and I'm waiting on the 30 day shred to arrive. I'm clueless on what else I could do at the gym....
  • Ashleypeterson37

I just realized your sig has your goal weights. Well, even so, I think 1200 is too few. :)

MFP has me eating 1210....I go to bed starving with tummy growling every night! Will try zig zagging to see is that helps. How do you calculate it?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    What helped me over my plateau (6 weeks no loss) was to start running. Now I haven't run in 30 years, and I have arthritis in all my joints, and I smoked for more than 30 years....but a very good pair of running shoes and determination is helping me do it anyway. I go as far as I can and then power walk until I catch my breath, then run some more, etc. et al. Sometimes, I sprint then jog, then sprint, then jog. My shin splints are negligible now and I can run further without stopping. I used Mapmyrun to block out exact 1 mile and 1.5 mile routes from my house and I get out there and do it....every other day. Period. And, suddenly the weight started dropping again. Also, the inches. Yesterday I fit into a couple of skirts I haven't had on since before my daughter was born 6 years ago.

So try something new and challenging, physically. It does help.

Also, I started eating smaller dinners and allowing a few calories for a late snack before bed. It keeps me from getting so hungry late at night.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    I do the treadmill for 45 mins usually and then I do weight lifting for 30 mins. Last week I added a pilates dvd and I'm waiting on the 30 day shred to arrive. I'm clueless on what else I could do at the gym....

If you're on the treadmill, make sure you work in "Interval Training" and that you're not just running at 5.0 for 45 minutes...that really doesn't do that much for you except builds some endurance.

I usually do one song (~4 minutes) at 6.5; then walk 3.3 on incline 15; run an interval again

For the last half of the workout - I just do intervals at 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5 and 9 (depends on how high energy i'm feeling). These can be 1 minute or less (depends on you) and you can alternate with walking at 3.3

There are plenty of other things you can do:
    - Stairmaster (do intervals as well)
    - Spinning (if you're new to this, consider taking a spinning class)
    - Elliptical

these are all fairly simple to use
  • oddyogi

MFP has me eating 1210....I go to bed starving with tummy growling every night! Will try zig zagging to see is that helps. How do you calculate it?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I used this calculator to help me. I changed around the days so I can eat the most on Saturday and eat more on days I strength train. :) Hope this helps!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 948 Member
    If you work out every day. Change it up by eating more, exercise less. It sounds wrong. But it works.!!
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Is 1210 your net calories or is that what you actually eat? If it's your net calories, it doesn't sound too low but it's close to too low. I used a calorie calculator and put in what I know about you and it gives an estimated BMR of 1746. If you add in 500 calories per day of exercise and 500 for normal daily living, you should eat about 2750 calories per day to maintain your weight. If you drop that by 500 calories you are at 2250 per day to lose a pound per week. If you are only eating 1210, your body might be slowing your metabolism down because it thinks you are starving.

I suggest you do some research on the subject and increase your calories if you think that's what is right for you.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Is 1210 your net calories or is that what you actually eat? If it's your net calories, it doesn't sound too low but it's close to too low. I used a calorie calculator and put in what I know about you and it gives an estimated BMR of 1746. If you add in 500 calories per day of exercise and 500 for normal daily living, you should eat about 2750 calories per day to maintain your weight. If you drop that by 500 calories you are at 2250 per day to lose a pound per week. If you are only eating 1210, your body might be slowing your metabolism down because it thinks you are starving.

I suggest you do some research on the subject and increase your calories if you think that's what is right for you.

This is exactly what I was thinking based on the information I was getting online. I will try upping the calories to see if this makes a difference. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.