Some advice please

Options
stellcorb
stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
So, I'm in maintence mode in my weight loss and I'm really looking to ramp up my work-outs. I'm in a bit of a rut w/ only running and eliptical because my gym offers no cardio classes during the times I'm available. I got the Insanity DVD's from a co-worker and just started yesterday and boy am I sore which is a good thing BUT.... if I fully commit myself to this program, I won't be able to run anymore and I have 2 fears from that: 1. I don't get my mind clearing run time where can listen to my music and run check out mother nature in all her glory and 2. That I'll have to build up my running again after not doing it for 60 days.

What does everyone think? Should I try to sneak in a run on my recovery day? Just commit myself to the program and hope that it will not negatively affect my running ability? Or just do the Insanity piece 3 or 4 days a week and keep up my running? Oh yeah, and I want to do a half marathon this fall for a PR time (wanted to do a full, but just don't have the time)

Replies

• cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I had the same worry with starting P90X - I didn't want my running and other cardio to suffer. So what I did was to extend the programme's schedule and keep with my other exercises too.

ie: P90X is supposed to be 6 workouts a week for approx 14 weeks. I'm doing 4 or 5 P90X workouts a week and still running/swimming in between. So in total it will take me longer to complete the programme but I'll still do all the workouts, as well as some extras.

Hope that makes sense!
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Only you know what your body will tolerate. If running is what you enjoy then do the running. Its great for the ME time, when you can think all those things out!

Do the DVD too if you wish but remember to keep up the calorie intake.

Hope this helps
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You can't do the same thing all of the time, or else you will injure yourself eventually. On an off-day use a workout DVD. I would suggest power yoga. This is something you can do at some and it's a full body work out and good burn. I suggest the Jillian Michaels Power yoga one for only $8 at Target.
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    I agree. even if it takes longer to do the program...like use it every other day instead of every day. changing up the exercise will keep you losing the weight and in better shape. If your body gets used to one type of exercise you gain "muscle memory" where you can nearly do it on autopilot. this is ok, but you don't get the same benefit as throwing different things at your muscles. they work harder if they have to adjust to change. that's why interval trainging is so goo. If you enjoy the run and have a goal of a marathon...definately don't give up the run for that long a time. good luck
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your imput! I think stretching the program out to 3 or 4 days a week and keeping the running up a couple days a week.