Is it safe to work out more than 5 days a week?

Options
I have been successfully been working out 5 days a week and I am just wondering? I know that your body does need rest days, but I am not quite clear as to why. I feel like I am supposed to keep going but I am not looking to hurt myself or slow my progress at all. What's really the deal with rest days?

Replies

• talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well.. those people who do the 30day shred seem to be doing it every day, that's the idea after all. I think it's most important to listen to your body, if you feel fine, you can workout another day. If you feel your muscles being tired, EXTREMELY sore (not just the general soreness after a workout) take a day off. Me, i work out 6 days a week and take a day off on sundays.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. Never hurt me even when I was working out 2 to 3 times a day 7 days a week. To each their own. Your body will let you know.
  • Kevalyn34
    Kevalyn34 Posts: 40
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week and I'm ok. Of course, if you are doing any strength or weight training, you want to have a day in between to allow your muscles time to repair. Always listen to your body, it'll let you know if you are over-training.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week on Insanity....Sunday is an off day....but I had off days when I wasn't doing Insanity though....too....
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. Never hurt me even when I was working out 2 to 3 times a day 7 days a week. To each their own. Your body will let you know.

Yes your body will let you know...try an :active" rest day if you want a workout to keep motivated....something light like yoga, stretching or walking
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The more of the week you work out the more you might want to switch up your workouts or maybe be more specific with your focus for each workout.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Also, when you first start out it is not uncommon to initially feel tired as your metabolism adjusts. I always encourage at least a day of rest in a given week, and others have said, you need ot give your muscles a day of rest between strength training sessions.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing myself. I aksed my Doctor. He said listen to your body, if you are not hurting yourself, then go for it. I work out everyday, if I don't, I feel guilty, like I am letting myself down. I wish I could just skip a day, and do absolutely nothing.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As long as you get enough sleep and your diet provides your body with the nutrients it needs to not only fuel your workouts but also provide adequate recovery from them, you should be fine.

Also, track your performance during your workouts as well. If you're able to progress, meaning you can lift more weight or perform cardio at a faster pace, you're right on track. If your performance drops off consistently, then you might be over-training and should consider backing off a bit.