phentermine

Options
Is anyone taking phentermine for appetite suppression? I started it last week and would like to know how others are doing with it!

Replies

• ladyjade68
    ladyjade68 Posts: 56
    Options
    I started taking it on April 12. It works great for appetite suppression. I take it about 6am, and I feel energized all day. It does not make me jittery as things that I have taken in the past. Good luck!
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a couple of months before MFP trying to get over a plateau. Personally, I didn't see a lot of difference with the appetite, but I had a ton of energy!! The down side was that I also had a lot of trouble sleeping at night and getting enough rest. I did lose weight but it took a week or so before it really kicked in. After I started MFP I asked the Dr to take me off it because I want to try to do this without the help...otherwise I will never be able to maintain it for life. I went through a big drop about a week after going off, but I am starting to dig back out. I don't know if that helps. Overall i would say it is good for a temporary boost and to get over a plateau, but it isn't miracle cure and doesn't replace good lifestyle choices. I will probably consider going back on if I hit another major plateau, but I will try a lot of other things first. Good luck.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I took it for 8 months. My doctor only prescribed 4 months worth b/c it can cause dependency. But she also said I could cut the pills in half to prolong how long I could take it. I'm no longer on the pills, but they helped kick start things tremendously. Like other posters, I had a lot of trouble sleeping on these. But I had a lot of energy so the lack of sleep wasn't as painfully felt.
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion on this drug is....SCARY.....I believe when you use drugs like this you are hurting yourself in the long run.Doctors may prescribe it but that doesn't mean it is healthy for your body.I havnt seen results from people that I have seen on it and one that I did know that did lose weight,gained all the weight back.....weight loss is darn near 100% mental in my opinion.
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    My personal opinion on this drug is....SCARY.....I believe when you use drugs like this you are hurting yourself in the long run.Doctors may prescribe it but that doesn't mean it is healthy for your body.I havnt seen results from people that I have seen on it and one that I did know that did lose weight,gained all the weight back.....weight loss is darn near 100% mental in my opinion.

I totally agree. ANd it (and many "metabolism/weight loss" boosters) really can destroy your metabolism (when you stop the med), leading to more weight gain down the road.
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I have taken this drug in the past and it does work. However, I will NEVER take it again. I have a friend that was taking it and it caused heart failure and she is about to get a pacemaker. She is only 37 years old. Apparentley this is not uncommon. I would be very careful with it. It's just not worth putting your life in jeopardy.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Agreed!
  • kristinabb
    kristinabb Posts: 18
    Options
    Nothing can force you to stop eating and being lazy. Phentermine is only a temporary appetite suppression. Our bodies can adapt to nearly anything therefore you do become immune to it. If you are willing to 100% make a lifestyle change while you allow the medication to assist your hunger in the initial stages I see nothing wrong with it when taken safely with diet and exercise. I took it, stopped, kept on losing, kept on living, kept on running ! I say to each their own and we should not throw around judgments about prescription medications and make stereotypes.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I just went for my second weigh-in yesterday, down 37 lbs! I am only taking half of my pill. My husband has been on it for 1 month and has lost 21 lbs. We are working on changing our habits and preferences. Food has always been an important part of our relationship and it will continue to be, but we are shifting the focus. We scour the store for low cal great tasting foods. I eat just about every 2-3 hours. Small meals and I finally am learning to understand portion control. We bought our first food scale yesterday so we could keep a more accurate account of our calorie intake. I am still new to all of this but I am feeling better each day.