Working out with a Tattooed Foot?!

Melis25Fit
Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
So I got a tattoo on the inner part of my foot (right above the arch) of a heart. It's about the size of 2 quarters side by side. It's already starting to scab, but I haven't worked out hard core yet. ( I am used to at least 45 mins of jogging or elliptical each day).
I got it done this past Friday night, and Saturday morning, I walked for 45 mind on the treadmill just in flip flops but got a nasty blister on my toe from the stupid flip flops. I also managed to do 20 mins of weights.

So tell me honestly, since I do love to get my work outs in (And I have a 5K in 2 weeks!) How realistic can I be with what I'm able to do in the gym? Shoes are obviously going to rub....

Any feedback/suggestions?

Replies

• skinnyjeans13
    skinnyjeans13 Posts: 179
    I have a large one on the side/top above the arch... anyway you really, really should avoid anything rubbing against it before it's healed. Scabs falling off too quickly or being taken off will ruin the tattoo and you will have to get it re-touched and if there's any scar tissue lemme tell you... tattooing over scar tissue is the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

Be careful and avoid wearing shoes if you can...
  • Cover it with a large bandage (the biggest you can find) and then wrap gauze around it to hold the bandage in place. It should stay secure and not get rubbed.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    I have both feet done, entire top part, and I worked out not to mention wear tactical boots for work. I used the covered gauze and taped it. I may not have tied my shoes as tight.

Whatever you do don't pick the scab. You'll lose color.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    My suggestion is to cover it with a band aid while you run, you should be ok. My feedback is,,,,, What were you thinking? Next time get your tattoo someplace it won’t interfere with your exercising.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    I don't have any tattoos (yet) but I have read about foot tattoos and how you need to not have anything rub against it. How long is it supposed to take to heal? Honestly, if it were me, I would either try another pair of flip flops or something that won't rub or I would just not do anything until it's healed. i wouldn't want to ruin it forever!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Ask the artist if you can wrap it while you exercise? But yes, rubbing can/will cause damage to the tat.
    I have two on the tops of my feet and one on ankle and everything rubbed on them, so I had to wear ballet flats forever lol.
    How long ago did you get it done?
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    i had my left foot tattooed (side and the top) and didn't have any issues with walking/wearing shoes on it, the issue is washing it - i was told not to get it ridiculously wet (beyond a sponge wipe) for 4-5 days..
    is there any way you could do a dvd workout at home so you don't necessarily have to wear shoes?

just be careful of the scab coming off too early - one of mine scabbed and some of the ink came out.. it looks ok cause its on a solid black butterfly and it just looks like the pattern on the wing but you don't want it happening on a heart or anything :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    I was thinking that I've lost 123 lbs, and I've wanted it for 2 years, and I wanted it in that spot. I am ALWAYS going to be active now, so it wasn't a decision about getting it done, it was just if I could deal with not being as active for awhile?

I just got it done this past Friday night, so 3 days ago.
    I don't want to damage it, but I can't NOT workout either.
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    I have one on my foot as well and as long as you put loads of vaseline or baby cream on it, cover it up and put socks and shoes on top you should be just fine. You can just not let it get dry or let your shoe rub against the bare skin.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Barefoot running? Not studies have proven it yet, (none disprove either) but the rumor is it is supposed to be great for strengthening your arches, toes, and calves and its better to run that way because its more natural. Just be sure to go somewhere that recently cut the grass so that cant rub either!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Maybe just stick to doing some exercise videos in the house until you can wear shoes? Shouldn't be too long until you're healed/
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I think I'd just focus on weight training for a week. Wear shoes, but there shudnt be too much rubbing while weight training.

Then just stick to flip-flops.
    One week off from running/cardio shouldn't set you back much.

I'd rather do that than mess up fresh ink.
  • LittleMissJamie
    LittleMissJamie Posts: 7 Member
    don't do it! lol. I got a tattoo in the same location on the inside of my left arch but mine is three words in script. Because it runs the length of my arch, I had to wear flats that didnt touch the area but I pushed my luck wearing flip flops that rubbed against the scab. Scabs on the area touched by the flipflip's strap peeled off first and a few months after it had healed it was lighter than the rest of the tattoo. The ink definitely didn't take as well as the other two uncovered words. Now I'm putting off getting it reinked until the end of the summer because I don't want to have to deal with not being able to get in solid workouts.

If working out is more important than your tattoo, definitely get back in your running shoes. But you'll most likely have to deal with the same issue when you need to get the tattoo reinked because it didn't get to heal properly this time.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    you can swim while you're healing, if you like to swim. Or just wear socks on the treadmill/elliptical. But don't ruin your lovely new ink by rushing into a workout.
This discussion has been closed.