Is your Scale Working??

Options
Hello Everyone,
Don't you find it funny when you step on your scale in the morning and it shows you losing weight, but the minute it shows you gaining weight, the scale must be broken!!! That happened to me this morning, after all of the exercising and eating right, the scale just didn't move! I only weigh myself once a week on Monday. Something like that would make most people up and quit altogether, but not me because I know even if I haven't lost any weight, I'm still getting healthier by eating right and exercising and there could be other reasons why the scale hasn't moved, like gaining new lean muscle mass that's now replacing the fat, so if there is anyone out there who's about to go out and replace that broken scale, take a good look at your eating and exercise regimen, a tweak here or there might be all you need to get it moving in the right direction.There are plenty of people here that would take a look at your food diary and offer great suggestions to get you headed down the road to successful weight loss.

Replies

• MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    before MFP, my scale was always broken! And yes, I even would re-calibrate it, just to make sure! Sometimes I still get mad at it, but you are so right - there are other NSV that are so important and really do make a difference in how we feel and look
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    Very good thinking. It is funny how people think that scale is broken when it doesnt move or moves up instead of down.Work hard on your eating and exercising and you will do well. :smile:
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    hahah right i do that.. check whether it's working if i do gain any :D.. if it still shows a gain then the goddamn scale is responsible for the expletives that follow ! :P
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Most definitely!! I started a new hybrid workout, combination of weight training and high intensity cardio, and this is my 3rd week. That scale has only gone down 2 pounds, but I have lost 10 1/4 inches, so I am now walking by my scale and instead of giving it the evil eye, I am just going to ignore it!! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I sound like a broken record but don't forget to measure yourself as well as stepping on the scale. Just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you aren't making progress. If you're exercising as well as watching your calories (and I hope you are! :smile: ) you may be adding muscle, which we all know weighs more per cubic inch than fat. Bring out that tape measure and track your waist, hips, thighs, etc. MFP has a place for this in the Weigh In area and you can add as many body areas to measure as you'd like.

I think you'll find that if you're doing things right and the scale isn't moving, you'll be shrinking in other areas.

Good luck!!
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    i struggle to believe mine even when I am losing! I have to stand on get off, stand on , get off a few more times...then go and make my bed up then sneak back up on it and stand one AGAIN!!

You are quite right though...eat right, do right and it's not just the number on the scale that counts.
  • hmsma
    hmsma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The same thing has been happening to me. My husband and I started MFP together on April 1st. He has lost 15 lbs and I have only lost 4. Seems so unfair!! Our scale works for him but not me!? I was getting pretty frustrated. But, I do the notice the changes in my body shape and fit of my clothes. I too think I have been gaining muscle tone and just not burning fat like hubby has been. (Our workouts are basically identical). Maybe he had better muscle tone than me to begin with? I'm really not sure how it all works...... I am not quitting though. I know I feel better, I am healthier, and we are enjoying the lifestyle changes with being more active. Screw the scale!! It'll happen eventually. Like hubby says "It took ten years to put it on it aint coming off in a month!"
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Screw the scale!! It'll happen eventually. Like hubby says "It took ten years to put it on it aint coming off in a month!"

This is the most important truth we have to learn here. There is no quick fix and the sooner one realizes it, the easier the rest of it gets, at least mentally.
  • reegordon
    reegordon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with my scale and would weigh myself everyday, sometimes 3-4 times throughout the day. If it even moved 0.1 pounds I would panic. Then one day I decided I was no longer going to let my scale control me. I went a whole week without weighing myself and when I weighed in again, I was amazed that i lost 3 pounds! Now I focus on how I look and feel and the weigh seems to come off a lot faster now! My new obsession now is looking in the mirror, lol!