My first 10k is completed!

Options
I started running about a year and half ago. My first run I "ran" approximately 60 seconds before I thought I was going to die. I spent months running with sore shins, sore knees and a sore ego! After many months of training successes and setbacks I finally finished my first race. I ran the woman's only Title 9k+ in Boulder yesterday. It was HOT and I have been training in much cooler weather so it threw me a little, but I was able to finish in 1 hour and 20 minutes! My family was there to cheer me across the finish line and my 8 year old daughter ran the last few yards and crossed the finish line with me! Today I feel great...no sore muscles at all!

So for all you newbie runners out there struggling to get past the first few painful months...it does get better! Running is still not easy for me, in fact I'm not sure I even really like it...but I sure do love the feeling when I'm done! :)

Replies

• hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I always say that I LOVE running the 23 hours a day I am NOT doing it -- but from the moment I hit start till the moment I hit stop on my Garmin -- I hate it!!!! (in a good way, of course) Way to rock your run :-)
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great accomplishment!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    WELL DONE!!!
  • Bavaria100
    Bavaria100 Posts: 42
    Options
    That is great! I am happy to hear that it will get better :laugh:
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I always say that I LOVE running the 23 hours a day I am NOT doing it -- but from the moment I hit start till the moment I hit stop on my Garmin -- I hate it!!!! (in a good way, of course) Way to rock your run :-)

LOL...that is exactly how I feel about it! It is a true love/hate relationship for me!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    well done - I'm doing a 10k in a few weeks.. not done as much training as I would like to due to a knee injury playing up but hoping to be able to walk and run it in around 2hours 15..and then next year beat it :D lol
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great job! Did you follow a training program? I feel the same about running, I look forward to it before, hate it while doing it, and then love the feeling of accomplishment after! I usually run about 4 miles 3 days a week and would really like to do a 10K.
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great job! Did you follow a training program? I feel the same about running, I look forward to it before, hate it while doing it, and then love the feeling of accomplishment after! I usually run about 4 miles 3 days a week and would really like to do a 10K.

I did follow a training plan. My local Title Nine store hosted a group run every sunday for the last several weeks and then gave us a training plan every week for 3 additional runs to do by ourselves. I generally only got in 3 runs total each week instead of the 4 recommended. If your already running 4 miles regularly you should be able to get ready for a 10k pretty quickly. I was only doing 2 miles 3x a week in January when I decided to do this race!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! you give me hope to run my first hals in sepetember.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Feels totally amazing doesn't it?
    I did my first 10k end of March and my second 5k Saturday =)
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    Very cool.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    Very cool.