Zumba

Options
mandycasey
mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
Hi I've recently joined this site as needing 2 lose alot of weight and i have been finding it very useful but there is one thing bothering me. I started zumba 3 weeks ago and i'm really enjoying it but when i come to adding my exercises in i can't find zumba anywhere so can't add it - i feel zumba should be a high cal burner so was bit gutted that it doesn't count. I will also be starting zumba toning soon and feel i really want to add these onto my exercises - is there anyone that could help with this or wot else i could use as a close exercise to zumba thankyou mandy

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I would use 'dancing, general'
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think we decided to use dancing.
  • 0Jaime0
    0Jaime0 Posts: 26
    Options
    I do the Zumba workout on the Wii - I log my minutes under "aerobics, general" I need to buy a HRM so I know exactly how many I am burning. Hope that helped.
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    if you get a heart rate monitor you can create your own exercise and then you will know exactly how much you've burned.
  • Harper0618
    Harper0618 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I love Zumba! The way I add it is....Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist Option. When you go into exercise put that in.
    Good Luck with your weight loss journey!!
  • Harper0618
    Harper0618 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I love Zumba! The way I add it is....Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist Option. When you go into exercise put that in.
  • modubb
    modubb Posts: 22
    Options
    I just started Zumba as well, and input it as 45 min high-aerobics and 15 min as low-aerobics. (For a 1 hour class.) I plan on wearing my heart monitor for class to tomorrow, so I can see what I am actually burning. This is probably the best way for you to have an acccurate number to input. Heart monitors are not that expensive, all things considered... I had to do this for the "Brazilian Butt Lift" (by beachbody)- because there are high energy workouts, as well as toning workouts. (Which, if you are looking for something to do at home, I HIGHLY recommend this series!)

Best of luck!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

thats how i add it too
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Please look online and figure out how much you burn for an hour of Zumba. Don't log it as anything else. Once you figure out (you may have to plug in weight, height, gender) log it in your own MFP log. For example, my Zumba class is very intense and I burn over 500 calories.

This way, it will be in your menu each time you need to log it.

It's more calories than general dancing or aerobics. Log it correctly.

Also, there's a LOT of forum posts here about Zumba, check them out using the search tool. :)
  • zumba_gal
    zumba_gal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i agree I got a heart rate monitor and made my own excerise... now if you go to different instructors your calorie burn will change so try and stay with the same instructor!!
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options

I go to Zumba 2 times a week and have been logging it this way as well. I just got a HRM for Mother's Day so I can't wait to try it out tonight and see how this compares to what my HRM says for me. Using this will allow you to atleast add it in somewhere. I imagine they are probably looking at adding it now that it is SO popular, but I'm just speculating. Good Luck!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I think we decided to use dancing.

It's more calories than dancing. My class is very intense and I personally burn over 500 calories during my class. Look online and you should be able to figure out how much you burn.

I had to do this for my other classes too--none of them were already in MFP so I custom added them to my list so they are there in my personal list when I need them.
  • perlah
    perlah Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm also a Zumba Fanatic and log it in as whiskey9890 does it as Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - i will invest in a heart rate monitor - in mean time i will use aerobics or dancing thanks again xx
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thanks everyone - i will invest in a heart rate monitor - in mean time i will use aerobics or dancing thanks again xx

HRMs are cheaper on Amazon.com and I would suggest a Polar one with a chest strap to be the most accurate!