To Lose 20 pounds........

chaneldear
chaneldear Posts: 8
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I will be 18 on Wednesday and I was wondering if I walked or ran this month how long I would have to do it. As in the minutes and how many months to lose the weight. I am 5"9 and 190 pounds. My doctor told me that I should at least be 160. I dont want to lose 30 until i see myself at 170. I am very tall and I don't want to get THAT skinny if you know what I mean. So I would love some views on this.

(sorry i posted this in the wrong post last time)

Replies

• westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    In my experience, if you are trying to lose weight you will need to incorporate exercise and healthier food intake than you currently are. When I was 18, I played soccer 2 hours a day, I could run 5 minute miles, etc but I still had flab and a mini spare tire around my waist. I was fit but I didn't look fit because I ate (and still struggle to eat) anything and everything. MFP is a great place to start correcting all of that.

To answer your question, I suggest starting by doing what your doctor said and walk for 15-20 minutes a day to the point where you feel your heart rate come up. At the peak of your walk you should find yourself having to control your breathing. Every day that you feel comfortable doing so, try to walk the same route faster or increase the length of your walk. Incorporate that with a healthy eating lifestyle and you will be healthy.

Good luck!
  • arush22
    arush22 Posts: 11
    Try to walk or run every day for at least 20 minutes and eat more frequently but less calories to speed up your metabolism. Depending on your body and dedication, it could take weeks or months to reach your goal. Good luck!!
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    every body is different, and it all boils down to calories in and calories out....my rule of thumb is to exercise in a manor I would be willing to continue for the rest of my life, because if I were to reach my goal, and then stop exercising the weight will just go right back on. I would think it will take 3-5 days per week for a few months on average? good luck with your journey.

It sometimes is easier to make some smaller goals instead of worrying about the final picture and how long it will take you, you can make them exercise goals (i.e distance, or time,) perhaps small weightloss goals ie 5 lbs in a month etc......

again, good luck
This discussion has been closed.