weight loss supplements

Options
2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hey all - the OP deactivated her account, so there's no point in continuing to respond to her...
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I am asking if anyone has any recommendations for anything I can try.. I am really struggling

I'm guessing since you have already lost a lot of weight that you are now in a plateau? ...and you are looking for something to help get you out of it? Yeah. I'm there right now. I haven't lost anything since Dec. 17. I've been at the SAME. WEIGHT......for almost 5 months. It is frustrating BUT you shouldn't turn to un healthy ways of losing the weight. Change up your exercise routine. Have you tried doing more intense cardio? How is your muscle development? You know lean muscle mass help you to burn fat. Drink more water.

Watch your fat intake. Since that is what Alli initially "does" for you. Try cutting out some of your fats and see if that helps. You don't want to use Alli because for one it's a nuisance. Two it keeps your body from absorbing any fat, and we all need some healthy fats in our diet. I'm sorry I can't give you my experience on taking Alli because I have never and will never put something like that in my body. I want to be strong and healthy not skinny and malnourished. But if that's what you want, go for it.
    Everyone here is trying to be helpful. Save you some frustration and some money since those things are crazy expensive. It's just not worth it.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I will skip the OMG posting of how weight loss supps are only a bad idea... :heart:

These types of posts will bring out the dogs!

I have tried a lot of them and I am not going to BS anyone about it.

Alli is bad news and did almost nothing for me but increase the frequency with which I had to change my shorts.

Hydroxycut hardcore XL 5000 super thermo etc was ok and I take it from time to time for the thermo jolt so I can make it through a 1000 cal cardio burn.

Flash point by Gaspari is prob the best one I have used yet. It i sublingual so you put it under your tongue and its disolves pretty quickly. Tastes a little like a sweat tart but this way I end up with gut rot a lot less. It is a thermo that works almost instantly without have to fill your gut with some liquid or handful of pills. I really did not feel a crash either. A friend of mine lost a decent amount of weight on this combined with exercise and proper nutrition of course :bigsmile:

I do not take W loss supps as frequent because being a warm person already any thermo tends to make me sweat all am even after working out....
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Seems silly to do that because she wasn't getting the info she wanted. Like I said - we're working to be healthy and fit the right way, not by popping pills
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    This site is supposed to be supportive. Have you heard the phrase " If you dont have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". Making a life change is difficult, and there is nothing wrong with taking some help from God given natural things or advice from friends. Just keep your opinion to yourself if you have to be a jerk about it!
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    So lately it has been driving me nuts about how many people want to take a pill to be skinny. Seriously, if there was a pill that made you skinny without having to exercise and eat right obesity would cease to exist. Don’t you think if doctors and the FDA had a pill that did this, they would prescribe it! People are to obsessed with a quick fix that has temporary results, if any results. I see people posting and asking “what about ______ pills?” or “ What diet pill do you recommend?”. PEOPLE STOP! Get your @ss in a gym, join a class, start a walking club, buy some DVD’s, hire a personal trainer, do something aside from trying to take a pill. The $60 you are going to pay for a bottle of pills can buy a lot of DVD’s and months at a gym.

"Lose 30 pounds in 30 days!"
    "Block the absorption of fat, carbs, and calories with this pill!"
    "Wear this and watch the pounds melt away."

and so i think i read that only positive answers to her question - YOU cleraly have too much time on your hands and YOU can't save everybody. you dont agree with her? move the frik on then...youre not goign to change her mind.

Whether you're flipping through a magazine, scanning the aisles of a health store, or watching late-night television, you're bound to see slogans like these touting the latest and greatest product designed to help YOU lose weight.

But chances are the only thing you'll lose by purchasing the latest "miracle diet product" is money. Diet scams are big business with sellers vying for their share of the nearly $35 billion that Americans spend each year on weight loss products and programs.

There have always been quack weight loss schemes out there because nobody ever believes that you can't lose weight faster than you gained it," says registered dietician Althea Zanecosky.

"It maybe took two years for them to gain those 15 pounds, but they want to lose it in two weeks."

A more realistic timetable for lasting weight loss is to lose about a pound or two a week, says Zanecosky.

Experts say relying on pills, patches, creams, and other gadgets to lose weight keeps millions of people from seeking weight loss programs that could really help them lose weight and reduce their risk of disease. The sale of diet pills continue to be on the rise in North America. Many people are lead to believe that they are a safe and effective way to lose weight. Most diet pills on the market are not safe, can cause serious side effects and have resulted in death. Popular diet pills such as Acutrim and Dexatrim contain a combination of phenylpropanolamine and caffeine. Phenylpropanolamine is a stimulant and effects the central nervous system. It can produce symptoms such as increased heart rate, dizziness, high blood pressure, nausea, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, dry mouth and diarrhea.

The biggy’s in the diet scam industry right now:

1. Metabolism-boosting/calorie-burning pills
    At the top of the list of diet scams are pills based on herbal ingredients that promise to boost your metabolism and help you burn calories or fat faster.

“New herbs always seem to percolate to the top as potential diet aids, as one leaves another shows up because the FDA doesn’t monitor herbs,” says Zanecosky. “Most of time they are just ineffective; once in a while they are dangerous.”

Two recent examples of herbal diet pills that caught the attention of the FDA as dangerous are ephedra and kava (Piper methysticum, also known as kava kava).

Until recently, ephedra was found in many herbal dietary supplements for weight loss, but in February 2004, the FDA banned the sale of ephedra in any dietary supplement in the U.S. due to the risk of illness or injury. The herb is a close chemical cousin of methamphetamine or speed and can cause high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, insomnia, nervousness, tremors, seizures, heart attacks, strokes, and even death.
    Kava is a plant found in the islands of the South Pacific. Supplements containing the herbal ingredient are often promoted for relaxation as well as weight loss. But the FDA issued a warning in 2002 that use of supplements containing kava has been linked to severe liver injury.

2. Fat- and carb-blocking pills
    Pills that claim to block your body’s absorption of fat and more recently carbohydrates are also commonly-sold diet scams.
    Even if these fat and carb blockers worked as they say they do, researchers say the effects can be dangerous if not just plain unpleasant.
    It’s like making someone lactose intolerant, says Zanecosky. By making the body unable to breakdown nutrients in the body, which leads to gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea, bloating, and gas, these pills also block the absorption of the vitamins that travel with these nutrients.
    “Why would someone purposely submit themselves to that?” says Zanecosky. “Some fat blockers might have something in them that can interfere with how people absorb fat, but they’ve never been shown to help with substantial weight loss.”

3. Weight loss teas
    Teas based on herbal ingredients are also touted as diet aids, but researchers say the main ingredient in many of these teas is caffeine, which is a diuretic and leads to water loss.

“Losing water isn’t losing weight,” says Zanecosky. “Caffeine can also increase metabolic rate by a small amount but not enough that you would be able to say that it contributed to weight loss.”
    Registered dietitian Nelda Mercer agrees and says the only potential weight loss benefit of drinking herbal teas might be using them as a substitute for high-calorie beverages.

Mercer says that with some diet teas, it’s the program the comes along with the teas that may sometimes promote weight loss, such as teas that recommend you drink it after dinner and then not eat anything else until morning. That way it could curb late-night eating, but it’s not necessarily a result of drinking the tea itself.
    4. Diet patches and jewelry
    Patches that deliver drugs though the skin have become popular for helping smokers quit and delivering estrogen to relieve menopausal symptoms.
    But experts say no effective weight loss drugs have been designed to be delivered through the skin via patches. Most of the time, these patches contain the same ineffective herbs found in dietary supplements or teas.
    Also included in this diet scam category is jewelry, such as earrings or bracelets, designed to be worn on the body with the promise to help people shed pounds. According to the FTC, any claim that people can lose even a pound or more a week using these devices is false.
    5. Body wraps or “slim suits”
    If there were an “oldie but goodie” diet scam prize winner, experts say it would likely go to body wraps.
    The thick, layered sweat suits once popular decades ago have morphed into silver “slim suits” and fat-melting body wraps designed to lock body heat in and melt away the pounds.
    But researchers say the only type of weight loss caused by wearing these outfits is water loss caused by excessive sweating. As soon as you take a drink, you’ll gain all that water weight back.
    6. HCG- Tune in next week for why this is the biggest scam of all! This one ruffles my feathers the most so I will have an ENTIRE post about it!

How to Spot a Diet Scam
    Experts say the only way to lose weight for the long haul is to burn more calories than you eat, and that process is slow. That means any diet products or program that promises “quick and easy” weight loss without any effort or sacrifice is bound to be bogus.

But if that’s not enough to raise your suspicions, here are some frequently used buzz words to watch for, according to the FTC:
    No Diet! No Exercise!Lose 30 Pounds in 30 DaysEat Your Favorite Foods and Still Lose WeightShrinks Inches Off Your Stomach, Waist, and HipsScientists Announce Incredible Discovery!Revolutionary European Method! Ancient Chinese Secret!Turn On Your Body's Fat-Burning ProcessAutomatically Convert Fat to Lean Trim Muscle!Absorbs FatDeveloped After Years of Secret ResearchNew Scientific/Medical Breakthrough

Not only do diet scam pitchmen tend to use the same words in their advertising, the FTC says they also employ some of the same sales techniques, such as:
    —Extravagant claims of dramatic, rapid weight loss.
    —Testimonials from "famous" doctors, researchers, or other medical experts.
    —Dramatic before-and-after photos depicting substantial weight loss.
    —Ads that tout the latest trendy ingredient in the headlines.
    —A footnote hidden somewhere in an ad noting "diet and exercise required."

http://torquefitness.blogspot.com/
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    interesting OP. she seemed crabby.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    So lately it has been driving me nuts about how many people want to take a pill to be skinny. Seriously, if there was a pill that made you skinny without having to exercise and eat right obesity would cease to exist. Don’t you think if doctors and the FDA had a pill that did this, they would prescribe it! People are to obsessed with a quick fix that has temporary results, if any results. I see people posting and asking “what about ______ pills?” or “ What diet pill do you recommend?”. PEOPLE STOP! Get your @ss in a gym, join a class, start a walking club, buy some DVD’s, hire a personal trainer, do something aside from trying to take a pill. The $60 you are going to pay for a bottle of pills can buy a lot of DVD’s and months at a gym.

"Lose 30 pounds in 30 days!"
    "Block the absorption of fat, carbs, and calories with this pill!"
    "Wear this and watch the pounds melt away."

Whether you're flipping through a magazine, scanning the aisles of a health store, or watching late-night television, you're bound to see slogans like these touting the latest and greatest product designed to help YOU lose weight.

But chances are the only thing you'll lose by purchasing the latest "miracle diet product" is money. Diet scams are big business with sellers vying for their share of the nearly $35 billion that Americans spend each year on weight loss products and programs.

There have always been quack weight loss schemes out there because nobody ever believes that you can't lose weight faster than you gained it," says registered dietician Althea Zanecosky.

"It maybe took two years for them to gain those 15 pounds, but they want to lose it in two weeks."

A more realistic timetable for lasting weight loss is to lose about a pound or two a week, says Zanecosky.

Experts say relying on pills, patches, creams, and other gadgets to lose weight keeps millions of people from seeking weight loss programs that could really help them lose weight and reduce their risk of disease. The sale of diet pills continue to be on the rise in North America. Many people are lead to believe that they are a safe and effective way to lose weight. Most diet pills on the market are not safe, can cause serious side effects and have resulted in death. Popular diet pills such as Acutrim and Dexatrim contain a combination of phenylpropanolamine and caffeine. Phenylpropanolamine is a stimulant and effects the central nervous system. It can produce symptoms such as increased heart rate, dizziness, high blood pressure, nausea, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, dry mouth and diarrhea.

The biggy’s in the diet scam industry right now:

1. Metabolism-boosting/calorie-burning pills
    At the top of the list of diet scams are pills based on herbal ingredients that promise to boost your metabolism and help you burn calories or fat faster.

“New herbs always seem to percolate to the top as potential diet aids, as one leaves another shows up because the FDA doesn’t monitor herbs,” says Zanecosky. “Most of time they are just ineffective; once in a while they are dangerous.”

Two recent examples of herbal diet pills that caught the attention of the FDA as dangerous are ephedra and kava (Piper methysticum, also known as kava kava).

Until recently, ephedra was found in many herbal dietary supplements for weight loss, but in February 2004, the FDA banned the sale of ephedra in any dietary supplement in the U.S. due to the risk of illness or injury. The herb is a close chemical cousin of methamphetamine or speed and can cause high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, insomnia, nervousness, tremors, seizures, heart attacks, strokes, and even death.
    Kava is a plant found in the islands of the South Pacific. Supplements containing the herbal ingredient are often promoted for relaxation as well as weight loss. But the FDA issued a warning in 2002 that use of supplements containing kava has been linked to severe liver injury.

2. Fat- and carb-blocking pills
    Pills that claim to block your body’s absorption of fat and more recently carbohydrates are also commonly-sold diet scams.
    Even if these fat and carb blockers worked as they say they do, researchers say the effects can be dangerous if not just plain unpleasant.
    It’s like making someone lactose intolerant, says Zanecosky. By making the body unable to breakdown nutrients in the body, which leads to gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea, bloating, and gas, these pills also block the absorption of the vitamins that travel with these nutrients.
    “Why would someone purposely submit themselves to that?” says Zanecosky. “Some fat blockers might have something in them that can interfere with how people absorb fat, but they’ve never been shown to help with substantial weight loss.”

3. Weight loss teas
    Teas based on herbal ingredients are also touted as diet aids, but researchers say the main ingredient in many of these teas is caffeine, which is a diuretic and leads to water loss.

“Losing water isn’t losing weight,” says Zanecosky. “Caffeine can also increase metabolic rate by a small amount but not enough that you would be able to say that it contributed to weight loss.”
    Registered dietitian Nelda Mercer agrees and says the only potential weight loss benefit of drinking herbal teas might be using them as a substitute for high-calorie beverages.

Mercer says that with some diet teas, it’s the program the comes along with the teas that may sometimes promote weight loss, such as teas that recommend you drink it after dinner and then not eat anything else until morning. That way it could curb late-night eating, but it’s not necessarily a result of drinking the tea itself.
    4. Diet patches and jewelry
    Patches that deliver drugs though the skin have become popular for helping smokers quit and delivering estrogen to relieve menopausal symptoms.
    But experts say no effective weight loss drugs have been designed to be delivered through the skin via patches. Most of the time, these patches contain the same ineffective herbs found in dietary supplements or teas.
    Also included in this diet scam category is jewelry, such as earrings or bracelets, designed to be worn on the body with the promise to help people shed pounds. According to the FTC, any claim that people can lose even a pound or more a week using these devices is false.
    5. Body wraps or “slim suits”
    If there were an “oldie but goodie” diet scam prize winner, experts say it would likely go to body wraps.
    The thick, layered sweat suits once popular decades ago have morphed into silver “slim suits” and fat-melting body wraps designed to lock body heat in and melt away the pounds.
    But researchers say the only type of weight loss caused by wearing these outfits is water loss caused by excessive sweating. As soon as you take a drink, you’ll gain all that water weight back.
    6. HCG- Tune in next week for why this is the biggest scam of all! This one ruffles my feathers the most so I will have an ENTIRE post about it!

How to Spot a Diet Scam
    Experts say the only way to lose weight for the long haul is to burn more calories than you eat, and that process is slow. That means any diet products or program that promises “quick and easy” weight loss without any effort or sacrifice is bound to be bogus.

But if that’s not enough to raise your suspicions, here are some frequently used buzz words to watch for, according to the FTC:
    No Diet! No Exercise!Lose 30 Pounds in 30 DaysEat Your Favorite Foods and Still Lose WeightShrinks Inches Off Your Stomach, Waist, and HipsScientists Announce Incredible Discovery!Revolutionary European Method! Ancient Chinese Secret!Turn On Your Body's Fat-Burning ProcessAutomatically Convert Fat to Lean Trim Muscle!Absorbs FatDeveloped After Years of Secret ResearchNew Scientific/Medical Breakthrough

Not only do diet scam pitchmen tend to use the same words in their advertising, the FTC says they also employ some of the same sales techniques, such as:
    —Extravagant claims of dramatic, rapid weight loss.
    —Testimonials from "famous" doctors, researchers, or other medical experts.
    —Dramatic before-and-after photos depicting substantial weight loss.
    —Ads that tout the latest trendy ingredient in the headlines.
    —A footnote hidden somewhere in an ad noting "diet and exercise required."

http://torquefitness.blogspot.com/

yeah so THIS is what i meant to say: and so i think i read that only positive answers to her question - YOU cleraly have too much time on your hands and YOU can't save everybody. you dont agree with her? move the frik on then...youre not goign to change her mind.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    OMG.

PEOPLE do you not READ-. She wanted Positive comments. Everybody jumped down her throat about not taking Diet pills.

She has DEACTIVATED HER ACCOUNT because of the lovely support everyone gave her.

Let this thread die.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    I am only looking for positive feedback for someone who can help with my question.

If you are only looking for positive feedback, why bother posting? If ALL you are looking for is a couple of people to say "sure, go ahead, it worked for me" and do NOT want to hear from all the people who will say "It sucks", then it sounds like you have already made up your mind to take it regardless, and are just looking for someone to make you feel good about your bad decision.
    I don't think Alli helps curb appetite or give you energy. IT alters your body's ability to absorb fat

and this person is right, it does just block fat absorption, no energy boost or appetite suppression, you still crave the fat, it just makes you crap your pants if you eat it.

maybe its a bad idea for YOU...maybe some people need ot live and learn...step off and move onto another topic ... there' splenty out here for you to b*tch about.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you're really looking for some solid weight loss, I'm sure there's a bunch of underground stores of ephedrine-riddled products out there. Nothin' like good ol' speed to help shed off unwanted pounds. You wouldn't have to worry about counting calories or exercise because the effects it has on your body will make you feel like a superhero living off a stick of gum to keep you feeling full and feeling euphoric.

As for a dose of reality, there's really no supplement for that. If you're going to ask a forum of people, with a goal to achieving a lifestyle of natural health, what's the best weight loss supplement, and you're not getting the answers you're looking for, you're either a determined troll or you're on the wrong site. The majority of people here may not condone the use of them. And simply requesting to receive positive feedback about it won't guarantee that either.

So, instead of telling those kind enough to give advice worthy of sparing side effects of supplements to stfu, maybe you should
    m220415799.jpg
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a weight loss supplement that works. I'm thinking of using alli, which is what my sister uses. Something that will help with energy and help suppress my appetite. I am only looking for positive feedback for someone who can help with my question.

Try normal caffeine, VPX Meltdown or Jack3D.

I'm not a fan of supplements myself but if you have your heart set on it those 3 aren't atrocious....
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This site is supposed to be supportive. Have you heard the phrase " If you dont have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". Making a life change is difficult, and there is nothing wrong with taking some help from God given natural things or advice from friends. Just keep your opinion to yourself if you have to be a jerk about it!

Hate to break this to you, but no "diet pill" is natural.
  • Raven5287
    Raven5287 Posts: 31
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Look there are some rude responses but its because they are bad for you & people worry.... You need help losing more?.... switch up your routine!! Make sure to drink a gallon of water a day, drink green tea and lemon water.... Those are supposed to help with weight lose. I have been stuck for awhile too but have really been seeing GOOD results here lately doing this and switchsing things up. I only get time to maybe work out for 10 min here and there overall too. Yogo, pilates, strength, cardio, jogging, resistance..... SOOOOO MANY THINGS TO DO!! switch it up every day and you will see results. Dont forget the fluid though..... Diet pills dont work in a healthy way and once you stop taking them you generally gain the weight back & then some. All have serious side effects that arent found till its too late.... remember metabolife?? (sp) If you are trying to lose weight do it the healthy way and dont get discouraged!! find yourself a good support group of friends on here and make a lifestyle change.... Add me! Ill listen to ya and try to help encourage you any way I can... Those pills can cause horrible mental side effects too... Sorry I dont know of a mirical pill.... all I have ever seen is really bad side effects.... My sister in law is the spoke person for that! Shes freaking nuts..... lol..... dont get angry or discouraged girl.... you can and will lose weight & hopefully in a healthy way!! seriously though add me if you want GOOD LUCK!!! <3:smile:
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking green tea. I do and it curbs my appetite very well! Also, drink a BIG glass of water when you feel hungry and that should help... the green tea also gives you energy. I love it. :) I did try Alli and got the same gross side effects as other people said, so for that reason alone I would not try it. Are you supplementing with anything else, we sell some stuff on our site, but I'm not asking you to buy, just if you have any questions, let me know. Rhodiola is so powerful for energy. Good luck hun,...
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, there is a point and time we all struggle. I have been on every diet and diet pill one can think of (almost alli but too many warnings for me) and not only do I want to be thin, but toned. Toned is done by working out, plus a diet pill cannot keep a persons orgins and other internal body parts healthy like good, healthy food and exercise.

Good luck and keep positive, we are all here to lend our personal advice and/or expierence, its just adive. :smile:
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The problem with any kind of weight loss aid is that it only works (if it works) for as long as you use it. If you depend on something to reject fat in your intestinal tract or to boost your metabolism, you will likely lose weight, however you won't keep it off.

I understand you don't want negative replies, but you have come to wrong place if you thought people wouldn't tell you the truth, even in kindness.
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    I agree with erinhale. we need to just get up and go to the gym or even just walking. Believe me if a pill could do it for me I would have it. But I do prefer the gym and watching the pounds go away
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    Listen, if you want to take something that enhances your weight loss and your doctor agrees with your choice - go for it.

I'm so heavy, I've got High Blood Pressure. I've tried OTC metabolism boosts and they are BAD for my BP.

I did look into Alli, but the people I know who have tried it said the bad outweighed the good for them. So I took it back.

Talk to your doctor. I'd hate for you to take something that would hurt you.

Good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi I am locking this because it is getting ugly and the OP has closed her account.

Y'all have a great day!!

Arewethereyet
    MFP Forum Moderator:smooched:
This discussion has been closed.