Other peoples comments...

Options
Hi

I am well known for my healthy ways, not drinking tea and coffee, and going to the gym, keeping as active as possible etc to all my friends and peers at university.

Since joining MFP, I understand its ok to have a treat, it ok to drink coffee, It not the end of the world if I eat something that isn't deemed as healthy. Everything in moderation is the key:smile:

So when I went to university today I really wanted a cappachino (Caffeine and I had 1 and a half hours sleep prior because of doing nightshift:yawn: ) and I picked up a blue berry muffin. When I took them back to the table of peers, one women said "oh my god and stared at me like I had three heads:ohwell: . I felt guilty for eating it, but said "im allowed a treat now and then now" but it made me feel really bad.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this :explode:

Replies

• tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes last night I had some chips and my husband wanted the biggest one and tried to get me to give it to him by telling me it's really like eating 2 chips.... it seems like anytime i eat something unhealthy people are like "i'm shocked you are eating that!" then i get a guilt trip
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depending on where the muffin was from, many of them from the local coffee shops are about 500 calories or a full meals worth of calories but they don't fill you up like a properly balanced meal. If it fits in your calorie goal for the day go for it, saves a big pig-out on the items you've been restricting yourself from.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    screw her! tell her to mind her own damn business! people have no manners. good for you, and keep up all of your hard work!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Were they shocked because you'd eaten something you normally wouldn't? or were they just being funny with you?
    Either way, it's nothing to do with them what you eat. It's your body and watching you eat a muffin won't make them fatter (or you if you eat healthily besides the odd muffin!)
    I told my mum i was eating healthier and freaked out a bit when she got angry with me for wanting to cook something healthier with more vegetables at home (im at university) but later on when i had some calories spare and ate some chocolate she got really sarcy with me. I feel a bit like she's watching everything i eat so she can comment on the bad choices i make. I love her very much but she has a real issue with other peoples weight, mostly mine. (she is very slim and it is not something she works hard for)

I think it was Ghandi who said 'I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet'
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Come hang out with me. We shall both enjoy our caffeine and muffins (in moderation!)
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes I know how you feel. I REALLY wanted a flapjack today.... I settled with a tiny one which has left me gagging for more. My other half always makes me feel guilty about what I eat, probably as hes the one that has to listen to me prattling on about how large my ar*e is etc so I guess I can see his point. But sometimes I just think cut me a wee bit of slack here, if I want to have something naughty everynow and then I will damn it... but I cant without the guilt. :grumble:

I hope you enjoyed your muffin regardless of nosey woman! :flowerforyou:
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Depending on where the muffin was from, many of them from the local coffee shops are about 500 calories or a full meals worth of calories but they don't fill you up like a properly balanced meal. If it fits in your calorie goal for the day go for it, saves a big pig-out on the items you've been restricting yourself from.

You were the lady at the table, weren't you :P
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your support,:wink: I think they were shocked because they are used to seeing me eat fruit:yawn: , but I still felt there was no need to react the way she/they did when I got it.
    Even to give anyone a complex!

Well I did enjoy it:love: , but I wont be getting another one around them:cry: !!

xx
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Haha, this made me ROFL. I understnd that they are high in calories, but it was not the point. It was what I was eating and they shouldnt comment. x
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    Options

hahahahaha.... was thinking that too!
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    Options
    Thank you for all your support,:wink: I think they were shocked because they are used to seeing me eat fruit:yawn: , but I still felt there was no need to react the way she/they did when I got it.
    Even to give anyone a complex!

Well I did enjoy it:love: , but I wont be getting another one around them:cry: !!

xx

Sometimes you just got to have what you fancy! :drinker:
  • chilipeppers
    chilipeppers Posts: 119
    Options
    haha! that's laaaaaammmmeeee! I get the occasional comment, but mostly people don't give a damn what I happen to be eating. Only my boyfriend ever says anything, but he does it because he wants to support me(though I get annoyed because I know how many calories I have left and what I can eat!)

ignore them. People are so nosy.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you felt. My mom spent most of my childhood commenting on what I was eating and how bad it was for me and it would make me fat. My dad would feel bad and sneak me treats to make me feel better. Instead of making me eat healthier I just developed a complex about eating in front of people and would binge on the side when no one could see me (hence my current weight). Even today now that I'm trying to exercise and eat healthier I will react very negatively if someone comments on the caloric content of what I'm eating (either by getting unnecessarily angry or binging later). It's something that I'm working through.

So... I guess it's good that you don't have too much of a complex, but what you should say next time someone steps out of bounds like that is to just remind them that what you eat is your business and it's those kind of comments that drive people toward disordered eating habits so they should probably check themselves. Politely of course.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    And people wonder why so many people have "food issues". Maybe if they'd stop being so damn judgmental and be more supportive food wouldn't be such an issue. That muffin sounds SO yummy. I had a black forest mocha over the weekend, it was heaven in a cup
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nope I'm no woman, and I wasn't trying to add to the "bad comments" on choices, I was over on my calories twice this weekend with the tuxedo cake and a couple other things that I absolutely don't normally have. I know when things fit in my calorie goals, whether they are "diet food' or not, and if I want them I'll have them. *Looks at the blueberry bagel that is in my snack for work* yup, I chose it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So all this lady said was "Oh my god" and then gave you a look like she was constipated? Errrr, and?

Maybe she said "oh my god" and then thought "that muffin looks delicious, I am so sneaking one in when no one is looking"

or

"oh my god" and then thought "look at that girl, she can just eat anything she wants and stay slim. I wish as I was her..."

or

"oh my god" and then thought "I hear that MSF posts on MFP. He is like so totally dreamy. Sigh"

My point is you can't control other people's reaction but you can control your reaction to their reactions and choose errrrr, not to react. I'm in the middle of a chain reaction here it seems...
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I had this happen to me today. I work with a guy that thinks he's an expert at weight loss because he lost a ton of wight quick. Ignore the fact that he did it taking 12 different pills a day...

Today I had a bag of baked chips and a salad. He came over and asked if anything was wrong, if I was feeling OK, etc. Then he pointed at my chip bag. I explained to him the difference between baked and regular chips. I decided to take the high road and not mention the two boxes for fried chicken, gravy, and potatoes he had last week!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    judging by your pics one muffin is definitely not going to hurt you. you look great. congrats on all your hard work and success
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

or

"oh my god" and then thought "I hear that MSF posts on MFP. He is like so totally dreamy. Sigh"

My point is you can't control other people's reaction but you can control your reaction to their reactions and choose errrrr, not to react. I'm in the middle of a chain reaction here it seems...

LMAO...nice one man. that cracked me up.
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    So all this lady said was "Oh my god" and then gave you a look like she was constipated? Errrr, and?

Maybe she said "oh my god" and then thought "that muffin looks delicious, I am so sneaking one in when no one is looking"

or

"oh my god" and then thought "look at that girl, she can just eat anything she wants and stay slim. I wish as I was her..."

or

OMG you are too funny!!! Don't let other peoples reactions influence you. My kids do this to me all the time and they do it because they know I have been working hard and don't want me to feel quilty. Sometimes people are trying to help sometimes they are inappropriate comments don't let that influence how far you have come. It will always happen no matter what size you are.