running on the treadmill vs. running outside

Options
gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
So I'm less than a month away from my 5k. I've done most of my training on the treadmill and when I run outside i notice that my pace is about 30 seconds slower than if i were to run on the treadmill. should i be concerned for my race? do i have to do more outside training? what can i do to keep a good pace?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I always set the treadmill to at least 1% incline to sort of compensate for it being a bit easier than outdoor running.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    more outside training. The treadmill gives you a small boost in your pushoff from your foot because of the belt moving. :D
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    It might be just an adjustment for you. I am sure the more you run outside, the more accustomed you will get to it and your pace should improve.
  • 0plato0
    0plato0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Different people react differently to running ourside vs running on a treadmill.

Personally I find i run faster outside but there we go.

I'd suggest doing more outside training runs if you can, if gets you used to varying elevations and bumpy surface underfoot, and running in "weather" and what not.

In terms of keeping a good pace, are you doing a race for life 5k?

If you are, they're very good, specially if you do one of the big ones, you can find a person in the crowd that you think runs at the same pace as you, or even slightly faster and set pace with them... or try to keep with a crowd or something.

I found my best times were at races, I would run with one person for a little bit and then "leap frog" onto someone a few feet ahead of me and go round the whole thing like that and before I knew it i'd run my first sub 30min 5k.

Good lucki for your run!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    going to say the same thing, surely it is just good to complete a 5k, how can you determine a 'pace' ?
    It may be raining or very windy

anywho

good luck with your race

Stu
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed at all for your first 5k. Just focus on finishing and enjoying it. :smile:

Personally, I run about a minute faster per mile during races than I do during training, either on the treadmill or outside, but overall, I find it easier to run outside. During a race, having others running with you changes everything. You want to keep up with people, so you push a little harder, and there's a HUGE thrill in passing someone.

I "learned" to run on a treadmill, and run outside now. I train on the hellish hills in my neighborhood, so the mild hills in races seem like nothing.
  • FAKECED
    FAKECED Posts: 61
    Options
    Bottom line is there is nothing like running outside and including hills in your training. :)
  • gooberr4
    Options
    Different people react differently to running ourside vs running on a treadmill.

Personally I find i run faster outside but there we go.

I'd suggest doing more outside training runs if you can, if gets you used to varying elevations and bumpy surface underfoot, and running in "weather" and what not.

In terms of keeping a good pace, are you doing a race for life 5k?

If you are, they're very good, specially if you do one of the big ones, you can find a person in the crowd that you think runs at the same pace as you, or even slightly faster and set pace with them... or try to keep with a crowd or something.

I found my best times were at races, I would run with one person for a little bit and then "leap frog" onto someone a few feet ahead of me and go round the whole thing like that and before I knew it i'd run my first sub 30min 5k.

Good lucki for your run!

I'm running in a 5k that's held by my local YMCA. I've heard it's a good idea to "leap frog" or pick one person in the crowd and try to beat them. I used to swim competitively so I'm kind of counting on my competitive racing past to get my butt in gear. I just got back from the gym and did a 5k under 30 minutes so I'm now expecting to do at least that at this race haha.

I was planning on running more outside as the race got closer but I think I'm just getting a little more nervous b/c I know i CAN do it in under 30 min i'm going to be upset if i don't.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I always set the treadmill to at least 1% incline to sort of compensate for it being a bit easier than outdoor running.

This would be a great recommendation to follow if you only have a treadmill available.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    My experience is that running outside is a whole lot tougher than running on a treadmill. My pace was slower and my body had to get used to the 'pounding' of running on pavement. If you're 5K is outside, I would do at least some training outside.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill and running outside are different, for sure.

With a treadmill you have a belt controlling your pace, and setting your speed. You have no wind, no rain, ideal road surfaces and a constant pace.

I would spend a some time running outside to get used to it and yes, you will see a difference in your pace as you now are doing all the work. But doing more work is a healthy thing too!

A 1% incline will help, but its still not the same. My running these days is almost exclusively outdoors. I can't stand the captivity of a dreadmill any longer.

You can do this! I have faith in ya! Besides, I need some competition in the Nike+ challenges.... :laugh:
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    thanks Jeff -- good advice as always and i love that term "dreadmill" :glasses:
    just thinking about "running on the spot" with a virtual trainer in the EA Sports Active game is enough to make me want to start running outside... never actually use treadmills but they always remind me of George Jetson taking Astro for a walk and getting wrapped up in the leash:laugh:
    Running on a treadmill and running outside are different, for sure.

With a treadmill you have a belt controlling your pace, and setting your speed. You have no wind, no rain, ideal road surfaces and a constant pace.

I would spend a some time running outside to get used to it and yes, you will see a difference in your pace as you now are doing all the work. But doing more work is a healthy thing too!

A 1% incline will help, but its still not the same. My running these days is almost exclusively outdoors. I can't stand the captivity of a dreadmill any longer.

You can do this! I have faith in ya! Besides, I need some competition in the Nike+ challenges.... :laugh:
  • gooberr4
    Options

i thought i hit join like, 5 days ago...now it's being slow to put up my runs :grumble:

ALSO, i hope no one joins last second that has freaking 500KM....that was LAME.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

i thought i hit join like, 5 days ago...now it's being slow to put up my runs :grumble:

ALSO, i hope no one joins last second that has freaking 500KM....that was LAME.

Yeah that kinda sucked didn't it? Wish we could lock the membership on those... like in the last week or so.
  • antipholous
    antipholous Posts: 116
    Options
    The treadmill is a totally different animal. Unlike running outside, the tread underneath your feet actually propels you forward. Because of this it doesn't work your muscles as much as outside running would (hence a lower calorie burn per mile and slower muscle growth) and artificially cuts down your time.

If you're training for a race I would suggest to run outside as much as possible (that is unless your race is on a treadmill). You can't compare the treadmill to an actual run. Terrain changes, muscles work harder, pace isn't dictated as rigidly, incline constantly changes (even minutely here and I live in the FLATlands). There's too many variables that the treadmill can't compensate for. You'll grow stronger and burn more calories and get a better idea of what a real run feels like.

To answer your question regarding your time, most people's treadmill time is faster than a "real" run. I wouldn't suggest comparing the two. Instead keep your best treadmill time and your best "real" time on their own scale.