do you eat pasta?

Options
cem789
cem789 Posts: 231 Member
like many other dieters, i have a fear of pasta

i never eat it, dont know how much to cook and just see it as calories that will go straight to my bum! but i run a lot now so should probably eat pasta :S

but i know brown pasta is good for you, im trying to shift my phobia of pasta so am looking for some cheap, easy pasta recipies

how many grams of pasta should i cook if i add a sauce, i dont like my evening meal to be more than 500 calories

Replies

• emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I normally allow myself 65-70g UNCOOKED weight of pasta. Im not sure how many calories this is though :(

I am starting to develop a fear of pasta, I dont know why because I love it and ive never eaten too much of it. Its one of them foods though that i could eat until I explode, and I dont really know how much a COOKED portion of pasta should look like .. :|

When adding sauces, make sure they are tomato based and not cheese/cream otherwise this will add the calories!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    LAWD! I don't know what I'd do without pasta! I eat whole wheat or Multigrain pasta/bread. I just make sure to limit myself to one serving!
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    Hell yes. Once a week. I love Barilla's Plus pasta. Higher in protein, whole grains, fiber and omega 3's than white pasta (which oddly, I can't stand to eat now). I don't like whole wheat pasta, but the Barilla plus one rocks.

I eat ONE serving (which is key), it's all about portion control (-:
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am just glad that I do not crave pasta because that would be the end of me haha

I am a fan but for some reason I just never eat it. It's not a "real meal" for me ...I don't know why. I never order it at restaurants because I know it's the worst value (even worse than chicken!) I am not going to be paying ~$25 for pasta that cost them $2 lol.

And I never make it because i know that i should eat one serving but I know that serving will not satisfy me lol
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat pasta. Two to three ounces DRY, following package directions, and I mix it with vegetables. I believe that 2 ounces dry is about 240 calories so by adding the vegetables, you can feed two people with only one serving.

Sautee spinach, broccoli, sauté onions and peppers, zucchini, etc. Whatever I have available. It makes two servings. You can make your own sauce or you can also get low sodium canned diced tomatoes and use that instead.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta at least once, and maybe more times, per week. I try to get whole wheat pasta. Not sure about the grams, but I just eat whatever is listed as a "serving" on the box.

In fact, tomorrow, I'm planning on making some linguine carbonara. Not the lowest fat or calorie dish (hello, bacon, egg, & cheese!), but I'm hitting the gym hard core in the morning to make room for it. It will be FABULOUS!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta still and manage to lose. A serving of pasta is 2oz (dry). Depending on the noodle it won't be very much...I find rigatoni to only be like a few pieces but spaghetti on the other hand is a good amount. I try to do whole grain pasta because I don't like whole wheat pasta.

ALL THINGS IN MODERATION! :)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    read the package for the serving size. It will be dry weight. We really needed to know so we measured out 1 serving, cooked it according to directions and weighed again and it doubled. Doesn't matter what kind of pasta. so normally it is 2oz/dry serving so cooked it is 4 oz
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I use spag squash I LOVE IT !! I add tomato paste crushed tomatos
    mushrooms peppers onions and let it simmer for a couple hrs (saves on all
    the salt in jar sauce) I can have a huge bowl for under 100 cal
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only real changes I've made with pasta consumption is to actually measure it dry so I don't go overboard (I could eat pasta like nobody's business - 2 or 3 servings and not feel full). I've also changed the portion in a lot of casserole type dishes like american chop suey. It calls for a whole box but I only use 2 servings and up the veggies.
  • kendallheather
    kendallheather Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    they make calorie free pasta now check this out it is call miracle noodle
  • ImBabyBunny
    ImBabyBunny Posts: 75
    Options
    I love pasta! I could eat it everyday! I eat it about 2 times a week now. Just make sure it's whole wheat....... and I NEVER eat it unless it's weighed out on my food scale first. Those serving sizes can be off....

I actually don't ever allow pasta to sit in it's box as soon as I buy it, I measure out every severing size, and put it into individual plastic baggies. That way I know exactly how many cals are in the pasta! I enjoy it a-lot more not worrying about eating to much of eat.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No. I never ate it as a child, then as a student lived off it for 3 years. I don't actually like it at all, and it makes me feel sick, but it's cheap and quick, so I used to eat it, but no I don't. It's not worth it when I don't even like the taste.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i eat pasta but only on work out days as my pre-workout meal because of all the carbs.
    a serving is 2oz DRY. i use my digital scale to weigh out.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love pasta so much that I was born into this world 1/4 Italian. Doesn't jive with my goals, though, so I don't eat it. Don't even crave it, either, but then again I never really get cravings.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, i might try it the night before i do a 10k this weekend
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was Italian, so when we would eat at her house the meal would be pasta AND bread! (And meatballs and green salad.) She made the pasta and sauce herself; it was soooo good. When she was in her late '80s I made pasta for her and she said, "where's the bread?" Italians use it to mop up the leftover sauce on the plate.

When I eat pasta now I make it as part of a one dish meal - sauteed onion and whatever vegetable is in season, garlic, cannellini or garbanzo beans, tomato sauce, a little shredded parmesan, and meatballs for my husband and soy meatballs for me. Easy and healthy.
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have it once everyweek or two and just make sure that I measure out 1 cup of cooked pasta and then have bucket loads of sauce on top. I make a sauce with heaps of veggies in it (ratatouille) and sometime some meat and can generally afford the calories to have some cheese on top too, and would always be under 500 calories.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I used to LIVE on pasta, and now I still enjoy it, although usually once or twice a month. I like the Trader Joe's Whole Wheat penne, but I've had regular pasta (even homemade pasta, which I LOVE making and eating) and it's not the bomb some people seem to think it is. It's important to eat carbs like this in moderation, along with protein and fat, but it can certainly be worked into almost any diet plan if it's important to you.
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    BEING THE ITALIAN I AM...PASTA IS ONLY ON SUNDAY...I ONLY EAT Tinkyada Pasta Joybr - Brown Rice Spirals 1/2 CUP WITH HOMEMADE TURKEY Bolognese SAUCE