Agave Nectar

Options

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    interesting link....I always enjoy reading articles from different sources which give you an idea of both sides of a topic :)
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "Agave Syrup was originally used to make tequila. When Agave Syrup ferments, it literally turns into tequila. The enzymatic activity therefore MUST be stopped so that the syrup will not turn into tequila in your cupboard. "
    LOL, SURE!!!!

When a grape ferments it turns into wine (a low alcoholic wine like substance)! When bread (yeast) ferments it turns into beer (a low alcoholic beer like substance). But agave nectar will never turn into tequila, there is a lot of work and distillation required to do that. As far as I know, fermentation alone can turn nothing into a 40% alcoholic substance.

I once accidentally left a sugared grapefruit in a container for a week. Once I opened it, it had a very strong scent of alcohol and tasted like sparkling wine...
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    "Agave Syrup was originally used to make tequila. When Agave Syrup ferments, it literally turns into tequila. The enzymatic activity therefore MUST be stopped so that the syrup will not turn into tequila in your cupboard. "
    LOL, SURE!!!!

When a grape ferments it turns into wine (a low alcoholic wine like substance)! When bread (yeast) ferments it turns into beer (a low alcoholic beer like substance). But agave nectar will never turn into tequila, there is a lot of work and distillation required to do that. As far as I know, fermentation alone can turn nothing into a 40% alcoholic substance.

I once accidentally left a sugared grapefruit in a container for a week. Once I opened it, it had a very strong scent of alcohol and tasted like sparkling wine...

They are talking about before it's processed into the syrup. Agave nectar is how they make tequila, so yeah
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    be food smart looks like a very interesting website
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    They are talking about before it's processed into the syrup. Agave nectar is how they make tequila, so yeah
    Still not true.
    They make vodka out of potatoes or grains, rum out of sugar cane, whiskey out of rye etc., but it is a LOT of work, takes a lot of time and craftsmanship and equipment. It requires distillation and doesn't just happen if you let agave nectar (or sugar cane, or potatoes or rye) sit on your shelf. Totally unprocessed agave nectar will not turn into tequila...EVER.
    It may have some alcohol content just like anything else that contains sugar and is left to fermentation, ie. any fruit, fruit juice or honey.
    Please note: Tequila has to have at least 40% alcohol..
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for the info. Regardless my point was that agave nectar isn't as good for you as everyone thinks it is. I personally prefer organic and natural things such as Honey. :) That's just my opinion though.
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    Well thanks for the info. Regardless my point was that agave nectar isn't as good for you as everyone thinks it is. I personally prefer organic and natural things such as Honey. :) That's just my opinion though.

no you had a good point....