How many lb loss are you set at?

Options
Just wanted to know if everyone is set at the 2lb weekly loss...or are people finding themselves more successful at 1.5lb, 1lb or 0.5lb loss.

Replies

• h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'm at 2lbs, but I'm a newb. And I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I started out at the 1 lb per week standard but found I needed a bit more of a deficit to give me more wiggle room (I do eat my exercise calories) so I reset it to 1.5 lb per week and that was perfect for me.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Im set at 2 pounds but i average about 1.5 pounds a week
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    I did the one pound per week weight loss and each week lost more than that. Right now I am working to maintain and doing the 1/2 pound a week for this. It is more gonna be up to you. Good Luck you can do it.
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    I was at the 2lb but after working out the calories werent enough I thought. I recently changed to 1 lb a weeek. Feel better and doing better.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    I have mine set at a 1 lb weekly loss, but I've had an average weekly loss of 1.44 lbs since January. I usually eat back most of my exercise calories.
  • flwannabe
    flwannabe Posts: 1
    Options
    I find I can keep up with the 1 lb per week much better. This way I don't feel "starved" or deprived of food. I feel stronger and better to keep up with exercise this way. Hang in there!!
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm set at a 1.5 pound weekly loss. I was set at 2 pounds but I was getting discouraged, so I switched it and it set my daily calorie goal from 1200/day to 1460/day. It's really not that many more calories but I feel like I can more easily stick to my weight loss.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    2 lbs per week. Been on since 10/5/10 so I have met that but I have ALOT to lose so not fair to compare to those with less to lose.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've been set at 1 pond per week since I started. There was a short time (a couple of weeks) when I upped it to 1.5 pounds and I stopped losing so I changed it back. I also have always eaten all of my exercise calories and my activity level is set to lightly active because I'm a stay at home mom.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1 because a 2 lb weight loss is hard to maintain, especially as you get closer to your goal weight. But then again, I'm on a low carb diet, which doesn't translate as well into "MFP math."
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I started at 2lb, but after a couple of months, I dropped to 1lb a week (though somehow I managed to lose 5 last week - eh?). I'm quite happy with a slow and steady rate that has me not facing hunger during the day.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I set it to two pounds, but I'll be happy with any loss at all. Setting it lower means that when I 'blow' the day, I'm generally still under 1.5, 1, or at least .5 a pound, whereas if I set it to .5 a pound I'd likely manage to gain weight, knowing myself.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1 lb loss, but it's actually more like 1/2 a lb, it's just that MFP won't let me go below 1200.
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been manually dropping my calories once I am able to meet my target cals successfully. I am currently on 1500 cals which estimates a loss of 1.4lb per week, I usually eat at least half my exercise cals (from strength training and cardio), and have been losing usually about 2lbs per week.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm within 3-5lbs. of meeting my goal weight so I'm set at losing 0.5lbs. per week. Otherwise, during the prior 4 months I was set at losing 1lb. per week. You should only be set to losing 2lbs. per week if you have a lot of weight to lose (30+lbs.).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Bad newb, 2lbs/week is a 1000 cal/day deficit, so if you exercise your deficit is over 1000, that is too large and will come back to bite you in a few weeks, or months (depending on how much you have to lose). Slow and steady wins the race.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I'm within 3-5lbs. of meeting my goal weight so I'm set at losing 0.5lbs. per week. Otherwise, during the prior 4 months I was set at losing 1lb. per week. You should only be set to losing 2lbs. per week if you have a lot of weight to lose (30+lbs.).

I'd say "a lot of weight to lose" is more like 75+ pounds. 30 pounds isn't *that* much in terms of the average person's weight loss and trying to lose 2 pounds per week is often far too restrictive.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

Bad newb, 2lbs/week is a 1000 cal/day deficit, so if you exercise your deficit is over 1000, that is too large and will come back to bite you in a few weeks, or months (depending on how much you have to lose). Slow and steady wins the race.

Yep! Read some threads about eating your exercise calories and you'll see why eating them is so important.
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, its good to see variety of options here.
    I might set myself up for the 1.5lb per week.