eating 1800 calories really??

Options
13»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Yeah. 50-70g is generally 20-30% for most people. The great thing about macro/calorie watching is that you can "cheat" without cheating. You can fit a poptart with nutella, or a bowl of sugar free ice cream or something like that every now and then, and you don't even feel guilty.

I mean, I understand Paleo and "healthy" eating. But in the end, there's plenty of things in this world that contribute to weight gain; if having some ice cream makes me overall keep a better diet, damn well better believe I'm gettin' me some ice cream!!!!!!

Picard_full_of_win.jpg
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9" right now I weight 195.0 I started at 225.5 .. I do try to eat a lot of protein that is one of the reasons for the meal replacement shakes they were full of protein... I am right now in my second phase of p90x and I run 2-4 miles on my cardio days...

If those are your stats then I think a good starting point will be about 2000, so in reality not far from where you are now.

I don't think you need to do too much other than what you are doing really. You definitely seem to be heading in the right direction. I'm not surprised that you are finding difficulty getting to the 1,800 mark though now your diet is improving, especially if you are ramping up the protein levels and eating more fibrous veg / fruit given their higher satiety levels. In addition, your metabolism is probably a bit wonky if your diet hasn't been the greatest in the past.

Personally, given your high exercise frequency there is a possibility that you may overreach (which is the beginning of overtraining.) Watch your strength levels and how you feel generally. If you feel like crap I would par down the cardio a little.

Your goal is fat loss and muscle preservation (and hopefully a little growth) I presume. That involves work smarter and more efficiently, not necessarily harder. Recovery capacity is just as important as training capacity.

Good luck dude.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    First thing I saw that I would get rid of... meal replacement shakes. You need real food. Supplements should be just that, supplemental.

his shakes are fine. maybe he's busy at lunch. people sometimes don't have time to eat food at every meal

Jeep
    you seem to be doing pretty well to me. you're eating a lot of the same foods so you're obviously eating things you like. you've also found a way to treat yourself to a burger or wings the odd time, but you kept it in moderation which is good.

you could try to up your protein a bit. boneless skinless chicken breast, tuna, or even some whey protein powder might help

good luck!
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    Im 5'9" right now I weight 195.0 I started at 225.5 .. I do try to eat a lot of protein that is one of the reasons for the meal replacement shakes they were full of protein... I am right now in my second phase of p90x and I run 2-4 miles on my cardio days...

If those are your stats then I think a good starting point will be about 2000, so in reality not far from where you are now.

I don't think you need to do too much other than what you are doing really. You definitely seem to be heading in the right direction. I'm not surprised that you are finding difficulty getting to the 1,800 mark though now your diet is improving, especially if you are ramping up the protein levels and eating more fibrous veg / fruit given their higher satiety levels. In addition, your metabolism is probably a bit wonky if your diet hasn't been the greatest in the past.

Personally, given your high exercise frequency there is a possibility that you may overreach (which is the beginning of overtraining.) Watch your strength levels and how you feel generally. If you feel like crap I would par down the cardio a little.

Your goal is fat loss and muscle preservation (and hopefully a little growth) I presume. That involves work smarter and more efficiently, not necessarily harder. Recovery capacity is just as important as training capacity.

Good luck dude.

yes pretty much on key I want to get rid of this fat and then add muscle.
  • jeepzilla
    Options
    First thing I saw that I would get rid of... meal replacement shakes. You need real food. Supplements should be just that, supplemental.

his shakes are fine. maybe he's busy at lunch. people sometimes don't have time to eat food at every meal

Jeep
    you seem to be doing pretty well to me. you're eating a lot of the same foods so you're obviously eating things you like. you've also found a way to treat yourself to a burger or wings the odd time, but you kept it in moderation which is good.

you could try to up your protein a bit. boneless skinless chicken breast, tuna, or even some whey protein powder might help

good luck!

the burger was after a late day I coach my sons baseball team and its hard to eat everything right at the moment..
    the wings I eat was I just hit the 30lbs loss mark and wanted to celebrate plus it was my birthday so I got a double whammy..
  • jeepzilla
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions, but I have 3 words for you that I live by: MEXICAN FIESTA NIGHT!!!!

If you have 1 stuffed burrito (or 2!) just think of the possibilities... but this is my own personal mexican fiesta that takes me forever to make from scratch, but its a good one. Homemade salsa/pico, homemade guacamole (load this on there for all that is good and holy within avacado land), black beans, and seasoned chicken. I usually saute some minced spinach w/ the meat to get even more iron. The ONLY slightly negative in there is the tortilla. Just think about all of the GOOD calories that are in that thing. For a full (big) meal, add a side of black beans and healthy rice of choice.

I wish every night were mexican fiesta night. :)

I love Mexican food stuff poblano pepper with chicken is tha bomb!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    As stated above there are a whole host of things that are healthy and will get you to those calories. I have no problem getting there myself. My problem is not eating too much.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Man, I have NO problems eating 2000 calories a day. More if I'm not careful. Add a couple oz's to my chicken serving (+100), a handful of almonds (+160), use olive oil (+120), some reduced fat or full fat cheese instead of fat free (+100), a hard boiled egg added to breakfast (+70), 5.3 oz yogurt instead of 4 oz (+30). That's nearly 600 calories right there and I've barely added any bulk to my diet.. Now, if I include pasta or rice and maybe some ice cream, I can jack that up to 2500 in the blink of an eye.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    This might help understand why even if your body does not seem hungry you might want to ignore it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma?page=2#posts-3146047
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Man, I have NO problems eating 2000 calories a day. More if I'm not careful. Add a couple oz's to my chicken serving (+100), a handful of almonds (+160), use olive oil (+120), some reduced fat or full fat cheese instead of fat free (+100), a hard boiled egg added to breakfast (+70), 5.3 oz yogurt instead of 4 oz (+30). That's nearly 600 calories right there and I've barely added any bulk to my diet.. Now, if I include pasta or rice and maybe some ice cream, I can jack that up to 2500 in the blink of an eye.

Tell me about it. I could do 3k clean. I bulked for 2 months and did 4k, mostly clean, but sometimes at 4am when McDonalds is the only option available and you need another 500 cals or your muscles won't get the fuel they need for growth? You get the darn McNuggets! ;)