Does Drinking Lots Of Water Really Help You Lose Weight?

pod35
pod35 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I never drink the amount of water i'm supposed to. In fact I probably don't drink enough. Does drinking water really help when you are on a calorie controlled diet?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Yes.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Yes, especially when u are on a calorie controlled diet. Thats because it acts as a filler when you think you are hungry. Plus if you only drink water you can save you calories for actual food.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    I credit many variables for my weight loss. Drinking lots of cold water is one of them.
  • Yes, especially when u are on a calorie controlled diet. Thats because it acts as a filler when you think you are hungry. Plus if you only drink water you can save you calories for actual food.

Yes, i agree. i refuse to use my calories on drinks:)
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    it helps me get and stay full. i usually drink a 16.9 oz bottle right before i eat and another 16.9 oz bottle as im eating my mean. it helps me get full quicker and i stay full longer.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I find that when I drink lots of water(or at least the minimal 8 glasses a day) I'm not as bloated, my skin looks better and I have more energy.
    I'm also not as hungry because most of the time its not hunger, but my body saying I need water!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    I am possibly making this up because I don't really know, but I think that added water consumption helps to keep your body at an optimal level of hydration and flushes out excess sodium that can lead to water retention. I always feel better on weigh-in days if I have had lots of water running through my body all day.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    YES YES YES! People are made up of water, women esp hold on to it, we are made up of more than men. /but drink as much as you can as often as you can. your body will loose water its holding onto so much since your not drinking it. also, reduce salt (not get rid of) it makes you hold water.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    It has other benefits too. I have far fewer headaches since I increased my water intake.
    I've found that it becomes easier with time too.
    At first I struggled to drink 9 glasses a day. Now I normally manage 15+
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    I am possibly making this up because I don't really know, but I think that added water consumption helps to keep your body at an optimal level of hydration and flushes out excess sodium that can lead to water retention. I always feel better on weigh-in days if I have had lots of water running through my body all day.

This is correct!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member

You're not making it up. Water helps to rid your body of toxins and is necessary to maintain a healthy body.

In response to the original post, do you have to drink water to lose weight? No. Does it help? Absolutely.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    It also just helps flush out your system and keep you hydrated.

In my case, when I drink all of the water, I shed pounds a lot faster than when I don't. I know others who have found the same to be true for them. I know it's hard to do at first, but after a while, I have found myself drinking even more than the basic 8 at times because I just plain get THIRSTY, you know?

So yes, it's part of the whole program and it really does help! :smile:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Drinking lots of water also helps you flush water weight from your body. The more water you drink, the less water your body will hold on to. It helps prevent/relieve bloating as is especially helpful if you eat too much sodium.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member

Agree 100%
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I never drink the amount of water i'm supposed to. In fact I probably don't drink enough. Does drinking water really help when you are on a calorie controlled diet?

A more important question to ask is - is drinking water necessary to really be healthy? The answer to that is *YES*. Don't drink water because it helps you with weight loss (though it does) - drink water because your body NEEDS it to work properly.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Im just going to second what everyone one else has said.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    I've also noticed that I get far fewer leg/foot/toe cramps when I drink lots of water.
  • baderis07
    baderis07 Posts: 35
    I don't know where I read this, but I also read that drinking cold water forces your body to work harder to stay warm and at the proper internal temperature and that the working harder part in fact helps burn calories. Then again that may not be true as I don't remember the source.
This discussion has been closed.