High Protein Diet and Constipation - I know TMI

Options
Ok this is a TMI post but I need advice. So I've notice a big different in my bathroom habits since I started consuming more protein (primarily protein shakes). Is anyone else having this issue and if so, how are you overcoming it. I eat way more protein than I have in the past but I am also drinking a lot of water and eat way more fruits in vegetables. Only issue is I feel weighed down with the back up in my system. I think this is also having a negative affect on my weight loss.

Should I lay off of the protein shakes. Is there something I can take to get my system moving again. A healthy person is suppose to go after every big meal but now I'm barley going in a day. I don't like this feeling. Any thoughts???

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Anytime you up your protein you must add fiber. Benefiber powder and sugar free chews are easy, no taste and work great. At least two-three times a day to help keep you regular.

Better to add fiber than lower protein.

Good Luck!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cut the shakes out. They clearly don't work for your system and in your case it's just extra stuff you can get from whole foods. Your body does not seem to like the shakes (and if they are filled with chemicals you're better off without them).
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a lot of high protein......increase your water by twice.....that's one way to prevent the constipation......for every other kind of drink, drink at least one to two glasses of water.................
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    try Metamucil fiber caplets. you can take two a couple times a day and withing a couple days you will be straightened out..
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i think your body takes time to adjust a bit

I also add beets, plums and almonds b/c they're are great for digestion

Also, make sure you're eating enough fat (good fats obviously :) )
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Ya ever since I up'd my protein i've noticed ive been constipated too! Try taking a teaspoon of Psyllium husk that you can get at your local health food store. I started off last week with just a teaspoon and now i've moved it up to a tablespoon.

It's great to help you be regular, helps with cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc etc. Try it out!
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did an extremely high protein low carb diet about a year ago and it was very hard! I found that i only...went.... once a week! i was under supervision by my doctors and they said it was "normal" but after stopping that diet I definitely will not go back! Try metimucil powder. I find that instead, a high fiber diet works best for me and weight loss. Its also much better for your heart.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    Another really good source of fiber I like is Fiber One bars. They come in several yummy flavors and they have more fiber than Benefiber. I did the Benefiber route and for me it just made me really gassy. There are several foods out there that are higher in fiber than the supplements.
  • cheryldeloach
    Options
    I had the same problem and then I switched to 15grams of sugar and 6 servings of carbs a day and now I am VERY regular and losing about 5 pounds a week.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Add fiber to your diet. Benefiber is tasteless.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1 protein shake a day for months but just recently shifted my diet to high protein, low carb and I'm noticing a difference as well.
    How long has this been going on? It sounds like you are doing all the right things-fruits & veggies, lots of water. Maybe your body just needs time to adjust? How is your fiber intake?
  • JackieSkoglund
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. You have to add fiber. I started eatting the fiber one yogurt with breakfast and it helped a lot. You can always mix that in your shake. Benefiber drink powder is not bad either... not sure if you want to try mixing that into you protein shake... Good luck!!!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I use benefiber every few days and it really helps! :)
  • Smurph241
    Smurph241 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hiya,

I cannot answer in regards to the high protein, but I do tend to suffer with the not as regular as I should be syndrome!!

I add some bran to my porridge, or even in my bolgnese!! I also take a glass of california Prune juice a day. Now it isnt pleasant and is high in sugars so I brush my teeth afterwards!!

It has helped me be more regular. If in doubt seek medical assistance to be safe.

Good luck with this

regards S
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    A healthy person is suppose to go after every big meal but now I'm barley going in a day.

Really? I think it's pretty normal to poop once a day, not after every meal.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work, but you could add flax seed to your protein shakes? they're supposed to keep you regular....
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to add some benefiber or phsyllium husk (I believe it is). This should get you going. :wink:
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Increase your veggie/fruit intake for more fiber (particularly greens, apple, raspberries, beans. ) . Non veggie food high is fiber is popcorn (try the 94% ff).
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has said "add fiber", and I second that.

I also want to add, however, that you would be doing yourself a huge favor by really ratcheting back the enormous variety of foods you eat on a weekly basis. Checking your Diary out shows dozens of different foods in all sorts of different configurations (aka recipes). Try picking the same 10 things and eating them at a regular schedule over the course of a few weeks. As an example I eat chicken, cheese, lettuce, beans, eggs, peanut butter, mayo, bacon, and olive oil. Same 9 things in different recipes, not all 9 once in the blender or anything but maybe 4 combined for one meal, 3 for another, a different 4 for another, etc.

Hit your targets every day, get enough fiber - roughly 15g per 1,000 cals, drink roughly half a gallon of water a day, and things will work themselves out.

If you are getting about 30g of fiber daily and still having issues with constipation, you should consult a nutrition professional.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply. I have increased my fiber, fruits veggies and water. I workout like 4-5x a week. I'm at a loss. Does anyone take digestive enzymes on a regular basis? The protein shake I have is high fiber too.

Thanks again for any suggestions.