How long to take a break before starting a new program!?

Options
Hey All,

So, today is my final day of P90X...I just ordered my insanity, but my question is, how long should you wait, before starting another workout regime!?

Thanks,

Dara

Replies

• jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    This is a good question because I'm starting on my final 30 days of P90X.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    You don't need to wait at all as long as you feel good and feel like you were still seeing results. You should always take rest days off throughout your workouts but there is no need to take significant time off between switching things up. Hope this helps :) Good luck!!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

So, today is my final day of P90X...I just ordered my insanity, but my question is, how long should you wait, before starting another workout regime!?

Thanks,

Dara

Insanity is WAY intense....I hope you like it....
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No need to wait at all.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    No need to wait at all.

I wish that was the case, but I just ordered INSANITY today, so, now, I gotta wait until that comes! I'm not too happy bout that!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Like above poster I don't think a long break is necessary as long as you've been taking rest days all along yet on the other hand I have read a week off does your body a lot of good as far as making sure muscles are fully repaired and I think it would be good for the mind as well. I think you should do what you're comfortable with but probably no longer than a week off! Good luck!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No need to wait at all.

I wish that was the case, but I just ordered INSANITY today, so, now, I gotta wait until that comes! I'm not too happy bout that!

Just do your favorite elements from P90X until it arrives.
  • jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    You don't need to wait at all as long as you feel good and feel like you were still seeing results. You should always take rest days off throughout your workouts but there is no need to take significant time off between switching things up. Hope this helps :) Good luck!!

Thanks!
  • LittleD311
    Options
    Im feeling great, been taking my rest days, well, maybe not, since i would work out on my days off! LOL....

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I usually do a free for all for a week and then go into the next program.
  • LittleD311
    Options
    I usually do a free for all for a week and then go into the next program.

Thanks Elaine! I'm gonna try to maybe do some on demand work outs, or my 30 day shred!!!!!
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    No matter what type of workout you are doing, it is always recommended to take 1 to 2 weeks off to recuperate. I think the older you are this comes into play more whereas the younger you are the less time you probably need. I would suggest going by how you feel. Reward yourself a week off and then get back at it right away. Too many of us have quit exercising because TOO MUCH time off; just don't get to that point.
  • LittleD311
    Options
    No matter what type of workout you are doing, it is always recommended to take 1 to 2 weeks off to recuperate. I think the older you are this comes into play more whereas the younger you are the less time you probably need. I would suggest going by how you feel. Reward yourself a week off and then get back at it right away. Too many of us have quit exercising because TOO MUCH time off; just don't get to that point.

good point!!!! =)
    Im feeling great, and i know if i take a few days off im going to feel so quilty about it!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    When designing programs, I've been taught to do 1-2 weeks between mesocycles to allow the body to rest and recover before starting hard again. So, since P90X is a long mesocycle, I'd recommend 2 weeks of active recovery. Not saying don't workout, but make it lighter and more "fun" stuff then exercise.
  • LittleD311
    Options
    When designing programs, I've been taught to do 1-2 weeks between mesocycles to allow the body to rest and recover before starting hard again. So, since P90X is a long mesocycle, I'd recommend 2 weeks of active recovery. Not saying don't workout, but make it lighter and more "fun" stuff then exercise.

Thanks, great info!!!!!