Dr.'s scale had me 5lbs. heavier?!

Options
I had a doctor's appointment this morning and I almost fell off the scale when she read 162lbs! How can I be 5 lbs. heavier on their scale? I am feeling a bit discouraged and frustrated that maybe I'm not losing as much as I thought. :(

Is anyone else also heavier when weighed at the doctor's office?

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Don't let it freak you out - all scales can read a bit different. Have you been using the same scales at home this whole time?
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well first when you weigh yourself at home do you do it with clothes on or off, I do it with clothes off and first thing in the morning, so when I go to the doctors its always a few lbs higher, i have clothes on etc.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't let them weigh me at the doctor's office. I'm extremely sensitive about what scale I use and under what conditions, and my doctor's scale meets NONE of my criteria. I just smile and say, "I'll tell you what I weigh." They're fine with that. (Mostly. Some get a bit huffy but you know what? I'm not going to sacrifice my self-image for them. It's my right to NOT be weighed on their scale.)
  • MadameRichards
    Options
    I usually weigh myself in the morning with nothing on, as well. I guess I didn't think that maybe it's could be my clothes and shoes adding to the weight. I have been using the same scaled at home from the beginning.
  • curvybird75
    Options
    Don't fret about those scales, just stick to your own for consistent weight measurement - plus I went to my Dr last week and I was 10lb lighter!!!!! I ended up going on a PUBLIC SCALE machine just to check which were accurate (the humilation), unfortunately mine where!!!! So I resisted the temptation to use that as my correct weight when I joined here, but it was hard LOL...
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have always been 5-7 lbs heavier on the doctor's scale, don't let it freak you out. The only thing that matters is weighing yourself on the same scale every time so you get an accurate estimate of your loss.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it. Your weight can actually vary throughout the day. I can start the day at 106 and end it at 109.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    its just your clothing...just ask them what you weighed on your previous visit and compare that..thats what i do
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I wouldn't worry over your Dr's scale - there are so many factors as to why there would be a 5lb variance - especially with clothes, water, etc. As long as you use the same scale consistently, you'll have an accurate measurement of your progress.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself in the morning with nothing on, as well. I guess I didn't think that maybe it's could be my clothes and shoes adding to the weight. I have been using the same scaled at home from the beginning.

If you've been weighing on the same scale, under the same or similar conditions from the beginning, then you have lost all 20 of those pounds - Dr's scales be damned :wink:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The scale you use the most is the one you should worry about. Not all scales are calibrated the same way. And yes, if you weigh yourself sans clothing, daily fluctuation + attire might have somewhat of an impact on it. Don't trip.
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    happens to me everytime...i don't worry about it though:)