Want a Bike for My Birthday

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
And I could use a little input! I had a mountain bike but my daughter "acquired" it when she outgrew her bike. This was a couple of years ago when our youngest was too young for a family bike ride without buying a trailer so I've just not gotten around to replacing mine.

But my birthday is in three weeks and I REALLY want a bike. I've got kids old enough to baby sit or go with me now and we live near several great trails. Not to mention our neighborhood borders a national forest which also has oodles of great trails.

Initially I was thinking about just getting something that will work on the paved trails around but since I do live by such great mountain trails I'm now thinking I might want another mountain bike. I don't have tons of money so I'm thinking along the lines of what I can get at the local big box stores (ToysRus, Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc). I need something that isn't going to kill my butt (although I can buy a seat and swap it out if necessary).

Are the bikes that have you more upright more comfortable than the ones that have you leaning over the handle bars? Aluminum frame? Shocks? Big wheels? Little wheels? Spot for stuff to be strapped down? I'm overwhelmed with choices and since I haven't ridden seriously in a very long time I could use a little input on what you feel are the MOST desired features in a bike that will be ridden on either a well maintained mountain trail (I'm a weeny) or on nicely paved bike paths. What am I looking for?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want a hybrid - they are mountain bike frames with a few modifications to be more comfortable and are the best bet for going back and forth between different kinds of trails.

As I recently had people talk me down from purchasing a box store bike, I was reminded that you get what you pay for. I had a Target bike for about four months when I first had to take it in to get the bike shop.

You would be much better off getting a used top end bike. Around here, the bike shops usually carry used bikes that they have thoroughly checked out for less than similar bikes on Craig's List.

Personally, my first stop is to see if my boyfriend's extra bike has a small enough frame for me, so that I can do some modifications myself, the first being to get a comfy seat!

Happy Birthday!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Ha,my daughter "acquired" my mountain bike too, although I got it way back before I was married. My husband got me a Christmas gift a couple years ago of a Schwinn bike at Walmart, with the higher type handle bars and the bigger type seat and it's SO much better than leaning down on those mountain bike handles. It has gears and all that like a mountain bike but is a cruiser bike style. Of course the seat still is a bit hard to sit on for long rides but better than the skinny little one on my old bike. I ride on rails to trails and on more rugged trails and it works just fine. Hope you get a great bike for your birthday! :wink:
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    if you are riding on really well maintianed trails or "roads" dont invest in shocks- I have had my mountain bike for over 15 years without shocks and ride it on some pretty unmaintained trails and so far so good. Get a GOOD seat- best thing you can do for your self. And with bikes you really do get what you pay for- if you plan on this bike for a long time- get the best you can afford- you will be much happier. The lighter the frame-usually means $$$$, but if you are not racing or planning on carrying it or again on really rough terrain, you probably dont need a super light bike. Go to a bike store and test ride some to get the idea of what you like before you purchase anything. Also best investment--- good patch kit- portable pump!!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I just got one from WalMart for $100. I am putting my old seat on the new bike, which was $20. Well worth it. I do have a handlebar bag on my bike which really comes in handy. I do not know how much you want to take along but they also have seat bags, etc. I think the standard mountain bike from one of the box stores is a good starter bike. I would 1st go to a higher end store & have them recommend the frame size though before buying one from a box store. I found out I was riding a bike that was too small for me.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I got about a 400 dollar bke at yard sale for 40 or 60 dollars, have lost from 295 to 220 right now an I am traveling have bike with me and rideing hour or so a day in Denver area, this a a bike friendly area with lot of trails,, am haveing a ball.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Also, my old $100 KMart bike was 8 years old & my husbands $100 bike is 10 & still going strong. Mine got replaced because the shifter cable rusted from sitting outside all the time. Otherwise, I would have not gotten a new one.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also ride, but not to the extent you will. Here are the things I found when I did research online:
    1) Go with aluminum. The lighter weight will be easier to manage on the trails, and also to put on and take off the rack.
    2) A hybrid would probably be the best. The "cruisers" are not meant for serious riders, and are generally more useful on a bike path or neighborhoods.
    3) Spend the money and get a decent bike. If you know you are going to definitely ride, you should be able to get a good bike for $400 - $500. Getting a bike out of the box is exactly what you will get! But you don't need to go "Lance armstrong" and get a $2000 bike either. I would recommend going to a couple of good bike stores that have some knowledgebale folks working and get their recommendations. If they are good, they will give you what you want. They should not try to sell you a 28 speed bike if you are going to ride a bike path, etc... You know what I mean. When you get a bike at a specialty shop, they will measure you and fit you for what is best.

Personally, I have a man's bike and this is supposed to be better balanced, but if I would get another one, I would get a woman's bike. Soemthing about that bar makes me nervous getting on and off - but then I am not too coordinated sometimes!
    Good luck - hope you love biking as much as I do! :bigsmile:
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am a bicycle commuter and I also use my bike for running errands and even grocery shopping. We have 6 bikes in our family, including one mountain bike, one cruiser, one up-right city bike and a couple of hybrids. I have to say the upright bike is fun and I love it for kicking around the city. As soon as I get out of the city and start hitting some hills or go into a strong head wind... it starts to hurt my lower back. I love a hybrid and that is my bike of choice for most things. I find that leaning slightly forward helps when you have to pedal hard.

Keep in mind if you buy a bike from Target or Walmart, it will probably need to be taken to a bike shop for adjustments and even repairs at some point. You also do not get to test ride it. You should at least visit a bike shop and test drive a few bikes. See if they have any used bikes or if they can work with your budget. If you buy from them, you often get free adjustments for the life of the bike and even get free repairs for at least a year.

I guess the bottom line is how much time do you want to ride? If you are looking at occasional rides on weekends, I would probably start at a box store. If you plan on spending some serious time on your bike, I would have to say invest a little more and go to a bike shop.

Let us know what you decide! Good Luck!
  • knittnponder
    Options
    Hmmm...good things to think about. I never thought about going to a bike shop and seeing if they have any used ones! I know there are several around here so I'm thinking a field trip is in order. I've looked on craigslist a little bit but since I really don't know much about higher end bikes I unsure about buying there. I don't know what to look for as far as if it's been treated well or not as well as pricing. If I go the CL route I think I need to do more homework. I'm not sure how much riding i'll actually get to do but this morning I realized I don't need to take ANY of these people with me! I have two babysitter aged kids and can grab my bike, iPod and go by myself! Why did I never realize this before now?! [Slaps head]
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My friends have had great experience with BikesDirect, both the serious racer friends, and the hybrid cruiser riders.
    This is what I want for my bday. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_express8.htm :happy:
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop and get fitted. There are different frame sizes and they will fit you for a bike that will be a joy to ride. Tell them what your price range is, but keep in mind a decent hybrid/mountain bike starts at around $250-$300. Most bike shops have bikes they took in on consignment or trade they sell at a lower price too.

My other advice: Wear a helmet!! Make sure it is on properly. A simple bump on the head can be fatal.
  • knittnponder
    Options
    My friends have had great experience with BikesDirect, both the serious racer friends, and the hybrid cruiser riders.
    This is what I want for my bday. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_express8.htm :happy:

Ooh! Pretty! I hope you get it!

CraftyLatvian: Thanks for your input. :) We have four kids who we've always stressed the importance of safety too, including helmet wearing and we try not to be hypocrites so a helmet is a must! Thanks for caring enough to point it out though. :)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Hmmm...good things to think about. I never thought about going to a bike shop and seeing if they have any used ones! I know there are several around here so I'm thinking a field trip is in order. I've looked on craigslist a little bit but since I really don't know much about higher end bikes I unsure about buying there. I don't know what to look for as far as if it's been treated well or not as well as pricing. If I go the CL route I think I need to do more homework. I'm not sure how much riding i'll actually get to do but this morning I realized I don't need to take ANY of these people with me! I have two babysitter aged kids and can grab my bike, iPod and go by myself! Why did I never realize this before now?! [Slaps head]

Another thought on going to the bike shops is checking to see if they have layaway. Alot of them tend to have 60-90 day plans (which is how I bought my last bike). They can be very knowledgeable and helpful in choosing the right bike for what you want to use it for. Good luck and happy riding!!