Runners- Indoors or Out?

Options
Whats the big difference from ruinning on a treadmill to running outdoors? Ive been training for a 5k inside on a treadmill. I love the air conditioning...I love that water and restrooms are nearby. I can watch tv while I run. I like that it measures my pace and heart rate . I love that a defibulator is on the wall if I tip over. So what am I in for -outdoors?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    LOL, I would consider myself a major 'sissy lala' when it comes to running. I like running on the treadmill at this one particular gym by my job. Each treadmill has it's own fans and individual TV. I can run for miles on that thing. Outside is a different beast. You aren't really a strong runner until you do it outside though. Running @ 1-2 incline on the treadmill will prep you for outside.
  • graymojo
    graymojo Posts: 8
    Options
    hills, sunshine, scenery, probably heat. It's fun though.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Wind. Hills. Dogs. :-) I love the sunshine and freshness when outside. And I would think it would better help get you ready for your race under more natural conditions. Basically I do indoors when I can't do outdoors which is like 6 months a year here. Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Get off the dreadmill and get outside (unless your race is inside on the 'mill).

Outside is a totally different (and better) deal. Give it a try and report back to us!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Fresh air, natural scenery that changes, and the uneven terrain will work different muscles and give you a more natural workout.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can only run inside on the treadmill (and only on certain treadmills). I've tried running outside and it is waaay too hard on my back since the concrete doesn't "give" the way a treadmill's base will. I think if you're training for a race that will be outside -- you NEED to run outside. But, if you're like me and simply use running as cardio -- running inside only is fine. :)
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    You might get shin splints when you start running outside. The treadmill is softer than the ground. The other thing that I notice is that you have to push yourself more outdoors, it's easier to monitor speed on the treadmill.... BUT it is much nicer to run outdoors... in my opinion anyway!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors is a great and exhilarating experience! You can loose yourself in nature! Caution: If you are used to running on a treadmill it's not as easy outside.. you have the weather elements to take into account (wind blowing against you), running terrain may not be the best depending on which route you take (watch for rocks, cracks, sudden drops, even pot holes).. a few things to watch for but overall a better experience in my book in terms of a mental release or training... now for just a good workout with the ability to pace myself better.. indoors on a treadmill.. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference!
  • muggle311
    muggle311 Posts: 14
    Options
    Outdoors is different as I do both. The air conditioning is you running against the air outside very different but nice.
    Get a Garmin forerunner with a chest strap you can see your pace and your heart rate they will definitely be different outside as you do not get the bit of extra push as the treadmill it is all you. Find a great trail or a route in a city with restrooms on the route and carry your water. You can get an iPod I love mine it keeps me going and you won't miss the tv as you have the wide open spaces.
    When you are in a race the water,the restrooms, the medics are all there for you. Just get out and take a walk one day you will see the difference and if you are like me will love both worlds.
    Have fun and just enjoy the journey. I love my Garmin best investment ever along with my Polar Heart Rate monitor. But the Garmin is definitely for outside with chest strap.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Yep, I agree with you, running inside is much more comfortable but if you have a 5K outside you might struggle. I did when I trained like that for my first one. Even if you put the incline up as some people say you should to simulate outside running, it's not the same. I'd say at least once or twice a week, you have to or it will be tough. Good luck :)
  • marathonmommy0205
    Options
    The big difference is the weather and convience of the restroom! I have ran lots of 5k and half marathon! when your running outside you get the experience of the weather you have during a race expecially if it's HOT!!! It can be all bad for you and slow you down tremendously! Also when your running a 5k there really isn't any restrooms that closeso it might make it hard for you to holding it! Besides personally I like t run a scenic route instead of looking at the same thing all the time.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well... there are pluses and minuses to outdoor running but if you are planning on ever doing a race outdoors, you may want to try it a few times.
    My favorite thing about running outside is being able to let my mind wander and look at what's going on around me. Now this is much better/ easier if you're running on a path in a park and I personally hate running on sidewalks and roads b/c I HAVE to pay attention. I can't do this on a treadmill b/c I'm not very coordinated and if I'm not looking strait ahead, I tend to list.
    All preferences aside though, your time will most likely be slower outside vs. in. I've heard you should put the treadmill on at least a 2.0 incline to simulate outdoor running conditions. My time varies btw an 8 and a half minute mile indoors to about a 9 and a half outdoors. This isn't always the case (depending on if I'm having a good day or bad day in general), but it's a good comparison to start w/.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i do both. weekends when i can i run outside on the trails at a lake in our town. and lemme tell u... my booty HURTS for days after. its totally different. u got hills and turns and different muscles working that the treadmill just doesnt have. even when i up the incline on a treadmill, NOTHING can prepare me for the hill by the dam! its a beast! plus, its so much prettier to run outside. thats just my opinion tho.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Its more comfortable inside for obvious reasons that have been stated, but running inside on a treadmill has one less challenge...you don't have to pace yourself, the treadmill does it for you.

One of the most difficult transitions of running outside is getting winded because I started creeping up in speed, on the tread mill that never happens since the pace is programmed in.

If you're going to be running a 5K its best to be aware of that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill, then moved outside once the weather broke and I started doing races, and now I can't STAND the treadmill. I can't find my groove on it anymore. I just get overheated, oversweaty, distracted, annoyed, uncomfortable.

Outside, I can go forever. Well, about six miles, anyway. The air is moving and fresh. I still get sweaty, but it's not pouring off me like inside. I have to pay attention to where I'm placing my feet, so my mind doesn't wander and get distracted. I just bop along to the music, and lose track of time, whereas on the 'mill, I'm watching every second tick by. I can set my own pace and go faster when I want, slower when I want, without adjusting buttons. There's no one yapping next to me on a cellphone, or guy with hairy plumber's crack doing weights in front of me. Ewwww.

I tried running on the treadmill again last week, after a brief hiatus from the gym. I had to stop after 10 minutes (a mile) because I was too sweaty, bored and annoyed. I eventually did intervals to get up to 30 minutes (3 miles), but it was torture and booooooring. On the other hand, today I mapped out a hilly 3.5 mile course on mapmyrun.com, and was amazed when I found myself already at my halfway point, where I had to turn around. I ended up taking a long detour on the way home just because I was enjoying the run so much!
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have only run on a treadmill and am trying to pluck up the courage to run outside.

I have my route planned. I have to drive to it but it is 5.3km circular route around a dam so no traffic. I run 4.4km as a warm up on the treadmill so hope I can manage a little extra if I am not doing anything else. I also live in a very hilly area which is why I am driving to the dam.

My new trainers arrive tomorrow so I want to do a normal run for me in them first and then I am going to risk it.
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    I would definetely try to run outside a few times before a race. It is a lot different outside than on the treadmill. I much prefer running outside though... even it it can be a little more difficult as the terrain always changes. I just like the fact that when I am running, I am actually "getting somewhere". :) Love that I can see the progress. Have fun!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OUT!! I despise treadmills. stuck in 1 spot, no scenery. I think the whole point of running is to goooo somewhere:smile:
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep running outdoors is definitely a different animal than running indoors. I HATE the scenery of running indoors BUT I LOVE the treadmill. Much better on my knees and I can run much longer and get a groove. Running outdoors I can't keep pace and I end up running faster than I want and I end up getting a cramp within the first few minutes. I eventually want to run outside but it will definitely have to be after I drop a few more pounds. Im carrying too much on my frame to run on the pavement.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    nothing beats running outside