Do you count every calorie?

Options
fredd500
fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
I've recently added some friends to MFP. I've learned this journey cannot be taken alone and I figure friends will help. I see that I can see others food diaries and one person has counted all of their calories including 16 for 30ml of skimmed milk added to coffee. I don't but should I?

I have asked MFP to give me a 1000 calorie a day deficit (2lb's per week). I have trouble eating that (1700 cals per day), but there are some things I just generally don't count, I don't count milk in coffee (1pt generally lasts me about 10 days), I don't count all the calories in veg and salad that I eat (unless I know they are likely to be significant - things like peas, potatoes, etc).

Should I meticulously be tracking every calorie, should I save myself a few each day or should I just ignore it? Its early days and I know I am losing weight, but am I fooling myself? Is my weight loss water and will I just find I stay the same next week?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated and if you want to add me as a friend, I am happy to accept - I am keen to build up a support network.

Many thanks
Chris

Replies

• Sarawoods
    Sarawoods Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I add every thing down to just one jelly bean stolen from an easter basket, I dunno if Im doing it right but Ive lost some weight :D Also feel free to add me if you wanna look at my diary ^_^
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    Even though they seem like small amounts they do add up at the end of the day. Counting your veggies also keeps track of the nutrition from them so that is just as important.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I count everything. I take a Halls Vitamin C drop every day. It is 15 calories and I count it. If I have a 5 Hour Energy, which is 4 calories, I count it. If I have something I have to guesstimate the calories I guesstimate on the HIGH end. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but what is the point of using this site if you aren't going to use it properly?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes, if it goes in your mouth you should log it. Even low calorie veggies add up if you eat enough of them. You may find you are closer to your daily goal than you think if you truly log everything.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    personally i log everything unless i know it insignificant - a piece of lettuce on my sandwich, for instance. otherwise, how do you really know how much you are eating? 1/2 cup of skim milk is 80 calorie, a tbsp of butter is 100, and a teaspoon of sugar is 15.. add that up and it's almost 200 calories in something that you NORMALLY wouldn't think about.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    With things like Milk and cream, I think that it might be a good idea to count it.
    They are rather calorie high and it may not seem like a lot right now, but later in the week you may be surprised how those little bits add up.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I count calories for things like milk/creamer that I add to my coffee, but not gum that I chew, or vitamins or calcium chews. I'm not as meticulous as I probably could/should be, but I also don't want to obsess over it. I think it's all about finding a balance that works for you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I'm being VERY good about logging, I log EVERYTHING I eat or drink. Every single thing. Even the coffee I drink or the sugar free energy drinks. EVERYTHING. I count out serving sizes of baked chips or whatever. I think if you don't log everything, you COULD be consuming far more calories than you're aware of simply by the little things (2 cups of coffee is 5 calories, a sugar free energy drink is 10 calories -- there's 15 calories right there that wouldn't be accounted for if I didn't log them). It you bite it (or drink it), write it.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It helps to count as closely as humanly possible. There's enough margin of error as it is just from being human or label/database inaccuracies. But if there are certain things you don't count every single day, at least you're underlogging by a consistent amount every day.
  • heathernadam
    heathernadam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to count every calorie because when I get to the end of the day, and I have a couple hundred left over calories (like from excercise or something), I want to know that when it tells me what my weight will be in 5 weeks, that it's actually accurate. You might be surprised how many uncounted little calories add up! Some days my little piddly should I count those calories add up to over 100 calories!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I add everything even if its just a bite
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. I don't count things like soy sauce, a piece of the children's pasta I am tasting to see if it's done, finishing off an apple slice. Then again, I also don't log my normal everyday walking around, only specific exercise, so it probably balances out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The only things I don't count is gum and the 5-calories-each drink mixes I use (I only have one or two a day at the most). It's important to realize that calories can really add up - a little here, a little there and the next thing you know, you've had 300 more than you realize!

A note about vegetables - while they're generally low-cal, they DO add up. I had celery, brussel sprouts, cucumber and some cherry tomatoes in my lunch and those added up to over 100 calories! It's not just peas and potato-type veggies that you need to track.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I do, but everyone's different.

I have 20 pounds to lose and I'm finding it really really hard to shed. People with more weight to lose who aren't so crazy about tracking every calorie may still lose weight because they have more of it to lose. It really comes down to what works for you. I didn't always track every calorie, but I've found that the weight doesn't come off as quickly as I'd like it to unless I do.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's important to log everything, in my opinion. I log everything except spices or marinades unless they have calories and/or sodium/sugar.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I count everything except water, green/black/white tea, and coffee [black].

It's not something you have to absolutely do, but being lax about it is usually why people end up on MFP in the first place. As already stated, little things do add up. Vegetables still have calories in them. Milk is calorie-dense, so why you wouldn't count it, I'm not sure. But it's totally up to you. If you say you're having trouble with meeting your calorie goal [at your current method of counting], try counting them. See if it adds up to meet your goal.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i count everything as well.
    i have a digital scale... so i weigh everything out and log it as soon as possible.
    i feel if i don't count everything i am cheating because every calorie adds up!!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Like the other posters, I count everything that I eat. It's the "forgetful eating" that gets me. Like others have said, those little calories (and carbs and sodium, etc.) add up. I also like to track my sodium (that crap is in everything!) and make sure I'm getting enough potassium, so yes, log those calories! However, since you have such a large calorie deficit, not logging to the exact calorie will not put the kibosh on your weight loss.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I add just about everything. I added the teaspoon of grated cheese I had on my dinner last night but I do NOT add the 1/2 cup of milk I had in my cereal because I don't drink the leftover. Do what works for you!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything. I add the milk for my tea and if I have the tiniest bit of chocolate I add that.
    It all adds up and if you don't log the milk in your tea but you have 10 cups in a day then that's quite a bit of milk.

I feel better knowing EVERYTHING is logged in my diary.
    If I can't find the exact amount of something in the list (like lettuce for example) then I over estimate. Like if I have a few leaves of lettuce in a sandwich and all I can find is "1/2 cup lettuce" I add that. At least I know my calorie intake is the number or less rather than possibly being more.

On days when I don't know what the calorie intake is then I'm not that fussy but when I'm the one that's making the food then I log everything.