Can someone explain?

I am new here and I try to stay within my calories that I am supposed to intake. As I have been reading other posts I have seen people talk about needing to eat the calories you lose from exercise. Maybe I am missing something here, but how does that work? Shouldn't I leave those alone? That way they help burn off the fat that is already on my body? Sorry if this is something simple and I am just not getting it, but I thought I would just ask.

Replies

• I am new here and I try to stay within my calories that I am supposed to intake. As I have been reading other posts I have seen people talk about needing to eat the calories you lose from exercise. Maybe I am missing something here, but how does that work? Shouldn't I leave those alone? That way they help burn off the fat that is already on my body? Sorry if this is something simple and I am just not getting it, but I thought I would just ask.
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    I am new here and I try to stay within my calories that I am supposed to intake. As I have been reading other posts I have seen people talk about needing to eat the calories you lose from exercise. Maybe I am missing something here, but how does that work? Shouldn't I leave those alone? That way they help burn off the fat that is already on my body? Sorry if this is something simple and I am just not getting it, but I thought I would just ask.

mfp already should have your calories at a deficit from what you need to maintain weight down to what you need to lose your goal weight (check your goals). If you exercise and don't eat those calories, the deficit gets bigger and can rapidly get so big as to be unhealthy. From what I've read, it can actually cause you to stop losing weight. I try to always eat my exercise calories. :drinker:
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    A dude named Banks has an excellent post on here somewhere called "Eating Your Exercise Calories" or something like that. But, in a nutshell, MFP has already factored in your daily lifestyle. If you eat too few calories, your body basically goes into starvation mode and will burn muscle instead of fat. At least I think I have that correct, but I know the theory is correct. My brother once won a contest where he got a trainer and dietician for 3 months. Halfway through the dietician told him he wasn't eating enough. When he ate more (the right foods) he lost a ton of weight.