Aspartame...

Options
Colie912
Colie912 Posts: 17 Member
Hi Everyone! Has anyone heard anything about Aspartame? I been hearing bad things about it lately...anyone know any details?? Thanks! :)

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    if you have netflix you should watch "Sweet misery: a poisoned world" It is all about the negative affects aspertame has on the body and all the bad things it will do to you. You body was not meant to process unatural things. If you must have sugar stick with the real stuff. That stuff will kill you.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is known to make you crave sugary things and a few studies have linked to cancer. But I think the link to cancer was in rats that overdosed in it.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It supposedly turns to fermaldahide in the body
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Now, this isn't for everyone, but I find that Aspartame has a very negative effect on my digestion. I get terrible stomach aches if I consume too much of it. Some studies claim that it may be linked to cancer, diabetes or even weight GAIN. I try to stay away from it whenever possible. Then again, I feel the same way about corn syrup...
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its probably one of those things, how much of it before its harmful, I dont buy into all the hype, if you do enough research, you can find about anything can be bad for you.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Check out www.sweetpoison.com. I feel like total crap if I ingest it now. Every once in a while I will "indulge" in a diet coke and it makes me sick every time. Ask me why I still continue to do it?! LOL
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whoa! this topic is bound to be controversial. The bulk of studies deem this safe, but there are a couple of studies out there that say different ..... who do you believe?

Anyway, my .02 - are there times when can you substitute a more natural sweetener - say aguave nectar or steevia? Natural sweeteners would be preferential. Also are you using a lot of aspartame? If you need something "sweet" all the time - this can't be a good habit. I do drink a single diet soda everyday. ONE diet soda sometimes gets me over the craving.

I'm sure you'll be hearing more - from both camps.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    If you're looking for a 'sweetening' agent try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol and get the dental benefits along with the sweet.
  • Jill_Clemmons
    Options
    I try to use Stevia whenever possible.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

It does, but citrus fruits turn into larger quantities of formaldehyde than does aspartame.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    There are studies liking it to cancer. However, there are studies linking antiperspirant use and talking on a cell phone to cancer as well. Don't know about you, but I take everything I hear with a grain of salt. ;)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options

It does, but citrus fruits turn into larger quantities of formaldehyde than does aspartame.

Nice.