Paleo 'Diet' Your experiences and reviews

Options
Serenifly
Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
My friend send me a link to the site ... I gotta tell you that this image

PaleoPyramid.jpg

Is almost in tune with my current diet - Minus a few processed foods, and dairy ...

Just wondering if anyone has tried it, liked it, hated it, knew someone who did it. Seems like a way of living over a diet - but does it help in wieght loss?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I don't think that any diet that doesn't include whole grains could possibly be good for you...
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Eating less than what your body requires to stay at the same size is what makes you lose weight. For some that's high protein, for others (me) high fat, for others high carbs.

What matters is that you have a goal, you know the calorie restriction required on a daily basis to hit that goal, and you have the willpower to stick it out.

Dairy is fine, but I would dump the heavily processed foods no matter what diet you're on. Milk goes through a process but isn't a "processed food". Same with cheese, yogurt, etc. Culturing isn't "processing", i.e. adding all sorts of junk and crap fillers.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    It 100% helps with weight loss! When I first joined MFP, I was on the standard calorie restricted diet where you eat everything healthy in moderation (food pyramid junk). It left me climbing the walls for my next meal, over-exercising so I could eat more, and literally blacking out. The first week I switched to paleo was night and day! My constant cravings stopped, my energy went through the roof, my blood sugar stabilized so that I wasn't blacking out anymore, and I dropped 4 lbs my first week after a 1-2lb/month average loss on my previous diet. I follow the 80/20 principle- 80%of the time following and 20% not following, but that is mostly dairy cause I'm a dairy gal and a little bit of dark chocolate! Check out www.marksdailyapple.com for more good info. Here is an awesome thread to follow:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232749-palelo-support-group

Everyone on there is really nice, so ask them or ask me if you have more questions. For me, it is not a diet...it is my way of living for the rest of my life!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As a result of my food allergys I've had to remove all whole grains and dairy, so I eat like this and really enjoy it. I find myself craving less "bad" foods and really enjoying the ones I can eat. I have found that I also eat less b/c my optoins are limited.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm currently following a primal lifestyle... thinking about going zone just to help benefit my crossfit workouts. I can say I've effectively cut all grain from my diet, but the moment I do 'cross-over", my sugar cravings are crazy! We do have several groups on this site - you are welcome to come pick our brain http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232749-palelo-support-group & http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226494-no-grain-no-pain
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For the past week, I've cut out all grains and eaten mostly according to that pyramid, trying to eat at least 100g of protein per day. I haven't been on it long enough to attest to any major health changes, but one thing I've noticed is that even on a 1200 cal diet, I am full and NOT hungry between meals.

Also, the body does juuuuust fine without grains. There's nothing in whole grains that you can't get from another less-processed food source.
  • Serenifly
    Options
    this might be a really dumb question - but is Quionoi and Couscous grains? I don't know if I could survive without Qouinoi
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Actually Quinoa is a seed, so on the primal plan it is accepted. Some pure Paleo's will not. Couscous is wheat so that is not allowed.
  • Serenifly
    Options
    Actually Quinoa is a seed, so on the primal plan it is accepted. Some pure Paleo's will not. Couscous is wheat so that is not allowed.

If I can still have Quinoa then I'll live, couscous I can live without lol ... This might be worth trying, did anyone read the book ? Is it worth picking up the book or cookbook? Looking on Amazon seems to be a lot of options, but the cookbook has really low reviews. I'm guessing there is enough recipes online you can go through?
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Yes - everyday Paleo is highly reviewed and regarded. If you want to take a peak at a paleo cookbook - I have one in pdf I can email you. Just PM me your deets and I'll email. I'm not a crazy stalker either.:smokin:
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Not against anyone on the diet, but I love my kidneys too much.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

And you are basing that comment on what? Much of the discussion centered around this issue is based on a (since) ridiculed experiment that involved force feeding rabbits (a herbivore) quantities of protein--which resulted in rabbit kidney failure. Humans are omnivores, not herbivores, and thus have a kidney function to accommodate protein. In fact:

The Institute of Medicine DRI report concluded that there was "insufficient scientific evidence for recommendations of an upper limit of protein intake" ... citation: Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine: Macronutrient and Healthful Diets. In Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients). Washington, D.C. , The National Academies Press; 2002:609-696.

There is too much research to cite here about the widely disseminated fallacy of protein impairing or stressing kidney function. I'd recommend anyone making a claim about the implications of consuming fat or protein or carbohydrates, first learn the facts about human physiology.

Not intending to flame anyone or picking on you in particular ... just irks me that claims are made that we MUST or MUST NOT eat one thing or another based on Common Belief.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    Yes - everyday Paleo is highly reviewed and regarded. If you want to take a peak at a paleo cookbook - I have one in pdf I can email you. Just PM me your deets and I'll email. I'm not a crazy stalker either.:smokin:

Any chance you could send me that pdf too? I am on low carb low sugar and could use way more recipe's...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Came across this data; of interest to those who believe no *scientific* research has been done on the so-called paleolithic diet and lifestyle nutrition in general. Some good reading when you have time.

Excellent editorial about what is wrong with government's Dietary Guidelines:
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/12
    Nutrition & Metabolism 2009, 6:12
    Dietary Guidelines should reflect new understandings about adult protein needs

====================================

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/7/1/85
    Nutrition & Metabolism 2010, 7:85 (30 November 2010)
    Title:
    A paleolithic diet is more satiating per calorie than a mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischemic heart disease
    Conclusions
    A Paleolithic diet is more satiating per calorie than a Mediterranean-like diet.

====================

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/39
    Nutrition & Metabolism 2006, 3:39 (2 November 2006)
    Title:
    A Paleolithic diet confers higher insulin sensitivity, lower C-reactive protein and lower blood pressure than a cereal-based diet in domestic pigs
    Conclusion
    This study in domestic pigs suggests that a Paleolithic diet conferred higher insulin sensitivity, lower C-reactive protein and lower blood pressure when compared to a cereal based diet.

=============================

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    2005 Feb;81(2):341-54.
    Origins and evolution of the Western diet: health implications for the 21st century.
    Cordain L, Eaton SB, Sebastian A, Mann N, Lindeberg S, Watkins BA, O'Keefe JH, Brand-Miller J.
    SourceDepartment of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA. cordain@cahs.colostate.edu

Abstract
    There is growing awareness that the profound changes in the environment (eg, in diet and other lifestyle conditions) that began with the introduction of agriculture and animal husbandry approximately 10000 y ago occurred too recently on an evolutionary time scale for the human genome to adjust. In conjunction with this discordance between our ancient, genetically determined biology and the nutritional, cultural, and activity patterns of contemporary Western populations, many of the so-called diseases of civilization have emerged. In particular, food staples and food-processing procedures introduced during the Neolithic and Industrial Periods have fundamentally altered 7 crucial nutritional characteristics of ancestral hominin diets: 1) glycemic load, 2) fatty acid composition, 3) macronutrient composition, 4) micronutrient density, 5) acid-base balance, 6) sodium-potassium ratio, and 7) fiber content. The evolutionary collision of our ancient genome with the nutritional qualities of recently introduced foods may underlie many of the chronic diseases of Western civilization.

==========================

Diabetes 2004 Sep;53(9):2375-82.
    Effect of a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet on blood glucose control in people with type 2 diabetes.
    Gannon MC, Nuttall FQ.
    SourceMetabolic Research Laboratory (111G), VA Medical Center, One Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA. ganno004@umn.edu

Abstract
    There has been interest in the effect of various types and amounts of dietary carbohydrates and proteins on blood glucose. On the basis of our previous data, we designed a high-protein/low-carbohydrate, weight-maintaining, nonketogenic diet. Its effect on glucose control in people with untreated type 2 diabetes was determined. We refer to this as a low-biologically-available-glucose (LoBAG) diet. Eight men were studied using a randomized 5-week crossover design with a 5-week washout period. The carbohydrate:protein:fat ratio of the control diet was 55:15:30. The test diet ratio was 20:30:50. Plasma and urinary beta-hydroxybutyrate were similar on both diets. The mean 24-h integrated serum glucose at the end of the control and LoBAG diets was 198 and 126 mg/dl, respectively. The percentage of glycohemoglobin was 9.8 +/- 0.5 and 7.6 +/- 0.3, respectively. It was still decreasing at the end of the LoBAG diet. Thus, the final calculated glycohemoglobin was estimated to be approximately 6.3-5.4%. Serum insulin was decreased, and plasma glucagon was increased. Serum cholesterol was unchanged.

Thus, a LoBAG diet ingested for 5 weeks dramatically reduced the circulating glucose concentration in people with untreated type 2 diabetes. Potentially, this could be a patient-empowering way to ameliorate hyperglycemia without pharmacological intervention. The long-term effects of such a diet remain to be determined.

=====================

For women who are strength training:
    Nutrition & Metabolism 2010, 7:17
    Resistance training in overweight women on a ketogenic diet conserved lean body mass while reducing body fat

Background
    The aim of the present study was to compare the effects of 10 weeks resistance training in combination with either a regular diet (Ex) or a low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet (Lc+Ex) in overweight women on body weight and body composition.
    Conclusion
    Resistance exercise in combination with a ketogenic diet may reduce body fat without significantly changing LBM, while resistance exercise on a regular diet may increase LBM in without significantly affecting fat mass. Fasting blood lipids do not seem to be negatively influenced by the combination of resistance exercise and a low carbohydrate diet.
  • silentpost
    silentpost Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been on a diet similar to what paleo advocates for the last 4 months, and I've lost about 25 pounds. I can understand that this diet may not suite everyone (the diet can become difficult if you go out to eat a lot, for example), but any plan which advocates taking a large portion of sugar out of a person's diet is a-okay in my book.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Funny thing, your kidneys will be totally fine on just about any diet.
  • lady_daraine
    Options
    I'm on a paleo/primal diet, and it works for me when I follow it. I actually am trying to cycle though my carb intake, with a lower number during the week and a higher number on the weekends, which is easy to do with fruits, starchy roots like potatoes, and dairy (I eat it even though some paleo people won't). The way I see it is, try it for 30 days, and if it works you'll know. You'll see a lot of opposition on here for it though, so don't be suprised if this thread turns negative. :)
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I live a Paleo/Primal lifestyle and I absolutely love it! I think it is a perfect fit for alot of people. Especially if you have and blood sugar problems or potential to have them. I have no doubt that I am reversing the damage and preventing myself from being full blown diabetic like my mom and dad both are. People that eat this way are way more concerned about health benefits than weight loss. weight loss is just a great side effect! I feel great, no more blood sugars drops and spikes, my life is no longer revolved around eating my next meal. and I'm eating food i love! I have also been a meat and bread person. now i'm just a meat and veggie person. It's taking some re-training b/c I'm that person that has never really liked vegetables or even knew how to cook them! I was raised on spaghette, tacos, and beans and taters! but it is possible to change your eating lifestyle.
  • skinnybitch1987
    Options
    I don't think that any diet that doesn't include whole grains could possibly be good for you...

Sadly, this is what most people think. Kind of disappointing.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Funny thing, your kidneys will be totally fine on just about any diet.

Unless you're in advanced stage renal failure.

Then I doubt you'd be looking on MFP for dietary advice...