serving sizes in my recipes

Options
cjwolfjen
cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
hey guys,

Does anyone know how big a serving size is when you make your own recipe on here?

For example: I made rigatoni. Entered it into the recipe maker. it serves 4 people (approximately). It is 700 calories a serving. I ate 1 1/2 cups of it. How do I know how many "servings" I ate?

Replies

• michz
    michz Posts: 102
    Options
    It's your recipe - you decide. So if you said that it was 4 servings, then 1/4 of what you made/entered into the recipe is one serving. So if you made 6 cups total then 1.5 cups would be one serving. Hope that helps!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    since it's your own recipe, it's up to you to decide what size a serving is. i like to measure out my finished meal to find out how much there is in total, and depnding on what my cals are per serving, i just divide it by the number of servings that looks good.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i worked as cook in the air force and also in nursing homes for several years. for both jobs a serving size of an entree that wasn't obvious like a piece of fish or steak was an a cup or an 8oz scoop. if it was vegetables it was half a cup or a 4oz scoop. the same with rice or pasta noodles unless it was lasagna.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ok cool,

so I said it serves 4 people because the rest of my family could easily finish it off. But, they don't eat normal portion sizes, so I think it probably serves 6.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Thing is to divide it up in a serving size you are comfortable with.....recipe make 3 cups, is a 1/2c serving 100 calories and you are happy with that or is it a 1c serving and 200 calories.

My issue with this is that I don't recall what I thought was a serving...I wish I could enter that some where on this site. I need to do it on my computer to track the serving sizes but it would be nice to see it here
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Actually I forgot I did fix this in my newest addition of tuna spread by adding the portion size intended in the name of the recipe.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Weight the whole batch.
    Take out what you consider one serving and weight that.
    Divide the first number by the second to get number of servings.