zero calorie noodles?

Options
Has anybody tried them and if so what do you think?

Replies

• smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have tried them and they are like chewing on rubberbands!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. Rubberbands? LOL Oh well ... I have an order of those things on the way. This ought to be interesting!!!
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    mmmmm rubberbands.
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    LMAO :laugh:
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Wildwood Pasta Slim noodles.. I find them at whole foods and one serving is usually about 20 calories
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    fish flavored rubber bands. ewwwwwwwwww they were terrible.
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks you guys. Glad I only bought 2 little packages! I'll try to fix them tomorrow but I'm a lot less anxious to try the "fishy rubberbands" then I was!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are they actually 0 calories or is that just marketing?
    Can you share the ingredient list, I don't think they exist in Australia!
  • ewhitis
    Options
    Yam root. They say zero calories, that's about all I can get from the packaging. Saw them featured on the news so I had to try them. Will let you know my opinion by this evening! They are made up almost completely of fiber. Supposedly if u rinse them well first you will remove the "fishy" smell. Also cook them for 3 to 4 min. Similar to tofu in that they are supposed to have no real taste of their own, but absorb the flavors of whatever you cook them with. We'll see.....
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No calories...? Plant fiber...? It seems like these don't really qualify as an actual "food" in my book!

Just sayin'. :tongue:
  • ewhitis
    Options
    Ok, here's my update...I fixed the noodles with a homemade stir fry and was pleasantly suprised at the results. I rinsed the noodles thoroughly in cold water(they did have a slight fishy smell) and the smell disappeared. I then boiled them for about 5 min. Seemed to me that they lost most of the chewy texture that most people seemed to dislike. Maybe there are different varieties. Apparently this has been an Asian staple before dietiers got a hold of them. It's just my opinion but I would purchase them again.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Brand name or website please?
  • luvs2pugs
    luvs2pugs Posts: 52
    Options
    I think they are called Sharitaki or something like that. Google "konjac noodles". I saw them on the Dr. Oz show. I told my friend and she cooked them up. They were a little softer than regular noodles, but definitely edible!
  • ewhitis
    Options
    shirataki (yam noodle) If you try them let me know what you think. I found them at an international grocery store for 1.19 a bag. There are 7 ounces in a bag. Also heard that some health food stores, safeway and whole foods have them. I'd look around home before I paid 10.00 for shipping!
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    The ones that I ordered (but haven't tried yet) are called "Miracle Noodles" and, like another poster said, they're something that's been an Asian staple for years but I have to admit, that this is the first I've heard of them. I've tried the Tofu Shirataki noodles (about 20 calories for the package, made of yam flour and sold in a water filled bag in the produce department) and they're okay in certain applications. A secret made public by "Hungry Girl." BTW ... Hungry Girl now has a show on the food network where she shares many helpful tips.
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    UPDATE: I just made a dinner with these new noodles and I love 'em!!! At least, the way I fixed them. I did an Asian style dish with two packages of these noodles, two heaping cups of shredded cabbage, a handful of shredded carrots, a few sliced mushrooms, all tossed (lightly cooked) in a few drops of roasted sesame oil. Then I tossed the entire veggie mixture with the noodles (after rinsing, boiling for two minutes and then draining), and a "sauce" made up of Braggs Aminos (tastes like soy sauce, but its made of soy, no added sodium and zero calories), roasted sesame oil, Chinese Five Spice, PB2, Srirachi hot sauce and rice vinegar. This made a HUGE pan of veggies/noodles, and it served three of us. My entire dinner was a whopping 99 calories and I'm stuffed. Absolutely delicious!!!!!

I'm ordering more of these beauties tonight!!!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Another option: Tofu Shirataki noodles, made by House Foods....look for them in the refrigerated Tofu section of the grocers. I'm trying them for the first time tonight....with.....wait for it.....a HungryGirl recipe!

Hollcat
    :wink:
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I heard about these Miracle Noodles this past weekend and was very intrigued. Of course the $9/lb price was something that I couldn't swallow.

I did find this site, http://www.konjacfoods.com/product/2.htm, and the noodles there are ~$3.00/lb. That is getting more into my price range but 35lbs of noodles is a bunch!

Alas, I live in a rural town over an hour away from a metropolis so I will have to order online if I want to try these or so it appears. Thanks for letting us know that these are actually edible. I also didn't know about the fish smell.
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    I heard about these Miracle Noodles this past weekend and was very intrigued. Of course the $9/lb price was something that I couldn't swallow.

I did find this site, http://www.konjacfoods.com/product/2.htm, and the noodles there are ~$3.00/lb. That is getting more into my price range but 35lbs of noodles is a bunch!

Alas, I live in a rural town over an hour away from a metropolis so I will have to order online if I want to try these or so it appears. Thanks for letting us know that these are actually edible. I also didn't know about the fish smell.

I suspect their edible nature depends on how you make them. If you were to eat them alone, there really isn't any flavor to speak of. When you open the bag, the water they're packed in smells like fish going bad. But once you rinse them, drain them and toss them in a saucepan with water, boil them for only two minutes and then drain them, there is no flavor to speak of. The "snappy" texture of the noodle reminds me of a fresh rice noodle, so that's why we went Asian with them. I don't think they'd really work well as a pasta in Italian dishes -- they seem uniquely suited to Asian soups or stir fries.

I too live an hour outside of the city so we mail ordered these from Amazon. They came out to be something like $3/bag. I'll order a bigger order next time to bring the price down. They keep at room temperature until you open them ...

Hope that helps. Gotta love that they're zero calories. Only negative to the delicious FILLING dinner with them tonight is that the dinner lacked protein. Next time, I'll grill some chicken breasts (oriental style) and then slice them up and add them to the huge veggie/noodle stir fry. :)
  • MizzHollyDee
    Options
    You can actually make these noodles yourself at home. They are really easy to do. First you need the glucomannen powder. Yo can order it online at netrition.com for about 10 dollars a jar. A jar goes a LONG way.

First take 2 cups of COLD water. Pour it into a cold saucepan. In a seperate dish, mix 2 tsp of COLD water with 1/8 tsp pickling lime( found in the local grocers or anywhere canning supplies are sold) Going back to the cold water in the pan, sprinkle in as you stir the glucommannen powder, very slowly. It should just be a dusting at a time. once it is mixed well, add the pickling lime and whisk vigorously. Now turn on the heat and you will see it doesn't take long to become opaque. Cook it for a few minutes until you are sure it is hot. Keep stirring. Turn it out onto a wet cookie sheet or cutting board. Wet your hands, and spread it out thin as you can. Some say you can put it through a pasta machine, but I haven't tried that. Cut it into any shape you like, and then boil the shapes for about 5 minutes to remove the fishy smell. Store it in the fridge in some water or air tight bags. It lasts for about week in there. When you cook it, it does absorb the flavor of what you cook it in, so get creative. There is a site called Low carb friends that has a recipe board with puddings, sauces, soups, all sorts of things made with glucomannen.

Also, has anyone heard of Walden Foods? They are calorie free foods. Some of it isn't the best tasting stuff, but you can get creative here as well and with a zero calorie base, add some spices and things to keep it low or no calorie. You can get the Walden foods line on Netrition.com as well.

Happy dieting!