Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OT - Bit of a work rant

banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So As a "Network Guy" not many people really understand fully what I do. I work in a tech company, so more understand me then usual, but I'm still kind of out on an island. My boss peripherally knows, and the people I support are mostly programmers so they THINK they know (but they don't) so in many way's my job is harder then the average IT guy cuz people want the bigger, faster, better puter (computer).

Anyway, yesterday was one of those days, our product (the thing I support) was going a bit haywire yesterday, and it was because of the company that hosts our servers. They were of absolutely no help, and our programmers were all screamin about the "network" going up and down. Of which I have no control because it's the network of the company that hosts our servers. Anyway, I spent all day monitoring and tweaking machines and watching them go up and down and up and down and being basically frustrated at the fact that I can't do a darn thing to stop it. Meanwhile we are trying to run jobs for clients that are basically being killed 1/2 through. This is infuriating. and of course the procedure goes like this: Programmer calls me and says "The network is fluctuating, killing our tests", and me calling the hosting company, opening a ticket, and of course the network works fine while I call so they say "We aren't seeing any abnormalities." Even though I show a log of the fluctuations. so this goes back and forth for about 3 hours yesterday, I'm haggard and pissed.

I got 2500 text messages yesterday (we monitor our uptime and it sends me a message every time something bad happens on our network). Needless to say I went beyond my text message limit and I'll be expensing about $200 worth of texts (which my boss will just LOVE).

And to top it off, I didn't have a chance to eat a good meal, had to work until 7 last night, AND (like a little extra kick in the *kitten*) I didn't even get to work out yesterday! What a friggin DAY from hell!

So if anyone wonders why I haven't posted yesterday (not that you did), that's why.

Sorry, had to get that out. thanks for bearing with me.

Replies

• banks1850
    So As a "Network Guy" not many people really understand fully what I do. I work in a tech company, so more understand me then usual, but I'm still kind of out on an island. My boss peripherally knows, and the people I support are mostly programmers so they THINK they know (but they don't) so in many way's my job is harder then the average IT guy cuz people want the bigger, faster, better puter (computer).

Anyway, yesterday was one of those days, our product (the thing I support) was going a bit haywire yesterday, and it was because of the company that hosts our servers. They were of absolutely no help, and our programmers were all screamin about the "network" going up and down. Of which I have no control because it's the network of the company that hosts our servers. Anyway, I spent all day monitoring and tweaking machines and watching them go up and down and up and down and being basically frustrated at the fact that I can't do a darn thing to stop it. Meanwhile we are trying to run jobs for clients that are basically being killed 1/2 through. This is infuriating. and of course the procedure goes like this: Programmer calls me and says "The network is fluctuating, killing our tests", and me calling the hosting company, opening a ticket, and of course the network works fine while I call so they say "We aren't seeing any abnormalities." Even though I show a log of the fluctuations. so this goes back and forth for about 3 hours yesterday, I'm haggard and pissed.

I got 2500 text messages yesterday (we monitor our uptime and it sends me a message every time something bad happens on our network). Needless to say I went beyond my text message limit and I'll be expensing about $200 worth of texts (which my boss will just LOVE).

And to top it off, I didn't have a chance to eat a good meal, had to work until 7 last night, AND (like a little extra kick in the *kitten*) I didn't even get to work out yesterday! What a friggin DAY from hell!

So if anyone wonders why I haven't posted yesterday (not that you did), that's why.

• ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member

woosh!!! out w/ the baaaaad !! good boy, I'm glad you got that off your super O chest!

That must of been so suckville!!!

big hugs Banksie!! Here's hoping they reimburse you for the extra texts, and that you get in a really good stress releasing workout today AND that Mrs. Super O gives you extra snuggles tonight to make it all better!!!:bigsmile:

hugs again buddy!:flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Banks, Sorry to hear of your work problems. I remember days similar to that (not that I was a techie but had like problems in my fields of endeavor) when I was working a "real" job :wink: Hang in there, bud, it will be Friday before you know it!

Of course, you could counsel yourself by thinking of people who could be having worse days at their work than yours........

QuitComplainingAboutYourJob1.jpg
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Banks, Sorry to hear of your work problems. I remember days similar to that (not that I was a techie but had like problems in my fields of endeavor) when I was working a "real" job :wink: Hang in there, bud, it will be Friday before you know it!

Of course, you could counsel yourself by thinking of people who could be having worse days at their work than yours........

QuitComplainingAboutYourJob1.jpg

OMG Shore girl....I almost spit my coffee out over that one...WARN ME next time LOL!

hugs!
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Unfortunately it is day like that that make you appreciate the good days. :drinker: Heres to a better day.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Vent away Banks.......Vent away.......

Hope you have a MUCH better day today....try to eat well and hit the gym and you'll feel a TON better

((HUGS))
    Kim
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    ick.... sorry to hear about your crappy day banks....but when your done over there i need you to come fix my computer for me.....:laugh: just kidding I'll fix it myself:grumble:

crossing my fingers that you have a better day today...

jackie
  • banks1850
    LOL, thanks guys. Love that pic shore! So far so good, granted, nobody's in my office yet to give me a hard time, but I'll take any reprieve I can get! And hey, tomorrow, a buddy and me fly to NYC to go see the LAST EVER RedSox vs. Yankees game in "The house that Ruth built"! That should be fun. Maybe I shouldn't wear my David Ortiz shirt though huh? I wonder if they would be nicer to me if I wear my Pedro Martinez shirt. LOL! I should bring rain gear, I hear they spit on RedSox fans there.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Glad you're having a better day! and have a blast (but do take your umbrella) in NYC!
  • zanniew
    zanniew Posts: 26 Member
    Banks, you are a GEM. You hang in there. Jobs are like that. Great rant!!--sounds like the emotional workout alone burned off a few extra calories (it does, y'know!).

Your posts on MFP are valuable to SO MANY people--and it sounds like you take your work just as seriously, with just as much intelligent attention.

Far better, as someone's mother musta said, to rant than to fress.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I should bring rain gear, I hear they spit on RedSox fans there.

And sometimes on Yankees fans, too!

kramer-spit.gif
  • banks1850
    lol
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    :noway: :grumble: :noway:

Been one of those weeks all around, I swear it!!

We always miss you Banks, you're the one that keeps our hypothesis' of weight watching in check!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Have a better day soon, Mr.!
This discussion has been closed.