Killing 2 birds with one stone

Options
Mely
Mely Posts: 166 Member
I'm trying to get back into the excercise mode. I've always had to push myself even though I used to be pretty athletic when I got going. Now I get sore after every small feat. Even walking fast for 15 minutes makes me sore the next day. It's getting better but I'm taking it slow.

In order to add more excercise to my day (I work from home and sit at the PC all day!), I've been taking on cleaning tasks in the house and timing them. When you clean knowing it's going to your excercise log, it kills 2 birds with one stone. In addition, I've been walking instead of driving as much as possible which kills 3 birds with one stone (saving gas, getting my errand done and getting excercise).

Do any of you do this or is it just a feable replacement for the hard core cardio stuff??

Replies

• Mely
    Options
    I'm trying to get back into the excercise mode. I've always had to push myself even though I used to be pretty athletic when I got going. Now I get sore after every small feat. Even walking fast for 15 minutes makes me sore the next day. It's getting better but I'm taking it slow.

In order to add more excercise to my day (I work from home and sit at the PC all day!), I've been taking on cleaning tasks in the house and timing them. When you clean knowing it's going to your excercise log, it kills 2 birds with one stone. In addition, I've been walking instead of driving as much as possible which kills 3 birds with one stone (saving gas, getting my errand done and getting excercise).

Do any of you do this or is it just a feable replacement for the hard core cardio stuff??
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Yey for you for getting yourself moving! HOORAY!!! :flowerforyou:

When I first started tracking exercise I did! Because getting off the couch was quite a workout, I logged mowing the lawn, scrubbing the house, gardening, walking the 1/2 mile to the bus stop four times a day. It seemed "petty," but it was a great way to see movement in my normally lazy day. Once I logged for a few weeks and bought a heart rate monitor, I started going for different goals. I would walk or ripstick for 100 calories, then jog for 200, then workout for 300, and bike for 500, and then more!

It is definately a way to take it one bite at a time!

stone.jpg
  • Mely
    Options
    Thanks. I'm hopefully getting a heart monitor so I can really see what I'm burning and hopefully work my way back up to real cardio. Do you find that the monitor really motivates you? I've only ever used one on the treadmill at the gym.

BTW - love the picture! Did your son draw it?
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I also work from home on the pc all day well most of the day :wink: I also do the housecleaning and gauge it by time and intensity of the work i am doing, a friend showed me a site calorieking.com that gives the calories burned for these and hundreds of other activites besides the gym workouts etc. I do make time to go to curves for 30 min at least 3 days a week and i am working on increasing that slowly have a successful day :flowerforyou: