Avoiding temptation

zaza54
zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
Today is my 3rd day using mfp and I think it's great. I've already lost 3 pounds. My issue for today is how to avoid the temptation of snacks and desserts (my husband made the BEST bread pudding) with a houseful of guests coming this afternoon and for dinner. My husband plans on making Belgian waffles tomorrow morning for those people staying overnight. I just have no willpower, especially when we are sitting around a table chatting/snacking. Any ideas? Thanks!
[

Replies

• zaza54
    Today is my 3rd day using mfp and I think it's great. I've already lost 3 pounds. My issue for today is how to avoid the temptation of snacks and desserts (my husband made the BEST bread pudding) with a houseful of guests coming this afternoon and for dinner. My husband plans on making Belgian waffles tomorrow morning for those people staying overnight. I just have no willpower, especially when we are sitting around a table chatting/snacking. Any ideas? Thanks!
    [
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I drink lots and lots of water when friends are around, so I feel full and don't really want to eat as much. :flowerforyou:
  • zaza54
    Thanks. I'll try it. I have seltzer so that should be more festive than just plain water.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Also what helps me is to put that food into the diary first and see how much calories and fat it has in it. Once you see that and see how many calories you will be ingesting it just might change your mind.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • zaza54
    Another great suggestion. Thanks! I am so thrilled with mfp. Everyone is so supportive, and keeping track of everything is so user friendly.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Controlling Naughty Foods

A friend and I were talking about weight loss a while back. We both came to the strangest agreement about our favorite "bad foods"...

- - My favorite foods will always be there...
    - - I already know what they taste like, so I don't have to go back and "try it" at every opportunity...
    - - I can get that food when I have "earned" it, not when I just want it.
    - - My goal is health and love for myself, not this food.

I think at the time french fries were my favorite. That would be my lunch, with a water. YUCK! What was I thinking? :laugh:

Now I remind myself that I already know how it tastes, and I can get it next time when I know it fits into my plan, and I want to be happy without regrets later. YUM! This thought process helps me look at my favorite items and keeping ME in control, not my addiction.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    that can be so hard! i started making healthier foods i can enjoy ahead of time, for instance i made a s/f pie and while the others have the fatty sugary pie (:laugh:) i can enjoy a piece of pie with them guilt free. just an idea that works for me. I have a house guest right now that is trying to gain weight :noway: oh man talk about two opposite ends of the spectrum. He will be leaving on the 3rd of Sept. and all i can say is take that food with ya, get it outta here :tongue: he made spaghetti the other night with sausage and hamburger and just everything i shouldn't have in it. Well i was on that i made a sauce substituting portabello mushrooms for the meat, we had dinner and i enjoyed the same thing just a healthier version. :smile: have a great day and much success
  • Also what helps me is to put that food into the diary first and see how much calories and fat it has in it. Once you see that and see how many calories you will be ingesting it just might change your mind.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I've done this! it definitely helps
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    A diet soda makes you feel like you are participating without the calories. The bubbles fill you up. Also, try to eat breakfast b/f your guests so you're not hungry. For dinner, see if you can squeeze in a salad or soup b/f they arrive so you won't be ravished which will easily dissolve your will power.
  • johnD
    johnD Posts: 14
    It doesn't take a long time using MFP to realize the "value" of the food you eat. You start thinking, "Is this what I want to spend my limited amount of calories on?"
    Keep that in mind.

Plus since you have control of the enviroment, put all the snacks on separate table, (with no chairs!)instead of sitting individual snack bowls. that way you realize how much you are consuming.

Don't talk with your mouth full! And TALK more! :laugh:

Party on!:drinker:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Well in the future I'd put my foot down about the menu planning, :tongue: but for now I recommend this. Log your food ahead of time like they suggested - with appropriate portions, and then before anyone gets there, try and burn enough calories that you will come out fine at the end of the day. I mean if you log it in and it looks like you're going to go over 400 calories, then get in a 400 calorie work out today. Also, put out a salad and some veggies. Chances are you're not the only one trying to eat healthier.

Good luck and enjoy your party!