/getting bummed out...

jenchristy79
jenchristy79 Posts: 3
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
i've been staying around 273 and 274 for about 2 weeks... yesterday i went way over my calories and now i'm up 4 pounds... i've lowered my calorie intake and i'm tring to exercise every day or every other day... does anyone have any other suggestions???

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    one thing is i would try to drink more water , i always do better when i drink alot of water
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    maybe drinking at least 8 glasses of water and also eating fruits and vegetables. You are eating basically carbs and not much protein or fruits and veggies. A diet needs to be well rounded not just under the calories as the foods work together to promote weight loss.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DTatum
    DTatum Posts: 15
    Water will certainly help, but it is also important to remember that your body will go through plateau times. Step up your workout routine a little because your body will become used to whatever you are doing and begin to think it is routine activity. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Keep working! Don't let yourself get upset :) Work out and know that you are doing a great job! Sometimes it just takes you keeping on going.
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180 Member
    I took a peak at your diary.......

You should try to have a healthy carb & protein with "every" meal & snack. Protein will keep you full longer. Eat more veggies & fruits. And track your sodium intake. =) I do ALL of these and it helps A LOT!
    And it appears that you're not eating back your workout calories(or at least today you did not). I know that it sounds dumb for you to go and burn say 400 calories during a workout and then eat back about 75% of those calories that you burned......but I've been doing it for the 6+ weeks that I've been on MFP and I've lost 17 lbs so far.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    In addition to the other posts - drink more water & add fresh fruits & veggies - I would suggest changing your settings to track your sugar and sodium. Based on your diary, they are probably both quite high, which is also not helpful to weight loss.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Keep your spirits up. I thiunk you would do better adding more protein into your diet. Lean meats. Eggs or egg white. Through some almonds or other nuts in there while you are at it.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    In addition to the other posts - drink more water & add fresh fruits & veggies - I would suggest changing your settings to track your sugar and sodium. Based on your diary, they are probably both quite high, which is also not helpful to weight loss.

PS - it's a learning process, so try not to get discouraged - just keep plugging away making changes one at a time!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Don't leet it get you down, it happens to all of us from time to time. Plus, while the scale is reflecting a 4 lb gain, you probably didn't actually gain that much. Each lb. is about 3,500 calories, so to truly gain 4 lbs. you would need to eat your BMR + 14,000 calories. Just drink some water, get back at it, and you'll feel right as rain :wink:
  • raqtor
    raqtor Posts: 8 Member
    One advice .. or two.

Be careful in trusting the calories burned in exercise. The numbers are best guesses and most of us overweight people have our bodies build of more fat than muscle. So we do not burn that much calories when working out.
    If the diary/calculator tells you you have burned 600 calories. I would suggest you read it as 300 calories. .. At least don't eat 600 calories more because you worked out.

Also if you have to eat carbs. Try to stay away from the really bad carbs like:
    Suger
    Wheat
    Rice
    Pasta (wheat again)
    corn
    Even potatoes

Also. . Without getting tested its hard to know. But some of us might have a slight tendency towards type 2 diabetes which could give a slight imbalance in insulin which makes our muscles burn less glucose. . . In that case we would need to eat even less calories.

Most important. Make sure you don't eat stuff you really dislike or exercise in a way you really dislike. Loosing weight is supposed to be a joyful thing. A lot of hard work but it is supposed to be good. Loosing weight takes time and you will have a hard time lasting all the way through if you do stuff you hate.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    I took a look at your diary and it does seem like you eat a lot of processed food and drink mostly diet sodas. Not that it's necessarily bad, but diet sodas to cause bloat, so you might try to cut back. Also, try eating more natural foods rather than stuff that comes in a package: lean meats, frozen veggies, frozen fruit, whole wheat bread, organic versions of anything you buy... I do believe your body responds to the type of food you eat, so you should be mindful of what you're eating, not just how much.
This discussion has been closed.