Fitness dummy with a question about walking/treadmill

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi

I was reading increasing the incline on your treadmill will help burn more cals
So, to burn more cals and change things up...that's what I did...
BUT I'm burning the SAME number of cals...but sweating a ton more...
The other issue is that I'm having pain in my knees etc....so I guess back down the treadmill goes

Any ideas to spice up my treadmill walk (burn more cals)

For now I walk about 30-45 min every day...
Start off at 3.5 for a few then bump up to 4.2-4.4...then cool off for a few...
Overall, I burn about 250 cals (give or take..I always assume less than my treadmill indicates)

Thanks, kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was reading increasing the incline on your treadmill will help burn more cals
    So, to burn more cals and change things up...that's what I did...
    BUT I'm burning the SAME number of cals...but sweating a ton more...
    The other issue is that I'm having pain in my knees etc....so I guess back down the treadmill goes

Any ideas to spice up my treadmill walk (burn more cals)

For now I walk about 30-45 min every day...
    Start off at 3.5 for a few then bump up to 4.2-4.4...then cool off for a few...
    Overall, I burn about 250 cals (give or take..I always assume less than my treadmill indicates)

Thanks, kim
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I found the other day that I burned more than the treadmill told me. But then again I weigh quite a bit. I would think that if your workout is more intense and that should happen with the incline than you should burn more calories.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor???? you definately burn more at an incline cause your walking uphill gets your heartrate going faster.....

i know i do lol
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I do intervals on my treadmill walks to help limit the strain on joints. So, I start at 4.0 incline for 4 minutes and then boost up to 8.0 for 1 min and repeat that cycle every 5 min for an hour. I suspect that the degree of change is not quite enough for you to see a big caloric difference and if it's hurting your knees it is not worth it!

Good luck!:flowerforyou: