Polar F4 heart monitor questions

Options
Mely
Mely Posts: 166 Member
I've heard this is a good device especially if I want it to count calories. The downs I've read are:

1. Proprietary battery that is hard to replace
2. no back light on the watch (hard to see at night).

Any comments?

Also, if I want to share with my husband, should I just order the men's version or will the strap be too big? I assume it's adjustable.

All comments welcome.

Replies

• Mely
    Options
    I've heard this is a good device especially if I want it to count calories. The downs I've read are:

1. Proprietary battery that is hard to replace
    2. no back light on the watch (hard to see at night).

Any comments?

Also, if I want to share with my husband, should I just order the men's version or will the strap be too big? I assume it's adjustable.

All comments welcome.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    As far as I can remember, the F4 was only 10 bucks or so cheaper than the F6 on amazon. The F6 has a backlight on it. As far as the strap goes I think you should be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    The F6 is a little better, but I don't even notice the back light, it's not like it's a watch that you would use in the dark (who exercises in the dark?) Generally, if it's bright enough to jog, it's bright enough to see your polar.

As to the battery, on many of the models you just send it in for battery replacement. But they last a few years so it's not so big an issue.

As for sharing it. Sure you can, the issue with that is, that you have to input your numbers for the polar too calculate your calories correctly, that means that every time you want to switch it, you would have to re-set up the user for them (which might end up being a pain because it takes a couple of minutes).
  • Mely
    Options
    Oh - didn't think about inputting the numbers. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    I've had the woman's Polar F4 in red for about a year and I love it. It actually does have a back light which was a surprise (you have to push a button to get it to light). I have one with a medium strap. I'm 5'7" and 163 lbs. I've had to adjust the band to fit tighter as I've been loosing weight. It is adjusted about 3/4 of the way to the tightest setting. I'm sure that when I reach my goal weight of 135 lbs. it will be adjusted as small as it will go. I use this heart rate monitor almost every day, about 6 days a week, and I've never had to replace a battery. You would need to send the strap in to get that battery changed eventually.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what would happen when the battery died!! Mine is an F4 and I LOVE it. I got it because F6 has so many features I wouldnt be using so I took this one. And yeah as Mia said it does have a back light!
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    I was wondering what would happen when the battery died!! Mine is an F4 and I LOVE it. I got it because F6 has so many features I wouldnt be using so I took this one. And yeah as Mia said it does have a back light!

I got my F4 for the same reason as Carrie. I thought that the F4 was more simple than the F6. I don't need the extra features or extra buttons. I'm happy with my decision, too.
  • Mely
    Options
    Hmmm, F4 or F6. Since I'll be sharing with Hubby, he likes to get bells and whistles even if he won't be able to figure out how to use them. I think I'll look at the F4 again though, especially if it has a back light afterall.

Thanks!