New HRM...is BPM too high?

Options
My wonderful husband and son's just gave me a new HRM for Mother's Day. It's the Polar FT4 which allows me to enter weigh, height, sex, and age and it does have a chest strap so from what I understand it's pretty accurate. It says that my range should be between 124 and 162. I've only gotten to use it twice, but both times my highest BPM was around 196. I was only staying within my range for around 10 minutes for a 30-45 minute workout. I'm curious to see if this is "normal". Tonight when my HRM started beeping at me like crazy telling me that I was outside of my range I tried to slow down and get my heart rate down, but I'm certain before my HRM I was working just as hard and not stopping so I want to be sure that I still burning as much as I can. So, my questions:

-Is being "outside" of my range for this long "normal":
-Is a BPM of 196 something I should be worrying about?
-Does this seem accurate?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    The "range" is just the Cardio range. No you shouldn't worry. It's ok.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Turn off that little alarm, it will drive you crazy :laugh:
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate has always been high, and because of this, my range is generally higher as well. Doesn't hurt me any :)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Great gift. Mines once said 122-180. I got to the 180. After some loss, now its 117-160. Your family loves you. They didnt scimp.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    No, enjoy it while you can your heart rate will fall and therefore so will your calorie burn =)
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Just turn off the alarm. It will drive you crazy! It is normal for your heart rate to go that high.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    196 bpm is completely normal. Means you are working hard! As long as you don't feel like you are dying, you are doing just fine. I'd turn the alarm off though, it'll drive you crazy! hahaha

as you get more fit, your bpm will go down and it will adjust your cardio zone appropriately. Don't forget to reset your weight as well as you lose weight. :)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    LOL, yet another thing in the modern world to "drive us crazy"....

That little alarm is irrrrrrrrrrrritating. But I love the "timer" function with the alarm...(a separate alarm , BTW - if you turn off one, the other still works)

- I use my timer alarm for everything...including reminding me to eat.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Your high BPM should be your 220-age. You really should try to stay between 60 and 85% of your maximum heart rate to burn calories/fat. It's better to exercise longer at a lower intensity, especially when you are trying to get fit or lose weight. Going over your maximum heart rate is not beneficial to you in any way. When it beeps at you just slow down a bit. Try and find a steady pace that keeps your heart rate in "the zone."
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Related question - if your heart rate is over the 60-85% range during a shorter workout, do you burn any more/longer after you stop?

I have 3 kids 4 and under, and most days a longer workout at lower intensity isn't an option - I get what time i can :) Just wondering if I should be working at the lower intensity for the 20-30mins that I do get, even if that's all I can do, or if the higher intensity for that same 20-30 mins would benefit me...
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Related question - if your heart rate is over the 60-85% range during a shorter workout, do you burn any more/longer after you stop?

I have 3 kids 4 and under, and most days a longer workout at lower intensity isn't an option - I get what time i can :) Just wondering if I should be working at the lower intensity for the 20-30mins that I do get, even if that's all I can do, or if the higher intensity for that same 20-30 mins would benefit me...

in my opinion, it's about the calories. You won't burn near as many calories doing a low intensity workout for 1/2 hr as you will doing a high intensity workout for the same time frame. I should think that you'd burn at a higher rate after a harder workout than a milder one.

more calories out than in equals weight loss. If you've only got half an hour or so...make them count! :)
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Thanks Windi, I've always figured if I can work at a higher intensity without feeling too awful, that at least I'm burning more cals that way. I haven't had my HRM long enough to see what works better for me, but it looks like some experimentation is in order :P