Weight of meats? Cooked or Raw

Options
when you chose a meat to log from the database and it is just listed In general, are you logging that as the weight before or after cooking? I see a lot of diary entries that say " chicken breast- 6oz " or "tilapia filet- 4oz" is this the cooked or raw weight?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The weights are generally for the raw meat unless they say "cooked" in the description. I usually log it by cooked weight because it just ends up more convenient for me to weigh after cooking.

Edited to add:
    So far it's been pretty reliable for me to just enter things like "chicken breast cooked" (without quotes) when searching for food, and it brings up some good entries to choose from. As opposed to just searching for "chicken breast" and having to manually search for the cooked ones.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    good question I'd like to know also. I weighted my fish before and after one time and it seemed to be lighter after I cooked it. :huh:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Weights for things like meat, oatmeal, pasta, etc. are normally uncooked because cooking either cooks out or adds water, which doesn't affect the nutritional content.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    raw
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Raw. Before you cook it. When you cook it you may lose some water weight, but shouldn't be more than an ounce. Better to over shoot than under.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    yeah, unless it's really fatty, like steak or hight fat fish, I don't think the nutritional content would change alot, but it isn't just water that cooks out, the fat does too.

I always use Mike's numbers, and weight before cooking. Don't get too hung up on these things.....
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Weights for things like meat, oatmeal, pasta, etc. are normally uncooked because cooking either cooks out or adds water, which doesn't affect the nutritional content.

Excellent way to put it!