I KNOW how to do this!

Thexplodingirl
Thexplodingirl Posts: 80
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
I just need to complain a little. It might make me some enemies.

When I first started MFP I set myself on a mission to find the LOWEST calorie yummy foods around at any cost. I've evolved to looking for the lowest calorie, lowest sodium, highest protein, fiber or potassium yummy foods around at any cost. And putting them all into my belly.

Yum! Great, right? Well there's this whole side effect of constantly being under my calories even though I'm CONSTANTLY eating. After winning an argument with my husband I've decided to try at least 2 weeks meeting a NET of 1200 (my mfp goal is 1210, so I don't have much wiggle room), even with my avg. 500 calorie/day workouts on weekdays and 1k+ calorie/day workouts on weekends.

I've already decided to look into a protein powder to help me meet my calories, but also I'm realizing I need to incorporate more regular calorie foods into my diet. I already eat lots of nuts, I don't avoid bread or cheese but I don't eat it on a regular basis, I need more avocado.... I don't want to dump my whole bag of steam-able fresh veggies, but they're sooooooooo low calorie and soooooo filling (and delicious with hot sauce!).

I'm just thinking about this a lot lately. And I wonder how rest days, like today after hiking 11 miles this weekend I needed it, are going to affect my metabolism? I burned 84 calories today walking very very gingerly just trying to work it out a bit.

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    A little perspective on wiggle room....

i'm not sure this will be up your alley, but I swear it saved me.
    At first I didn't think I had much wiggle room between 1200 and 1240, but then...

It dawned on me that it's not hitting a number exactly, but falling within a range consistently...
    So, I went to the goals section and kept playing with the data I input. to get the following info
    You can figure out yours, but here's the idea...

To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal (target)

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal

To maintain my GOAL weight I get 1670 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my CURRENT weight I get 1720 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target goal 500 cal
    I should not gain. So I'm not losing any ground. (I can take a break and then pick-up where I left off)

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.

I know you are having a hard time getting enough calories. and YAY you for watching your nutrition. But this helped me relax a little about hitting the number exactly.
This discussion has been closed.