any martial artists out there?

Options
HI,
I am looking for any martial artistes who is are on this site.
I am training for my 2nd degree black belt in Shorin Ryu Karate as taught by Grandmaster Eizo Shimabukuro.
I think it would be great to encourage each other to lose the wight and be great martial artiest.
Thanks

Replies

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think there are quite a few around. Just have to get em to check out the forum posts. :wink:
  • getthinforever
    Options
    I'm 2nd Dan in TKD. It was when I was going through my 2nd Dan test (huffing and puffing way too much) that I determined to lose some weight. All the technique in the world doesn't help if you're dragging around the dojang...
  • NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Kendo fan here! Martial arts have got to be the most fun way to lose cals in a short workout period. Though the uniforms aren't too flattering generally...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1st Purple in TKD. It was when I tested for purple and then watched a black belt test that I decided I needed to step it up in the fitness department. There is no way I'd be able to go through all my forms, break and then spar several people in my current condition! Plus I really love TKD and want to be more fit so I can enjoy it better. :)
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a Kendoist and part time instructor at a local dojo. It's a whole lot of fun and a great workout, especially when wearing all the armor! One day I should weigh myself with it all on and see how much more it adds! I also do Karate occasionally.
  • Amy1066
    Amy1066 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would love to try Kendo, we work with a lot of weapons at our dojo. I work for a small Japanese company and all the guys took it in school.
  • Amy1066
    Options
    I was so wiped out after my last test, it is good motivation to get in shape.
  • Amy1066
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great in TKD, I could never kick that high, good thing people from Okinawa are short, we just aim for the gut and even that target gets lower as I get older :-) Keep at it!
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Alright, just weighed myself in armor. I'm 184ish, and with my armor I weighed in at 194. That wasn't including the hakama and keikogi, which adds another 2 pounds or so. So yeah, think about adding on 12 - 15 pounds and doing some of the most intense cardio drills -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jZ-3yktpHU&amp;feature=related <--- A Slow Drill :)
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    TKD (brown) and kempo (yellow) here, and my fitness goals are all martial arts related.

I'm very proud to say that after 4 months of Turbo Jam and HIIT on the elliptical, I now have AWESOME cardio endurance. I can keep up with anyone of any size for six minutes (not in technique, you understand!!--just in still being able to breathe). That was a really important goal for me b/c I started not able to go a full 2-minute round in sparring, so I'm pretty excited about it. I used to hate sparring, and now I LOVE IT.

My big fitness goals are to weigh less and get stronger. I'm 5'3" and 189, with all my weight concentrated in my midsection, so that throws off my balance and makes it hard for me to maneuver quickly.