Easy breakfast ideas?

Options
mechanicmom
mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
I need some variety. I have decided to get off of wheat for awhile to see if I feel better. I can't stand oatmeal (wish I could!) and I am tired of eggs (did South Beach last year and it worked but I am so burned out on eggs!). I do not mind cereal but it doesn't seem to fill me up that well and most of it contains wheat. I make gluten free pancakes and breads because my son is on the GF/CF diet. I eat those things too, pancakes with agave nectar to cut down on sugar and calories. I know having bread for breakfast isn't that healthy either. I know I can eat anything I want for breakfast but I think most of us have a mind set of what we should eat for breakfast. So if you have any ideas please share. I uderstand there's fruit and yogurt but I think I am looking for something more filling. I try to make breakfast my bigger meal of the day. Thanks!
Melissa

Replies

• mechanicmom
    Options
    I need some variety. I have decided to get off of wheat for awhile to see if I feel better. I can't stand oatmeal (wish I could!) and I am tired of eggs (did South Beach last year and it worked but I am so burned out on eggs!). I do not mind cereal but it doesn't seem to fill me up that well and most of it contains wheat. I make gluten free pancakes and breads because my son is on the GF/CF diet. I eat those things too, pancakes with agave nectar to cut down on sugar and calories. I know having bread for breakfast isn't that healthy either. I know I can eat anything I want for breakfast but I think most of us have a mind set of what we should eat for breakfast. So if you have any ideas please share. I uderstand there's fruit and yogurt but I think I am looking for something more filling. I try to make breakfast my bigger meal of the day. Thanks!
    Melissa
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruit!
  • pamelawilliams
    Options
    Hi:
    I love Cheerios, 1/2 banana, nut-rition (Planters mixed nuts for digestive health), skim milk. I also take two fiber tablets with this for digestive health. The combination is very filling and moderate in calories (427). Good luck :smile:

85625.png
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I love a wrap with turkey slices (or eggs ha!) and spinach all rolled up together. I use brown rice wraps (130 cal) and warm them, then add 2 slices turkey and spinach and roll it up.

I find it filling and quick and different than cereal. I have a problem with cereal because I keep adding more and more to it and tend to eat out of the box later in the evening so I keep it out of my house. Savory to me was a nice change.

Hope this helps.
  • kewright
    kewright Posts: 18
    Options
    try making smoothies

first, stock your freezer with 4 oz nonfat yogurts (any flavor you prefer)
    then, peel a bunch of bananas & place in a ziploc bag in freezer

In a blender add 1 yogurt; 4 oz milk; 1 frozen banana; & any other frozen fruit if you desire (strawberries, mangoes, etc); I also add a scoop of protein powder - delicious, healthy & filling!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I keep these things around for easy breakfasts:

Thomas Light Multi-Grain English Muffins
    Eggo Lite Nutri-Grain Waffles
    Lite Yogurts (I love the Yoplait Lite Flavors)
    Lite String Cheese
    Fiber One Cereals (Love the Honey Clusters)
    Skim Milk
    Light or Natural Peanut Butter
    Fiber One Bars
    Bananas, Berries and other fruit

I love one of the english muffins with 1 tbsp of peanut butter

Or even an Eggo Waffle sandwich with the peanut butter in the middle and a few banana slices

A bowl of cereal and fruit is great or yogurt and fruit

Fiber One Bars and a piece of fruit are a great QUICK breakfast
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    I love a wrap with turkey slices (or eggs ha!) and spinach all rolled up together. I use brown rice wraps (130 cal) and warm them, then add 2 slices turkey and spinach and roll it up.
    Hope this helps.

Where do you get your brown rice wraps? I have found some rice tortillas in the freezer section at a health food store but I haven't gotten them because they are pricey and I'm afraid I won't like them. They only come six to a pack and it worked out to like a $1.25 per tortilla. I don't mind having bacon and eggs in a tortilla but again, wheat is the issue right now so flour tortillas are out.
    Thanks!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I am so on the same boat with the eggs thanks to South Beach!! That and chicken. ugh. (unless it's super deep fried and way bad for you! :laugh: )

But! I need the protein and shakes give me the sugar shakes, bad! What I'm doing right now is I make the Vegetable Quiche Cups to-go out of the SB cookbook, but I used half the spinach and subed the rest of the veggies and onions with hot salsa. (I don't use egg substitutes either! bleh!:sick: ) You can make those and have your bacon (drool) on the side.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

Where do you get your brown rice wraps? I have found some rice tortillas in the freezer section at a health food store but I haven't gotten them because they are pricey and I'm afraid I won't like them. They only come six to a pack and it worked out to like a $1.25 per tortilla. I don't mind having bacon and eggs in a tortilla but again, wheat is the issue right now so flour tortillas are out.
    Thanks!

Uh, fellow Texan, what about corn tortillas???:wink:
    Usually only 50 calories each.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Do corn tortillas taste good with eggs and bacon though? Being a Texan I relate corn tortillas to Mexican food. :laugh:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Do corn tortillas taste good with eggs and bacon though? Being a Texan I relate corn tortillas to Mexican food. :laugh:

Why not? Migas are just corn tortillas with eggs and pico. I usually have breakfast tacos on corn because it saves about 200 calories for two tacos - which is another thing you could have for breakfast.
  • Fab140
    Options

oooo yea!! make a breakfast taco with a little cheese and maybe some salsa.....mmmmmmmmm......oo, some black beans too.....

ok, drooling now!
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I get my brown rice wraps from Earth Fare- they are made by Food for Life. I am allergic to wheat so I end up having to pay more for some things like this to have more options. But I dont remember how much they were- there are 6 of them and I cant imagine they were more than $3-4
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options

I'm gluten and wheat (& dairy and egg and garlic and almond) free for a dozen years. I use corn tortillas a lot of ways. Get a good quality tortilla (there are a lot of yuck brands) and heat it until it is pliable and flexible.

I use them instead of bread b/c I don't like the other bread alternatives. I use them for wraps, for any kind of sandwich filling (except bp &j) and also, torn up, as a dipper in some soups.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Why not? Migas are just corn tortillas with eggs and pico. I usually have breakfast tacos on corn because it saves about 200 calories for two tacos - which is another thing you could have for breakfast.

Yummy! I'm a big fan of breakfast tacos, too. I guess living in TX for a few years really influenced my eating habits! I haven't used corn tortillas for breakfast, yet, but they sound like a great alternative to flour(all those carbs). I know chorizo isn't the healthiest, but in breakfast tacos it tastes great! Just be sure to drain well and soak up extra fat with a paper towel. Add some tomatoes (no eggs for you, though lol) and green peppers and a little pico. Lots of flavor for the morning! I like a side of fresh fruit with mine to balance it all out. I save this bad-boy breakfast for a killer cardio day.

Cheers!:drinker:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    All right I think I will try the corn tortillas for breakfast tomorrow. How do you get them soft enough without having to use oil? I have microwaved them for about 15 seconds before and they still fall apart.
    I didn't think about them being lower in carbs and calories! Duh! :laugh:
    We'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. That way maybe my son can have burritos for breakfast too.
    I am going to get more yogurt this week and maybe find some low fat, gluten free granola or something to mix things up a bit. I will still have muffins and pancakes (gluten free of course).
    Thanks you guys for your help!
  • Fab140
    Options
    All right I think I will try the corn tortillas for breakfast tomorrow. How do you get them soft enough without having to use oil? I have microwaved them for about 15 seconds before and they still fall apart.
    We'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. That way maybe my son can have burritos for breakfast too.
    I am going to get more yogurt this week and maybe find some low fat, gluten free granola or something to mix things up a bit. I will still have muffins and pancakes (gluten free of course).

You can buy the uncooked ones. In NM, we have them right next to the tortillas. As for cooking them without oil....I would google that....sorry :tongue:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Easy Breakfast 101; banana, peanut butter, glass of milk (optional). Done. anything else I can do for you, lol? :tongue:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Dampen a paper towel with water and wrap them loosely in it. Place in microwave for 20 seconds and you should be good. :glasses:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I have to bring a breakfast on the go so I mix dry cereal ( corn flakes, quaker squares, etc) with some raisins and peanuts for a little breakfast trail mix. I've got the fruit, wheat and protein covered and it keeps me going! Of course any other nuts or dried fruit would work as well.